Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't see how you can say that executives are personally liable for any damage that results from their decisions unless you also say that they are personally entitled to any advantages that result from their decisions. This is a silly idea.

I get the anger and frustration that gives rise to the idea. I just don't think this would be a realistic or effective way of addressing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,856 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Instructing somebody to send in false invoices for a service that was not provided and to send them in, and take money as a result is fraud by two parties.

To miss this for years is gross incompetence.

To obstruct the work of the Committee by drip feeding information is to engage in a cover up of what happened.

To allow somebody walk away with a 500,000 euro severance package and to not have done your duty of reviewing/signing off on it is more gross negligence.

Don't care if you are in a trade Union, or you are left right or totally indifferent. That is what has been uncovered by these committee sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Silly is an understatement. Absolutely batsh*t insane is how I'd describe it.

Completely unworkable, even if you could find someone willing to sign a contract with those stipulations....and being willing to sign that contract should immediately be grounds for dismissal given the poor judgement it would demonstrate on the employee's behalf.

I get the, 'lash out' mentality but I reckon this would actually make the problem worse by excluding anyone remotely competent for an executive role.

How about the quaint old idea that works in private business - do your job or sling your hook?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Try firing someone without full due process? Good luck with that.

• Advertisement

FFS, do the 'due process', Nobody is suggesting 'hanging em high'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I agree with you there on the payout, but that is someone who is gone, not the target of a large cohort, and not just the usual Francie outrage, that have been calling for people to be sacked without any due cause or any due process.

The most ludicrous were those who called for the Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee, in effect the whistleblower, to be fired.

Going forward, you won't have any executives of state bodies, because no sensible person would ever take a job on those terms. You would be left with Mick Wallace and Gemma O'Doherty as the only people sane enough to take the jobs.

Doesn't happen like that in private business. All the deals are done quietly, at huge expense, but occasionally one gets out.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-10038761.html

What has happened to innocent until proven guilty?

• Advertisement

Eh, we would have to give the committee more powers to enforce that, however, the Irish people decided in a referendum not to give the committee more powers, so that is a non-runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I just learned in another thread that the electorate rejected it in a referendum.

It is a pity it was rejected.

i honestly look upon the PAC as a toothless tiger.

I think we're pretty much in agreement on the core points, Blanch.

I wouldn't get away with dismissing someone without due process in my own work, the idea of giving the government the power to do so on the basis of social media outrage is a terrifying concept that people should think very carefully about shouting in support of just because they don't like today's target.

When it was revealed that the Audit and Risk Committee (which had failed under it's own terms of reference to spot what was going on) had reccomended that Dee Forbes be asked to resign, thus allowing her to evade accountability it was FG's Brendan Griffin who said that the members of the Executive should be considering their positions.

“When the Grant Thornton (auditors) report was delivered to the (RTÉ board’s) audit and risk committee, the audit and risk committee made recommendations and one of those recommendations was to ask for her resignation,” she said.

Fine Gael TD Brendan Griffin said it was a “monumental error” to ask the director general to resign, and then accept her resignation, as it had deprived the committee of the opportunity to get her to come face questions.

He questioned whether board members should be considering their own positions for allowing Ms Forbes to quit before she had faced parliamentarians.

Of course you will continue trying to claim it is only your political boogeymen and women calling for resignations etc but the facts are the facts here.

The problem here is the 'system' that FG/FF have allowed evolve over their 100 years in power.

Toothless regulation bodies (screaming for years to be given more powers) and oversight Committee's hampered by the same lack of powers.

Of course due process should be followed, but FFS establish a 'process' that can be duly followed when clear and obvious failings, incompetence, fraud etc is uncovered.

How many, involved in just this fiasco, have just slinked off into retirement out of the reach of proper accountability or redress?

Whatever teeth you think they should be given, ministers having the authority to fire employees on the basis of social media complaints should never be one.

Blanch stated that this was your position, I was replying to him and responded accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭rock22

@FrancieBrady wrote it was FG's Brendan Griffin who said that the members of the Executive should be considering their positions.

and you quote BG "He questioned whether board members should be considering their own positions for allowing Ms Forbes to quit before she had faced parliamentarians."

You do understand the difference between the executive and board? And that it was the board, not the executive you want all sacked, who made that decision?

From the get-go, you called for the Minister to sack the Executive and sack the Board. You were unaware that the Minister didn't have the power. You have repeatedly claimed that the Executive should all be fired, which is equivalent to a mob hanging someone without a trial.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The advantage of the PAC and the like is the absolute privilege granted to the participants. They cannot be sued for defamation and so have no reason not to tell the truth for fear of any legal action.

That of course does not stop them telling porkies. However, why anyone needs legal assistance in these circumstances to tell the truth is beyond my comprehension.

Of course, there is my truth. your truth, and 'the actual truth'.

Everyone should be entitled to their own facts.

Is Brendan Griffin on here? I would be very surprised, as my discussions have been with posters, not politicians.

Board members are not subject to the Unfair Dismissals Act, as they are not employees, and it is within the power of the Minister to fire them. They are directors of the company, equivalent to company owners in the private sector, so no political stance issue with any left-winger calling for them to resign (would question the reasons but it would be normal for a left-wing politician to call for the owners of a company to stand down, protecting the employees).

You have been calling for the members of the Executive to be fired by the Minister, who are employees, who have the protection of the Unfair Dismissals Act, and who cannot be fired by the Minister.

Now it is bizarre that you are implicitly criticising a politician who called for the directors to resign while you pursue a vendetta against the employees.

I don't think he does understand the difference. When the mob get going, all reason is lost.

So you fell for the deflection. blanch does this routinely when there is any criticism of government/state bodies. Projects what he thinks is being said in order to deflect the criticism away.

The point was it isn't only a certain political ideology asking for resignations as yourself and blanch are trying to deflect to.

I think they both Boards should be gone on foot of the evidence we have heard to date.

How much 'due process' do you guys want? This all should never have even come before committee.

You have an Executive Board and another Board to oversee that Board, an Audit and Risk committee with all the powers of discovery you can give in their ToR, and instead of sorting this all out internally like any business would, it has now wasted 3 weeks of taxpayers money trying to get past the obsfuscation, covering up/blaming each other/individiuals engaged in by both these boards and we STILL don't know what went on.

It's appalling that anyone would stand over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭rock22

@FrancieBrady "The point was it isn't only a certain political ideology asking for resignations as yourself and blanch are trying to deflect to."

Sorry, I misunderstood your point. I agree that Labour and Sinn Fein are not the only ones, just that maybe I expected more from them. Many have strong links to Trade Unions, individually or collectively, and they would call out any employer falling short in terms of fair procedure.

I would not be surprised, when this is all over, that the minister appoints some new board members. But hiring or firing executives is a matter for the board. And the board need real evidence of incompetence before they can go down that route. Other than those who have already departed, i don't see any evidence of 'sleeping on the job' to use your words, or serious deficiencies. If you have a greedy contractor and a willing CEO/DG then people will finds ways around almost any check. I assume that the reason the barter account was used was precisely because if the payment went through the normal accounts it would have be queried. You can't blame the people who were deceived . Or at least you must recognise that their failure was an order of magnitude less than those who perpetrated the deception. On the evidence so far that is the DG, Dee Forbes, and N Kelly/R Tubridy. By all means strengthen financial procedure within the organisation and reform the management structure if appropriate. ( And I would question the idea of changing DG every five years and expected the executives to form a close knit team in that time). But keep the focus where it should be , those who were party to that tripartite deal. Everything else is just distraction right now.

Do you really not understand the difference between asking for the owners and directors of a company to stand down, versus calling for employees to be fired at will? Like seriously?

And why one of these would be completely normal for a left-wing politician and the other would be outside the Pale?

Really, this has been explained to you several times and you keep making the same basic misunderstanding.

As for the rant about the Audit and Risk Committee, several posters, more knowledgeable than I am, have already patiently explained to you how wrong you are about their role in this.

I dispute that I am wrong.

The 'Audit and Risk' committee didn't properly audit and didn't spot the risks to RTE's reputation.

Discuss.

Never mind projecting stuff I never said about 'social media' etc. I accepted IMMEDIATELY your correction on who could sack.

Can you discuss the actual issues here and stop trying to deflect attention away from them, please.

@FrancieBrady

This post (and it wasn't the only post or the only poster) completely demolished your argument that the Audit and Risk Committee were at fault. In fact, they did exactly the job they were tasked to do.

These events happened in 2021 and 2022 which meant they come before the A&R Committee in 2023, which is when they found out and when they acted. They did so quickly once the information was brought to them. No attempt to hide, just investigate the facts and inform the Board. What looks like a good job from outside.

Do you really think that the A&R Committee are in RTE every week pouring over invoices and checking payments? Do you have any understanding of corporate governance?

They 'eventually' did the job they were tasked to do.

Their 'job' is outlined here:

audit-committee-terms-of-reference.pdf (rte.ie)

We wouldn't be where we are (which isn't just about 21/22 as we know) had they been doing their jobs.

• Advertisement

And please point out to me which part of their job they missed during their four meetings a year?

Advertisement