Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Lynch agreed that it was plausible that tubridy and kelly believed the money was from Renault. I think that exchange between Lynch and Dillon could very well result in a massive payout for Tubsity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I have a funny feeling that the Director Of HR is on the way out, she would have seen that BO'K had left on a staff left under a voluntary restructuring programme. And they would have all know because she'd have told them.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/joint_committee_on_tourism_culture_arts_sport_and_media/2023-07-05/2/#spk_967

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Was there not evidence presented that NK knew Renault had pulled out of the deal after year 1?

It was hard to track who said what in those hearings, as there were so many contradictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

There was a rather Stalinist attitude to anyone who did not agree with the SF/Workers Party (Ned Stapleton cumman) view of events in NI. McAleese comment about it previously. That a broadcaster could be politically in this manner was a disgrace to RTE's reputation as a public service broadcaster. They were troubled times but a lot of decent RTE journalists tried to do a good job reporting the news in an unbiased manner. The GFA in 1998 was almost a second collapse of the Soviet Union to these SF/WP people. In some respects, with its nepotism and nomenklatura, it has much in common with the old Soviet Union.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenklatura

The question now is not can RTE be saved but rather should it continue to exist in its present format. The public seems to be against Tubridy being allowed to continue his radio show on RTE. The risk is that the advertising will flee RTE. And it may affect other presenters and programmes. Tubridy and the overpaid "talent" are very much a symptom of a dysfunctional RTE that is no longer fit for purpose.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

If RTE was a YouTube channel it would reach a much wider audience. Would people think it was satire? Probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Throughout all of this, there's been very little mention of what the public want, including from Bakhurst. He was going to talk to people in RTE, colleagues, etc, but I'm not sure he mentioned what the public want. RTE is just a big bubble who don't really care what the licence payers or public want. RTE have always felt they know better than the general public.

Which position?

He originally came in as Controller of RTÉ1 as part of the TV department under Glen Killane, he took the position from George Dixon, who didn't last very long and moved back to the UK for a role at BBC Studios. I assume that Adrian was the second choice for the role at the time.

Controller of RTÉ2 Bill Malone left RTÉ to go to TV3 and it was decided that Adrian would take up that role of Controller of RTÉ ONE and 2.

Then almost all of the Executive board left when Dee Forbes came in, Kevin Bakhurst, Glen Killane, later Wille O'Reilly it was very strange that so many would leave. Glen Killane became head of Sport with Eir, and then move to the EBU as head of Sport, talk about jobs for the boys as Noel Curran is the DG there now.

So Dee (In her wisdom) appointed Adrian as Director of Audience, Channels and Marketing, replacing the old role of Director of TV.

______

Yesterday

Possibly but a lot of the viewers who watch RTE would not be Youtube users and that's the problem for RTE. They are appealing to older demographics and younger demographics are switching to alternatives like Netflix, Prime and even Youtube. The interesting thing about Youtube is that it requires the user to select and watch. It is not just on in the background like so much of RTE's programming. There's also an advertising loop that is not present with RTE. It is possible for an advertiser on Youtube to know if an advert was clicked and if it converted to sale. That loop isn't present with RTE and it is something that has changed advertising in the print newspaper business. Would Tubridy get the same number of viewers on Youtube? No.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

It's not dumb though....when you see stuff like that happening there's always a beneficiary

It's like a lot of the shader stuff that goes on....if you take an overall view it makes very little sense....if you zoom in you see the money being lost (and 99% of the time its about the money) flowing into someone(s) pocket....if it loses the organisation/state etc money in the process then that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Anywhere you see waste etc you can bet someone is making out like a bandit.

I know it's stating the bleeding obvious but I often think the fact it appears stupid let's the beneficiaries off the hook way to easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

It's just cosplay...some people never grow out of wanting the image of their heroes....a lot of the time without emulating the substance....

Deep down, it's insecurity ..... to use a phrase that makes me a bit vomity...its a sign of what a budget psychotherapist would label a not fully self actualized person 🤠

It is a photo that does make one feel a bit retchy though in fairness

• Advertisement

only RTE and that older audience would have Tubsidy

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just on this and a very good point btw, and something that I don't think anyone has raised before - RTE Commercial "sell" sponsorships with emphasis on repeats.

Sponsored shows contain the same "stings" (basically the short promo piece you get before the start and end of every ad break and the show itself) on repeats, through the ads themselves will differ.

Example: Let's say "Ireland's Fittest Family" is sponsored by Weetabix (for example purposes only). Weetabix will have some sort of short promotional message (a sting) that'll say something like "Ireland's Fittest Family, powered by Weetabix" with accompanying graphics, stock footage, or maybe a staged real-life/contrived situation, like say a man having his Weetabix and then heading out for a jog etc. There can be as many different stings as the budget of the sponsor allows (these aren't cheap to make if you include real people btw, hence why you'll see many of this as just animation or graphics).

So let's say IFF goes out on Sunday but is repeated on Tuesday night at 11pm. The ad slots (breaks) on Sunday night prime time will be considerably more expensive than Tuesday night at 11pm. So the ads will rotate, but the stings stay.

When RTE show you the "value" of a proposed sponsorship, they will actually include the "value" of the repeats in same. Now you could argue this is fair, but it's very disingenuous and almost always ignored by the media agency and the proposed sponsor when calculating value.

Perhaps but Bakhurst's problem is that there are two RTEs: the workers and the "talent". There has been quite a split between the two since the story broke. The unseen aspect of this is not the public but rather what the politicians will do to save their seats. RTE needs a bailout and faced with bailing out the present management or saving their seats in the next election, politicians will probably opt to save their seats. RTE has always operated in a bubble and it has skewed the Dublin media market to such an extent that other broadcasters are not really competing with each other as much with a licence fee funded competitor.

Regards...jmcc

True for a lot. But the revelations about Tubridy's salary may have an effect on people on the OAP who believed all his wibbling about everyone being in it together with Covid while people were taking pay cuts.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Neferteena

This is the ctux of the contact stall. RT can't demand the equivalent amount of money for radio, as the LLS advertising he allegedly generates forms a huge part of his previous negotiation for the big bucks. NK repeated that indirectly in so many ways on Tuesday.

Now, with Ryan on a 5x53 minute (mid listening audience rating) radio show that same negotiating base isn't there. I would say that NK may have limited negotiating grounds based on this, & then started to add alternative TV projects for Ryan, that was not TLLS, but something bigger & better, like the Late LateLive Show that was rejected.

I'd say RT stalled contract negotiations because he refused RTE's reduced offer, as Patrick K is now the new poster, who takes that crown.

He deluded himself that his radio worth, is commercially viable to RTE.

On another note, I'm really hacked off that EVERYONE in the Oireachtas missed capitalising that the Risk & Audit Committee mentioned Day 1 that they were looking into more concerns about 'consultant invoices' via GT, & did not get an interim update b4 the meeting with NK & RT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Breda O'Keefe was extremely organised and convincing when she was before PAC. She needs to be hauled back in over that golden handshake. Dee Forbes and Geraldine O Leary need to be hauled in as well to answer questions.

There is a lot more to be uncovered here I think with board shenanigans.

To me Tubridy/Noel Kelly is the secondary issue at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have being following this along, the one thing that sticks out all the time is TALENT and all the talk about it in Rte, if Sky open a Transfer show for this the talent with a window of 6 weeks to buy this great amount of talent up for sale, of course RT and misery Joe, and the bog Ray and don’t forget the 2 fm super jocks and Photo shoot Lottie, and Paul fair city would be all transferred within the first day for big bucks,

Ray home to Kildare fm for 200 a week, Marty to Croke park museum, Paul to east Enders new gangster, Joe to blaskit fm to take over from Peig, Lottie To dealz ambassador, RT and Kelly to American red neck tv, What talent have Rte really got only money grabbing family ties from the tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

Renault realised they didn't need to be paying RTE big money anymore for sponsorship during the lockdowns, because of the shortage of cars anyway resulting from supply chain issues caused by lockdowns advertising was no longer needed.

Nearly like the good old communist days where you put your name down for a car a decade beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sure, follow the money.

But I had posted regarding the question of whether or not it was intentional tax avoidance. As in, did they do it to avoid paying VAT, or did they do it for other reasons and not paying VAT was just a side effect or consequence of that.

I don't know if intention even matters with regards to VAT laws, but if somebody is charged with intentional tax avoidance it would be plausible to say, "It cost us more than the VAT to do it this way, which demonstrates that we did it for other reasons".

• Advertisement

She wasn't really. She gave an air that she was in charge and knew what she was doing, she had very good script prepared for them at that but it slip three times for me (I did not catch the 3rd one and is in hindsight)

1. Blubbering about how RTÉ was important to her, clearly not when she had her hands on the till
    2. Then saying she (nor her successor) could possibly know all the expenditure etc on such a vast company... but she knew fine well RTÉ were generously giving Executives a Car, expenses, moving fees and good wages.
    3. and final that she left under a voluntary restructuring programme

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Does O'Leary get away scot free now?

I 100% knew she was telling lies and hiding the truth. It was plain to see. The mental health card was completely false. Her role would make her a lot tougher than that. She is retiring now so I guess she is laughing at us all. She didn't even bother telling the PAC that she wasn't attending.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

For sure Lottie Ryan is where she is because of her father. Nepotism is totally wrong, but I don't understand attacking her personally - and making her out to be all sorts of things when you don't know her from Adam. Blame RTE for practising nepotism - don't blame her for what she was born into, which, privileged or not, is an accident of birth. And don't blame her for taking an opportunity that anyone would, when it's so difficult to get into broadcasting.

The attacks on her are grim and unnecessary. The people who keep saying this place is full of angry men are annoying, but they're given ammunition.

Same with weather and sport. RTÉ ONE still has weather reports during the morning because of sponsors, while 2FM has sports on during the night in case they get sponsorship. But neither have their normal news bulletins any more.

______

Yesterday

I really loved tubs speech on how much he abhors the word talent and then how the receptionist is the real talent

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Yeah, very disappointing from PK. I'm an avid listener to his show because he's informed, well prepared and never seems to have an agenda beyond getting to the crux of whatever topic. But he is very obviously in Tub's corner here.

I suppose there is another way you could look at it. Pat is notoriously litigious himself and I'm sure were he in Tubridy's shoes he'd be nailing RTE to the wall over failure to honour contracts, reputational damage and whatever else. So he's probably more speaking from his own perspective than purely batting for an old RTE buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Did he say that? Vomit inducing.

How can his fans not see thru his fakeness.

I haven't watched the toy show in years but I always thought his treatment of the children was terrible. He has no patience and used the children to get a laugh. It was very distasteful.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What need you, being come to sense,

But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And prayer to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone;

Romantic RTE is dead and gone. It's with O'Leary in the grave...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

With thanks to The Phoenix magazine 😊

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement