Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Overcooked I think is a better description. I think he has trained Tipp this year and Waterford last year into the ground.

Both teams looked brilliant earlier in the year and then ran out of puff. He hasn't got it right with this championship format and was a puck of a ball from going out in the group in Munster. Both years he went well with Waterford in Covid was an old structure.

I also think his in game management is poor. Some decisions he made last year for us like putting Tom Barron full back on Aaron Gillane or Pauric Mahony midfield against Clare were mad. You might as well lock him into the boot of the car the day of a game

• Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Camoige team top their group with a 5-16 to 0-10 win over Antrim today. Draw to see if they get a bye to semi final or have to play a final later on today

Waterford Galway into camoige semi finals. QFs KK v cork, tipp v Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Can anyone explain the logic of the scheduling of the first round of the club championship? There are twelve teams in it but another side effect of the ludicrous format is that only 4 matches take place on a given weekend. In round 1 there are two games on the Friday in different venues at the same time. On the Saturday there are two games in Fraher Field, but not a double header as instead one is on early afternoon and the other in the evening. Am I missing something or do the county board not want spectators?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

It's no coincidence that Waterford camogie has stepped up a notch, with Sean Power in charge.

I still don't know if he was ever considered for the mens senior hurling manager, given his unprecedented under age success. Was he just 'not in' with the right crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

We'll never know if he is not given an opportunity!

Waterford must be the only county where a manager wins 2 of the counties 7 All Ireland titles. (Minor, u21 and senior)

He applied for the position the year Pauric Fanning was appointed, would be have been any worse?

Would he have been any worse this year?

Liam Cahills credibility was based on his u20 success but yet Power may be deemed not good enough.

I'd love to hear the rational behind that?

This talk of no senior experience is a load of bull too.

Power should have been given an opportunity with that panel due to the success at minor and u201, the ship might have sailed now but I honestly don't see what we had to lose in giving him a shot.

Since the u21 win in 2016, we have won one league title at senior level?

How worse could power have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Hard to listen to Davy on radio criticising Galway for not having more than 2 men forward and playing 13 in their own half

Waterford v Tipp in camoige semi final. Right chance of an AI appearance there

• Advertisement

Let's hope we give it a good rattle

Sean Power showing how good a manager he is once again

Even worse hearing him speak of a 2-3 year plan at the start of the season and here we see Lyng with Kilkenny winning a Leinster and in an All Ireland Final in his first year.

Yes you can make the argument that Leinster is not as competitive as Munster, but Waterford were a lot further down the line with where both teams are at, at least should be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Hard to listen to Marty too, with his well worn cliches. Also, like most commentators, we don't need to know a player's scoring stats every time a score happens.

Is Duignan on a bonus for using the word 'unbelievable'.

Was in Croke Park today. Even though Limerick are raging favourites for the final, Kilkenny will give them a right rattle ; remember, they only lost by 2 points last year. As mentioned above, contrast Derek Lyng's impact against Davy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hard to believe this hurling championship is still going on, it feels like a very very long time since we had any involvement. Even though the last puck of a ball in anger was 28-May v Tipp, you'd realistically have to go back to 30-April v Cork for the last time it felt we had any actual involvement (the Clare game on 13-May felt like an inevitable formality IMO which is how it turned out to be). The sooner it's over the better as it will bring the curtain down on a rotten championship. Two teams in the final you'd wish none of them would win!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Think will watch the cricket no interest of any of those teams winning like last year . It just sums up the whole season depressing having same line up .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I think you’re forgetting Waterford were also in the AI semi final last year & could well have made the AI final. I don’t see too many wondering why Derek Lyons didn’t get a look in with our senior hurlers on the back of it. This year we’ve gotten a bye into the semi, last year we had to win a 1/4 to get there.

I’m not saying Sean isn’t a good manager, but he hasn’t transformed this team from no hopers to challengers either.

I don't think people would want Sean Power on the basis of season 1 in the Camogie, as you said they reached an AI semi last year.

I would presume it's more on the basis of delivering 2 or Waterfords 7 All Ireland titles with a group of players who have been available for the past number of years.

As I previously said, only in Waterford would we not have a Waterford man in charge for what looks like 6-7 years (if Davy remains for his "2-3 year plan"), after a Waterford man won, the minor and u21 all Ireland, a Waterford man won a club all Ireland final.

Granted Power or O'Sullivan might not want the job, but if there was any chance of given either a run then they should have got the chance.

Cahill was appointed on his u20 success and we would only ever retain him for 2-3 years as he always wanted to manage his home provence.

We could have put a Waterford man (Power or O'Sullivan) in there and see how things faired out, as I also said the worst that could have happened is, we wouldn't have won a league title.

Granted I am delighted we won a league as I believe a county with little success like us should always aim to win a league and winning breads winning.

It's no secret Power applied for the job with Pauric Fanning was appointed, a head scratching appointment, a bit like Davy now.

