Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Provider Distribution Point Issue

Options
  • 10-07-2023 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

Had an Eir installer out last week to install broadband, he came out and said the house is tagged to the wrong distribution point (a distribution point further away in the neighbouring estate, even though there are a couple closeby to the house in the current estate). Said it would need to be tagged to closest distribution point.

Got back onto Eir who are onto OpenEir trying to sort it out, not sure who it lies with to fix it but both saying its the other and still no fix, although sounds like its the two of them need to come together.

Told Eir I was going to cancel order (go with Virgin) as now nearly two weeks without internet! 

Guy in Eir said I will face the same issue with Virgin as its a distribution point tagging issue.

Not sure how true that is as I am not familiar with how it all works, does anybody have an idea?

Even if Virgin were quicker to sort it out, I would just cancel my order and go with them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

virgin has nothing to do with eir or their distribution points, therefore you should have no issue with going with virgin and being connected to their network

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Inforapenny

Thanks. That is what I thought, but wanted to double check in case there is something else at play that I am not familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭RobiePAX

As mentioned above Eir and Virgin Media don't share cables. The rep probably didn't want to lose the sale so he lied to you. Or he's genuinely undertrained and he believes what he said. It's true that many providers use OpenEir but Virgin Media is not one of them.

Its up to OpenEir to correct details about your address. But its up to provider (Eir in your case) to make this request for correction. You are also back at the queue with engineers so you would have to wait at least 1-2 weeks before they come again.

Virgin Media definitely would be faster if you need it asap.

Thanks, still waiting on OpenEir to correct the issue. Eir have been chasing them in fairness and giving me updates daily.

Only wanted to go with Eir as easier to switch in a years time to Sky/Vodafone and whoever else uses the same line.

If I get Virgin, I will be switching in a years time but will need another install. Also, seen a Virgin install elsewhere and two big boxes needed to get broadband, seemed a bit overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

its an openeir issue, will take a few weeks generally to resolve.

• Advertisement

Thanks, that is my fear!!

Away for a week, so its not as urgent but still need it fairly soon.

Was thinking of ordering Virgin anyway and arranging an install date for 10 days time and if Eir/OpenEir step up in the meantime then cancelling my Virgin order just before installation. If Eir don't step up just proceed with Virgin.

Eir are not currently in the estate most people using Virgin or Vodafone(on Siro line I think), so I feel like I am the guinea pig for Eir.

Advertisement