Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

It would be a nice all year round route. It's nearly all seasonal stuff out of Cork. Other than the UK destinations, Cork only has about 6 all-year round city destinations. They really need to work on that. People who enjoy city breaks aren't really catered for. At least there's KLM via Amsterdam, which is handy to get to just about anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whispering1

Has anybody on this chat used KLM to go further on. Went to Amsterdam in May and loved it,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

All the time. I've gotten status with them because I pay more to fly KLM through Amsterdam to places than fly to Dublin.

Schiphol has had its problems but it all seems to be ok now. You're "against" the passport control queues going NonSchengen to Schengen and back if you fly to somewhere early morning from Cork, and then come back on the evening flights.

Recently did Cork - Amsterdam - Munich for a few days and back again. Yes, pricy, but the convenience beats it all.

Do it with hand luggage only and aim for a minimum of 1hr, 1h30m connection time to be really safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

This is where some of the future growth lies for cork. The growth of year round routes. The likes of Lisbon would be one possible destination that could go year round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, loads, almost weekly for most of last year. I use BA through heathrow too, but it's faster to transfer at AMS than change terminal at LHR, even with the annoying shengen passport thing where we get lumped in with the brits. KLM has fantastic connectivity out of AMS. Europe, Africa, middle east, far east, americas.

https://www.klm.com/travel-guide/destinations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

I used to use them a lot when my parents were still around, mostly for onward connections to Frankfurt, but also to Hamburg and Munich on business trips. I recommend going for a two-hour layover, to ensure that you have enough buffer in case there's an issue with the inbound flights, but beyond that, it's a really comfortable connecting airport.

Bit of a pro tip: if you have a longer connection, it might be worth looking at the Aspire Lounges in both the Schengen and Non-Schengen areas. They're not too expensive to get in to, pretty comfortable, and have free food, soft drinks, and a free bar! I used to have three and five hour connections respectively on my round trips to Frankfurt, and those two lounges were a godsend.

The two images below are from the lounges. The top one is the Non-Schengen lounge and the bottom one is the Schengen lounge

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whispering1

Thanks for all the tips guys. Think tis very handy not to have to change Terminals. Met a few on the Amsterdam flight that were getting trains on to Belgium. Anything beats going to Dublin Airport and I like the idea of booking with the KLM even if it costs a bit more as opposed to Ryanair (Separate flights)

Its even better when you land back in Cork, a 30 minute drive from home for me, and don't have to get the bus down from Dublin after!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also consider trains to go further on from Amsterdam.

Station is extremely convenient, downstairs in the airport. Mainland Europe right in front of you.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Schipol is a lovely and convenient airport to transit through. Of Cork's other hub airport destinations, I hate Charles De Gaulle airport and Heathrow is okay but would rather avoid it if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork-Paris Beauvais launching from Ryanair

Wednesday/Saturdays/Sundays

FR3510

Cork 19:30 - Beauvais 22:05 (Wednesday)

Cork 19:05 - Beauvais 21:40 (Saturday)

Cork 12:50 - Beauvais 15:25 (Sunday)

FR3211

Beauvais 22:30 - Cork 23:05 (Wednesday)

Beauvais 22:05 - Cork 22:40 (Saturday)

Beauvais 15:50 - Cork 16:25 (Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Good news but I wish they wouldn’t call it Paris. It’s so far from Paris. Tried it for Disneyland once and it nearly killed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Good news on Paris with Ryanair. Just checked and they will be starting the service at the end of October.

Edit- added tweet

Post edited by Douglas Eegit on

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

It's great that RyanAir are adding routes to bigger cities and not just random small ones (Barcelona, Rome, Paris). Berlin next!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Banbha32

Hmmm looking at ryanair... they must be finalising their winter schedule because you can now book seville venice valencia and rome until march. So they being kept on (differen times too)

Dropping La Rochelle, Bordeaux, Carcasonne, Sardinia etc ...(maybe summer only)

Last years winter schedule was announced first week of august so due in the next few weeks then. Hopefully some new places!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

They are all already seasonal according to the Wikipedia

Seville is a lovely option to have for a getaway in the winter

Valencia too. Although its a pity that Venice is Treviso airport and not Venice proper. They did Venice proper for a year and it was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd rather fly from Dublin than fly to Beuvais. Just too far out. Vueling to Orly was so much better

Why though? The other two airports are clearly better locations, but looking at the connections, it appears plenty of trains take and 1 hour or just over an hour. That's still a hell of a lot better than Dublin surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

2 and a half hours to Dublin on the Aircoach early in the morning is grand and sleep on the way up and on the plane. Beauvais is horrible and I have to fly with Ryanair to make it even worse. Vueling was actually a decent flight as they had good leg room and Orly whilst not the best is still a usable airport with decent transport connections to central Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I flew to Orly a lot and its public transport options are fairly poor. Its handy enough for a taxi though if you're willing to pay. Beauvais takes about the same time to get to the city centre using public transport as Orly but is obviously a lot less convenient for a taxi. When the Gran Paris Express opens this will all change.

2 and half hours from Cork to Dublin airport on an aircoach would be incredible going. To have any hope of that on a weekday you'd want to be leaving Cork in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I've had unpleasant experiences on that coach, I'll fly nearly anywhere to avoid it. People who seem to have stayed up all night, drunk off their faces, throwing up on the bus. Toilets not working, bus stuck in traffic in Dublin city center. And the amount of time I needed to add to my travel time to account for the traffic and dublin security is far too long. 2.5 hours is absolute best case, it can easily be 3 (and was 4.5 once, with a crash somewhere on the way). Plus 2 hours for dublin airport check-in and security. I usually go to Cork airport 1 hr before flights, and have either 1 hr transfer in AMS, ZHR, or 1.5 in LHR.

I haven't been to Beauvais or Orly, I don't have much work in france, so only go there occasionally for holidays or a transfer. Charles de Gaulle is one I avoid as well after a few frustrations. Their passenger information and signage is quite poor compared to other airports, I find it tricky to find my way around. And the poorly designed indoor smoking areas there makes the place reek of cigarettes.

I think it took me 50 minutes from Pyramides to Orly last time I used public transport. You go from Chatelet to Antony and then get the Orly shuttle thing.

Ya, most time when going up, I'm getting the Aircoach at 1am or so so it's quick enough getting up.Doesn't go through the city and little traffic

Whatever about using Ryanair, arrving to a **** airport and having maybe just over a 30 minute longer trip into a city each way. Nothing is worse than flying in and out of Dublin IMO, and have an extra 5 or 6 hours driving or sitting on a bus. But each to their own.

It's not ideal but it's ok. I can sleep anywhere though which definitely probably helps (I sleep most of the aircoach journey, then use the Aer Lingus lounge as i fly a lot, and then sleep on the plane). Only annoying part about Dublin is a lot of the Aer Lingus flights to Europe go from 335 which means a bus shuttle to those gates.

Not just the extra distance to Beauvais too, on departing from there, there's very little at the airport for eating/drinking, whereas Orly and CDG are better there. The Vueling flight to Orly from Cork was great for that reason as it's just a much better airport than Beuvais, and Vueling were still lower cost than Aer Lingus or Aer France

Jez some people will never be happy.

"Grand Paris Express is a group of new rapid transit lines being built in the Île-de-France region of France. The project comprises four new lines for Paris Métro, plus extensions of existing Lines 11 and 14. A total of 200 kilometres (120 mi) of new track and 68 new stations are to be added, serving a projected 2 million passengers a day"

Jesus thats just depressing compared to the palaver we get with Luas, Metron North and all that here.

So as not to derail the thread, I will say that the worst airport is Stansted. Awful awful place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think airports are often judged by their perceived "cheapness". So Stanstead and the like are disliked because they are "Ryanair airports".

I think Stanstead is a fine airport, and now well connected.

CDG is an absolute kip in my opinion, though. Used to really hate Heathrow, too but it's pretty OK these days.

Advertisement