Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is Coolmine?

• 05-07-2023 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My partner and I are looking to buy a house. We are looking at a couple of properties in Cooline (St Mochta's Vale and surrounds). Can anybody shed some light on how the area is with regards safety, amenities? Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭AlanG

Hi,

you won't go wrong with this area. Generally quite settled and good amenities. Close enough to both the train station and center. There are loads of good shops in the coolmine ind estate although it is not exactly a lovely shopping experience. Schools around tend to be quite good and afik not too much anti social activity. Traffic can be a bit of a pin down to the N3 at certain times but the upgrades to the bus and train networks that are kind of in progress will greatly improve your public transport options if you are willing to walk to the station or interchange in blanch.

The area does lack a village center but the Clonsilla inn has decent food and has bands playing and there are some good restaurants in Blanch village. both Castleknock and Periguines GAA are good clubs and Mochtas, Verona and Castleknock soccer clubs are within walking distance. I feel the area lacks nice places to walk but millenium park and the canal bank are not too bad.

it's a pretty mature area so, while I'm sure some people may have horror stories I don't think there is any major anti social problem in that particular area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Safety is fine, loads of amenities. Great for public transport if that matters.

One thing to consider is the St Mochtas estate and the estates immediately around it (Windmill, Station Court and Portersfield) have very high levels of renters. That's not a problem but if you're picturing a "forever home", might be something to think about.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Coolmine is a lovely area, very close to all the key amenities of Dublin 15 including the Blanchardstown SC, schools, the commuter rail service to Docklands/Connolly and the Royal Canal and green belt around Luttrellstown for pleasant walks.

In terms of housing, Coolmine is split into two areas - the estates off Clonsilla Road and Coolmine Road towards Blanch village were built in the late 1960s and early 1970s by McInerney and other developers including Kirkpatrick, Rockfield, Glenville, Coolmine Boulevard etc. These are now very mature, settled and sought-after areas to raise a family.

The newer housing to the west towards Clonsilla village such as St. Mochtas and Station Court are less settled but still very pleasant.

Coolmine Community school - 50 years built and open this year - is a very good local secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rentstoohighIMO

Thanks that's very helpful to know...when you say its less settled, how do you mean? We are looking around St Mochtas. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There is a high turnover rate of people, due to the high number of rental properties and lower number of owner occupiers.

There is also a large apartment complex which is nearing completion that I'm sure you've seen - U Clonsilla – U by Urbeo - which is just round the corner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement