Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I take it that answers the question. 1,000s of online hours of video, whilst being agitated by republicans, and you are struggling to find current bad behaviour 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

NI is basically the residue of Ireland that joined in the act of union 1800 so is represented by St. Patricks cross. That is what is superimposed onto the union jack along with St George's cross for England and St. Andrew's cross for Scotland.

There was no new act of union in 1921. The name Ireland was replaced by Northern Ireland in 1921 and that was about it. Alot of unionists then wanted the name Ireland to remain for what we call NI now and for the south to find a different name anyway. If that had happened i dont think there would have been any confusion about what the flag is that represents the jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Ignacius

@downcow If there is a referendum and the result is in favour of a United Ireland, then this would be the flag.

The DUP has democratic in the name. This is how that democracy works. The tricolour represents the green and orange traditions coming together. The unionists seem to be having a meltdown about their future. I don’t think they have anything to fear. They won’t be disenfranchised or made second class citizens.

• Advertisement

Nitpick: if there's a referendum in favour of a united Ireland then united Ireland can choose whatever flag it wants — probably in conjunction with making choices about other things that it wants. In a united Ireland downcow's community will of course be involved in, and will contribute to, that decision. I don't think any of us get to decree in advance what the decision will be. That is how democracy works.

Why would that be the flag? Are you just deciding this undemocratically?

The flag of the former kingdom of Ireland — the one that merged into the UK in 1801 — was a gold harp on a blue field. There was often a crown superimposed on the the harp but there was no official warrant for that.

That didn't really fit into the union flag, so instead they added a red saltire, which fitted much better. That had never been the national flag but it did have some established Ireland-related use, e.g. in the badge used by the Order of St. Patrick.

People in the UK nowadays are used to seeing the English and Scottish flags, but in the nineteenth and for much of the twentieth century they were rarely or never seen in the wild; their use was entirely supplanted by the union flag. The same was true in Ireland; the harp-on-a-blue-field disappeared more or less completely. But other suggested national flags were proposed and were flown, mainly by nationalist separatists of one flavour or another. The tricolour, as we know, dates from the 1840s. The Fenians used several flags, but mainly a gold harp on a green field. The tricolour didn't become the dominant flag used by nationalists until 1916 and beyond.

The tricolour was of course adopted by the Iish Free State. North of the Border, Stormont adopted a flag as the flag of the government of Northern Ireland, but did not adopt a flag for NI itself — I think they saw no need since there was at the time no practice of using flags for the different parts of the UK.

I don't think it's right to say that, in 1922, they wanted NI to be called "Ireland" — that would have been too obviously silly. They were happy with "Northern Ireland", and they continued to use "Southern Ireland", the name which had been proposed for the 26 counties when it was proposed that it, too should remain part of the UK, but with home rule.

In 1922 the 26 counties became the "Irish Free State", and then "Eire"/"Ireland" in 1936. When the Republic of Ireland Act 1949 was passed, declaring Ireland to be a republic, there was a suggestion in Stormont that NI should become "Ulster", but the government in Westminster squashed that idea fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No, I am not going to upload the videos here.

These guys (the band) have a long history of agitation and were banned from parading in this town for it before. Accusations that they were flying a UVF flag in their parade yesterday as well as removing local flags. (plenty of pics of the flag on Twitter)

Silly behaviour by all concerned but I think the Parade Commission will not look favourably on this band antagonising and tauting in a predominately nationalist town that had facilitated them to parade in the town again after some awful behaviour that got them banned originally.

We'll see what happens when all the evidence is reviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Out of curiosity, should Unification occur would you object to the gold harp on a blue field being (re)adopted as the flag of this island?

I do understand that many from your community wouldn't feel comfortable with a tricolour regardless of the original intent of the flag. I'm not particularly wedded to specific flags or anthems, though I'm sure that some ideas exist that I would object to also.

In that scenario I think there would be disperation to hold until as much northern Irish as possible. I’m not sure many would be a fan of the harp (although it has a strong military connection for us

I think there would be good possibilities for green and blue. They are the couloirs of the ni football team and we have grown very comfortable with them - ironically, as long as there was no orange mixed in with the green. That’s an absolute no no

dont be getting carried away, it’s not happening, but if you want to dream :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Just to correct you on the Union Flag.

The flag is the co-joining of three flags. The flag of St George represents England and Wales, the flag of St Andrew represents Scotland, and the flag of St Patrick represents Ireland. The flag was not changed in 1921 to include the red hand of Ulster. (Again, the using the name - Ulster for NI is wrong - because only four counties of Ulster make up NI).

It is common for people from everywhere to equate England as representing the whole of the UK, or various parts of it.

This is not surprising since England is used in many institutions of the UK, whether they are restricted to England or not.

Just to name a few - the monarchy is referred to as King/Queen of England who is the head of the Church of England. The language is English. The central bank is the Bank of England. The legal system is English Law. John Lennon wrote how 'the English Army had just won the war'.

Westminster is in England. The devolved nations do not include England. A constitutional question - 'The West Lothian Question' - deals with the special case that arises from this.

Plus many other examples.

I am sure an interesting PhD thesis could be written about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is an option for any other, which would include Irish.

Wanting to be in the EU does not equate to wanting a united Ireland.

A good history of the evolution of the flag here and a recomendation for the 4 provinces one used by IRFU, which would be fine by me.

Ah now, let's not play silly buggers. There's not a hope in hell that you actually believe that is how the average person would read that question.

I don't think wanting to be in the EU directly correlates with wanting Unification. It does however create a new demographic who didn't exist pre-Brexit; those who were content with the status quo but who value EU membership over being part of the UK. How large or small that demographic is, I have no idea.

My key takeaway was that the figures presented were about as much use as chocolate teapot with regards to the discussion around Unification, and attempting to interpret them to imply support either way is f*cking stupid.

Purely from an aesthetic rather than political perspective.....those are fecking hideous!

They the bottom two are a bit. I think the top one looks well but I’d like blue in a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

So basically in a united ireland you would like to see a green and white union jack?

• Advertisement

I think if we're moving away from a tricolour, moving towards a Union flag inspired design is unlikely to be the compromise we land on.

I'd prefer that we ended up with symbolism that is shared by all, hence my question about the harp on a blue field; I haven't met anyone who would have the same reaction to it as you would to a Tricolour or I would to a Union flag.

But who claimed it had anything to do with wanting a UI?

You projected that onto it yourself and are now trying to convince yourself. Best of luck with that.

I posted it and asked a question about the amount of people in Ireland claiming they feel closest to GB being low.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I agree with your last paragraph. It was another poster who was drawing attention to the low number for British affiliation as some sign of a boost for unification. A very silly notion.

If anything, those findings boost my analysis of a group in the middle, knowing they are Northern Irish, knowing that they are modern and European, and not finding any home in the sectarian nonsense of either of the two main parties.

My original post which makes no mention of the graph being a boost for Unification.

Only 30% feel closest socially, politically and culturally to GB (i.e. the rest of the Union)_

Lighten up. Not at all what I said. I said I would like green and blue as the main colours on a flag. I simply cut and pasted a few blue a green union flags that were on the internet. No I didn’t really like them. Nor do I like anything that harks back to ancient Ireland. Let’s look forward not back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Very informative as usual. Ah this explains the Ryanair symbol.

As Ireland joined the union in 1801 with the official flag St Patrick's Saltire and there was never any new act of union in 1922. Just a part of Ireland that did join the union left. Therefore can we deduce the only official flag for NI is St Patricks Satire?

Some unionists took a case this year through the British courts arguing the protocol suspended the act of union. They were referenceing the act of union 1801 as that is basically how NI is part of the union today and quoting text from the act that there should be free movement of trade between Great Britain and "ireland". The act was never rewritten or symbols for the act changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

As much as I want to make, 'marching powder' jokes, or comment on Bryson's use of, 'flying high', I'd warrant if you tried hard enough you could find a few lads having a sniff at a GAA game too, the stuff is rampant everywhere.

Mildly amusing, but no more reflective of the marching crowd than society at large.

So the default flag for a United ireland is clearly the st Patrick’s cross. Makes you wonder why some think it’s a good idea to use the tricolour at all-island sports and events. I think you are saying it was never the official flag of 32 county ireland?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement