Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The more that comes out the murkier it gets. RTE seems to be dysfunctional.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I didn't quite understand the nuance of the discussion at the start, but my understanding was that O'Keefe and Doherty had sent formal notice that they would be unable to attend, but that O'Leary didn't bother her hole doing so, she just didn't show up. When asked about it Bakhurst said he did not make any specific attempt to request she came, and as she is no longer employed he didn't think he could demand it anyway.

No specific reasons were given for the absences, and quite frankly there is no point Doherty being there anyway, she is clearly as useless as tits on a bull. Also, is she still actually employed in any capacity? I thought she only attended previously as a former chair of the board, not a current member?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd say only criminal proceedings would get Forbes anywhere near a committee, she knew very well from the start that she would be toast if ever put to questioning.

And she definitely knows it now, just look at her mate Breda. Volunteered to come in and give her side of the story, slipped up with a throwaway comment about how she left and now a far bigger can of worms has been opened.

At the minute Forbes is a disgrace but all she has lost is her reputation, if she talks and slips up then she could end up losing a hell of a lot more than that. She won't say a **** word unless forced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Was it Imelda Muster who went to town on RTES evidence of a 'teams meeting ' between Dee Forbes and Noel Kelly and implied that the documentary evidence provided on Tuesday contradicting RTES statement was overwhelming ?

As an aside , all these investigations are going to cost a fortune , many many multiples of 75k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Eoghan Harris worked on Today Tonight and a number of their Irish Language Current Affairs Show, he brought in many of the new breed of news presenters at that time.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Based on today and the last few weeks, RTE is beyond reform. Its never going to change because of the circle the wagons culture at the top. The current CFO seems to have been one of the few external appointees in recent years and its he who accidently uncovered the mess that was RTE finances. NK pretty much runs the place and dictates everything and another behind the scenes deal will be done to get Tubridy back on air. No accountability ever. It needs to be shut down. Fund TG4, lyric, RnG, a News/Current affairs channel and a sports channel in the short term, and set up a new company away from montrose, but with no-one from the old board. And ban talent agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The disturbing thing is, I can see Ryan Tubridy returning to RTE which is gross and sick. It completely derails the credibility of RTE if he manages to swing it. No matter the many people who completely despise the guy at this point.

But it tells you all you need to know about RTE.

Staff are angry at this, with Emma O'Kelly referring to how 'this isn't about one individual', but the organisation as a whole.

And no matter how folks are trying to spin it, Tubridy wasn't ignorant that he was getting a better deal than his colleagues. I'd also have to wonder if the folks NKM represents wouldn't be ticked off at the deal he got his 'special' employee, knowing full well that it was questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Durtynell

Just you tell me now of RTE as I listened one morning some years ago. Old Jerry had some genius of money market tell listener as some millions were lost on market. I rang up and enquired of where those millions had gone to as if I had lost a tenner I would have no fagz or lunch that day...

Silly ol me of course as financial genius and Jerry try to convince of me being a fool as I deliver all sorts to nation via haulage...

Stupid feckin truck driverz...

If one were to go to court, stand before judge and give evidence. Old judge should weigh balance of evidence and decide.

If host of judge tell but one lie then judge has to believe all evidence has been a lie.

Such like as this cur Tubridy will just go away to pasture new of his mother England to tell yet more lie as is his wont...

(Paid for of course like so many crooked political whore of such as one Lawlor and his family).

Those folk always have some out, always a bolt hole, always paid for by stupid parishioner of local village...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I thought she had retired already and that S ní R was her replacement ?

Just said unable to attend .

They can legally compel people to attend an oireachtais committee but it gets messy so prefer if people attend voluntarily .

I mean to say old chap as those folk never go to court as tis not that done thingy to scope out those elderz...

Tis jus not that done thingy as fourth estate guide that mulch of stupid gardener for their purpose...

Off to me cot as I do weary of that long sorrow we are yet to perceive...

Tub if I have read right is a cousin of Jerry Ryan wife which does not really surprise me as Ireland has always been a land of not what you know as morelike of who you know sez this old Navvie...