John Kiely and Liam Sheedy came from underage management and look at the huge success they've had

Yes and that is why this argument of "no senior experience" is bull.

If Power had have been given a chance and it went tits up he would be gone after 12-24 months, so what would we have lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭razorronan

I had a smaller glimmer of hope we would get rid of him. To not play for 1 minute out of 70 can lose you a match, nevermind 2 whole halves. A really poor league showing before that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I'd love to be in a job where I can make a total balls of it and not get the sack. At least I'll save a few quid by not travelling to county games next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I get where you’re coming from.

In fairness I think the win against Tipp saved him, there was enough hope taken from that win and performance to at least merit him another year. There is no plan B unfortunately, no up and coming young coach within the county waiting in the wings and no underage success to build on, so after the Tipp win there was never any doubt that he was coming back for another year.

it’s hard to know where we stand and where we’re going though. It’s 10 years since we won the All Ireland minor with that fabulous team with the likes of Bennett and Austin Gleeson, crazy how fast time has flown by. a win that we so desperately craved yet it feels like we’re now right back to where we were before it

I think we need a good league performance, you could tell from this year's league we weren't up to it, the argument can be made it's only the league, but no plan or style of play seemed to be forming bar running into players with the ball.

We will be back in Walsh Park so it's vital we have really good strong home league games and try to carry that form into the Munster championship.

Unfortunately we are not a successfully county so I don't think we can have the attitude "it's only the league" and then just turn it on for the championship.

The age profile of our squad is also a worry given the age that some players are retiring now (late 20s, early 30s)

Will Davy want to prove a point and we go for the league ??. Talks of the championship schedule getting spread out a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah that's the depressing thing about being a Waterford fan lately, it's not just the awful year we've had (again), it's the fact that looking around it's hard to see what's going to really change or improve our situation in the next few years.

It's pretty much guaranteed that golden generation from 2013-16 unfortunately isn't going to win us an AI and apart from a few good prospects coming through (i.e. the 3 Fitzgerald's) it's hard to see us even getting out of Munster, let alone going all the way.

Having home advantage next year may help and you'd hope Davy might have learned something from a years experience with the team but I mentioned here a while back that next years championship is going to be rotten having Limerick and Clare away. Hard to see anything other than two losses there. Would expect Cork and Tipp to improve from good showings this year so it feels like we're already really up against it.

Hate to be so negative about it but it's a bleak time and feels like we're going nowhere. It's also hard seeing nearly every other team having their name up in lights at different stages over the championship, they nearly all have had at least one or two big days where they put in great performances and got big results.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

It's a big call from the county board as it seems it's not the decision the supporters want. Whether that plays into attendances being affected will be interesting.

I'd have to disagree with any suggestion that Waterford should target the league, we saw how that worked out last year. No team is able to go through the year sustaining their best performances, all need to taper. And we have a big reliance on some key players so flogging them in the league won't help getting out of Munster. Sadly I could see Davy doing just that in order to try to get supporters on side again.

Finally there was mention of Walsh Park for next year. Has this been confirmed? This year was only phase one so I assume it will be closed again for phase two whenever that takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Not at all surprised at Davys' re-appointment - our County Board were never ever going to admit to having made a massive blunder by bringing him back in the first place - they have never been particularly brave in their decision making - Liam Cahill's appointment given his success with Tipp underage and that he was already in line to replace Sheedy made him a safe bet - and Davy's reputation for "getting a kick out" of players in the early years was another "safe bet" in their eyes. This obsession with winning a Senior All- Ireland from those Minor and Under 21 Winning teams has surely got to be put to bed at this stage and we need to start looking and planning for the long-term future of hurling in Waterford, which I believe with the panel we have, includes being in a position to challenge for the All Ireland over the coming years.

Kilkenny have shown that by proper application and structure, you can be competitive - I still believe Limerick are favorites to win it this year, but i think when the Final Whistle blows KK will still be in the game banging on the door. You haven't heard Derek Lyng talking about 3 year plans or making massive changes to players or style - he has just gone about his job in a quite efficient manner and fair play to him and it is not as if he has had bundles of unerage All Ireland wining teams over the last 10 years to pick from.

We need a manager who will to some degree unite the majority of players and supporters across the county - not divisive characters such as Davy who's primary aim is to promote their own profile and move along - do people honestly believe Davy is worried about where Waterford will be in three or four years time - not unless it promote him personally.

The result against Tipp seems to have saved his bacon - when for me it should have been the nail in his coffin - the team showed that day when they were set up properly and allowed to play they could compete with the best and that performance only served to highlight what a complete mess he had made of the games against Cork and Clare - but this is where we are unfortunately - has Davy learned from last year - doubt it very much as he has not really changed or learned over the last 15 years so why should he now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

A good league performance is important. Can't go into championship out of form. Just have to look at Kilkenny and Limerick. Both were in the league final

Advertisement