Goodnight all on here, blessings...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

I Rang RTE 30 years ago or so to inquire why all the good movies and new shows where played after 11oc when people had to be in work in the morning and was put through to the relevant department, I was mocked as I hadn't given any consideration to the Insomniacs, so with a flee in my ear I shut my cake hole and done my penance. Probably apologised to the woman on the other end but was still annoyed about the small cohort getting the cream. Little has changed in that length of time. Toast they are but porridge on the way aswell I hope. Criminal waste of resources and crime on top of the too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,415 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Absolutely 100%.

he’ll be fûcking seriously found out if he’s able to work anywhere else on TV.

She forgot her glasses was the excuse. They were located in Ballyfin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

People saying nothing burger and using Americanism stuff should be shot with a few balls of their own meatloaf ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭riddles

It would have been convenient with the FAI story and also RTE if the referendum in 2011 had passed.

The Thirtieth Amendment of the Constitution Bill 2011, put to a referendum in October 2011, sought to empower each House to convene (possibly jointly) committees of inquiry, with powers to compel withness statements, and to make findings against citizens. The referendum was defeated by 53% to 47%.[8] In 2013 a referendum to remove the Seanad proposed extensive changes of committees. This was defeated by 51.7% to 48.3%.[9]

At a very minimum the range of payments in this case should be returned to RTE and unclear governance based payments reviewed and if due process was found to have been circumvented then a process for repaying payments initiated eg self constructed redundancy.

Is there a mechanism not to pay this licence fee - perhaps one of the 30% who don’t pay might have some tips. I have it sitting there it’s disgusting to have to pay it.

It’s even more galling to hear RTE laud itself for being an essential source of truth in an era of unchecked digital content. I would wager RTE is the complete opposite and completely and consistently ignored topics really important to communities up and down the country. Instead operating from a government agenda consistently seen in other countries throughout Europe.

This being Ireland like the Beef and planning tribunal, political corruption, the financial crash and the role of the central bank, Nama, Rehab, FAI, direct provision centres who owns them how they got the contracts, the decision to place the children’s hospital in the worst location in the country - terminal 2 cost the list can literally be endless - but all with zero accountability and this will be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭riddles

Plus one for that get shut of it

If the former late late show host is now officially labelled an entertainer , he’s probably the worst in the business whatever that is. Perhaps he could take to the stage with a musical or go on the road with a tour. I wonder would his entertainment skills raise him over 400k€ a year from a paying public?

PS I opened a request in work with HR to check if I could write my own redundancy policy which is triggered if I voluntarily resign and also if I can receive a six figure advance on my salary. I will let you know their response.

In a land where oddities thrived,

There lived a lanky man, tall and deprived.

Labeled an entertainer, though skills were few,

He cashed in fortunes, oh if only they knew!

Paid many times over, from public funds,

For talents he lacked, they were mere puns.

But he danced and pranced, with a smug little smile,

Raking in riches, in an outrageous style.

Public money flowed, ignorant to the truth,

As the tall thin man reveled, oh how uncouth!

Yet the joke was on them, for he played his part,

An alleged master of deception, with a cunning heart.

Post edited by riddles on

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

The real rot started when Tubridy decided he wanted one star on the Toy Show……..himself

He got so taken with his own ability as a song and dance man he thought he was the reincarnation of a cross between Fred Astaire and Frank Sinatra. The reality was…….well we all saw it

Director of content should have stepped in and said; hey you the stars of the toy show are the kids and the toys and if you don’t like it then bugger off to the West End and see how much they will pay for your ridiculous efforts

But no he was indulged and made the show more and more about himself year after year

A complete and utter egotistical tosser

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Troll account banned. Posts deleted. Please do not refer to this poster again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

What did he do/say re the late Christy Digham?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Someone posted about NK clients circling the wagons and listed Matt Cooper amongst them. I missed that, what did he say?

I’d be very disappointed in MC if he did as I thought he had more integrity than the others tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’m a bit confused. Do I need more coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Long live ButtersSuki!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement