Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Be realistic? I'm a football fan, don't be silly 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I did have a weird hope that last season was just a blip for Fab and becoming a new father etc contributed to his lack of form...

He seemed to be doing alright towards the crunch end of last season, looked the the old Fab we always knew, but from Aug - Feb he was fairly shite whenever he did play...

Was too late though at that stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm ok with Fab going for 40m, I'm not ok with losing Henderson at all. He deserves the right to chose he's earned that, owes us nothing but I really saw him in the milner role for another couple seasons playing an important part. He's declined of course but he's the captain and leader of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The two signings made aren't exactly youth either,the Hungarian captain which indicates maturity and a world cup winner ,ages 22 and 24 , coming into their prime,fit and ready to play, Jones seems to be improving always, bajetic was impressive last year, couple of good signings happy days and better set up for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fab going is totally grand, as long as we get the right experienced replacement. If Amrabat came in for, say, 10m more than we get for Fab, I’d be delighted.

Would be a bit more worried if the replacement was Lavia though - great option if we had another older head too, but it’s a lot to expect from him if he comes in as the senior man at DM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No point going for Lavia when the only experienced midfielders in Klopps system are Elliot, Jones and Thiago. Would need a serious experienced head to come in at the base of midfield.

There were also links of Thiago to Barca earlier today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

But surely,Allison,VVD,TRENT,Robertson,Salah,Thiago bring you experience. Even though MacAllister is a new signing he is a world cup winner and premiership proven

And losing Ox and Naby has the same effect as losing Melo because they contributed sweet fook all last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We've also lost Bobby. That's a lot of experience going in one summer.

And where did experience get us last year? Bobby spent most of the season injured. All the players that have left/are leaving this summer should of been already removed from the squad. The problem now it seems is people are unhappy that so many are leaving the one summer.

Is anyone at all a little excited about what a new and refreshed squad has the potential to do?

And I see Klopp has nicknamed Alexis MacAllister "Gary" 🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Gakpo was linked with that lot once upon a time too. It means nothing until they sign on the dotted line somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Stop saying Hendo can be our next Milner.. I don't want to be reading for the next 2 years that Hendos legs are gone or "why's Hendo starting"... Milner and Hendo done all they could have and more for Liverpool "in their prime".. No harm bowing out on good terms "700k a week terms".. Most the best top players like to leave on top

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

I would have said that Thiago, often playing an unnatural position still contributed more than Hendo last season, but the gulf here even surprised me..

Taa is like a new signing in midfield, he should be made captain if Henderson is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

That's not a fair comparison tho. 700k a week to most of us is somewhere around 1000x our salaries so it's easy to say we would say yes but for Hendo it's only 4.7x his current salary. Put it that way and you can be sure plenty of us would say no to going there for 4.7x our current salaries.

I wouldn't put that pressure on him yet... he's a quiet guy, and doesn't seem to have that sort of communication and command just yet. I think it would hurt him more than help him at this stage. Being a club captain is being the senior figure for all the other players to bring their problems to, it's setting and collecting the fines for bad behaviour, and giving lads a bollocking when they're causing problems, it's communicating with Alder Hey about hospital visits, and cajoling the other players into doing this sort of stuff, it's spending time with all the young fellas in the academy, and newly signed players, and making everyone feel welcome. And it also creates just a little distance from the other players, since you're now the figure of authority amongst them. Coming after a captain as incredible as Henderson was for all of this stuff will be especially tough, as the expectation is huge.

If Hendo leaves, I think the likes of VVD, Alisson, Mo, or even Robbo would be more natural fits for the practical requirements of a good captain. Trent is already part of the 'leadership group', which is perfect for him for now. Would have him in mind for the next switch over down the line maybe.

It's also since been reported that the wage offer is 350k, not 700k. Still a significant raise - but at the cost of prematurely ending his top level club career (and likely international career), directly going against his support of the gay community, and having to go live in a less-than-appealing place that fundamentally considers his wife and two young daughters to be second class citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

What if whatever team signed Firmino were to sign Salah and Mane (and coutinho just for the lols I guess, all doable) and get the gang back together. I'd almost tune in to see that. 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Henderson's morals are his own concern. If Liverpool can get £50m for Henderson and Fabinho, it looks like good business to me.

There's still plenty of experience in the team. The back 5 plus Thiago and Salah have been around the block. Mac Allister is a World Cup winner and Szoboszlai captains his country at 22. How much more experience do they need in the squad?

Get in a pair of young midfielders and it will be a really interesting season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Exactly, Henderson is nothing like Milner. He has none of his versatility.

He fits in one position these days in this team, and in that role his output is already nowhere near good enough.

experience of just having played football before is not the same as experience of knowing what this specific manager wants in this specific team. I’d be ok with Fab leaving at 40m, but if Hendo goes too it means our whole midfield will be at square one all together at the same time.

We already know Klopp likes to bed most players in slowly - especially midfielders and defenders - so they can adapt and slot into the system when they’re ready. This much change might well see us basically not able to do what he wants the team doing for the first half of the season. Losing that bit of stability in Hendo - not to mention his captaincy - for such an embarrassingly pointlessly paltry fee would be a disaster.

That's my concern, i.e., most of the midfield leaving in the same summer.. You're putting a lot of hope in all the new signings hitting the ground running. Not impossible but unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

I think our decisions on whether to let Henderson and Fabinho go this summer will be determined by financial considerations but also I think the American Football term of where you are in your Championship window. In the last few years we have been in a win-now mode, we've had the squad necessary to compete for the big prizes, it justified keeping Milner on year long deals for example. Since our collapse last season, do we think with the new signings we can compete with City for the league with the current squad? If so, we should keep both. If not, if we think we are still in a rebuild phase this season, then we should take the money, reinvest in someone younger (not too young like Lavia imo) and be in a position to compete for the league in 24/25 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Fab definitely improved towards the end of the season but I cant believe he is going to be a different player this season. When the legs go, they rarely come back. If we can get £40m for him it is an unbelievable price.

However it is only good business if the money is spent on a ready made replacement, not potential. Replacing him with Lavia for €50m might make economical sense given Lavia's potential but I dont think it is an upgrade on the here and now. We will need someone with more top flight experience.

For those saying that TAA is a replacement are missing the fact that whatever role TAA may play in midfield it will definitely not be as a defensive midfielder. Now that would be a disaster waiting to happen. He will never play in a three man midfield, he will only ever be an auxiliary midfielder stepping in to make a four man midfield. It will be vital for him that he has a strong, fit, disciplined DM to cover for him.

Thiago is willing as can be seen by the stats in the above post. Definitely a place for him in the team/squad but he needs athleticism around him. Fabinho doesnt give that any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think the pace is accelerating alright. Utd soon to be bought, and next two transfer windows the Saudis will be targeting younger / higher profile players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's weird as I think that selling Fabinho for £40m is a better idea than selling Hendo for £10m, as at the same time I think that Fabinho can contribute more to Liverpool in 2023/2024 than Hendo can.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

In my opinion I think they contribute about the same and their ability is diminishing. I think Henderson will offer more in the dressing room that is why I would probably prefer to see Fab leave, plus the extra funds (40m v 10m) should in theory lead to a better replacement.

On the other side I think Henderson probably already has been replaced in the first 11 by Alexis or Szobo whereas Fab hasnt been replaced yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

The bidding for the 2030 world cup starts next year and Saudi want it. They are pushing now to be accepted as a real footballing country by buying as much high profile names as possible.

• Cristiano Ronaldo – Al Nassr (confirmed)
    • Marcelo Brozovic - Al Nassr (confirmed)
    • Karim Benzema – Al Ittihad (confirmed)
    • N’Golo Kanté – Al Ittihad (confirmed)
    • Jota - Al Ittihad (confirmed)
    • Rúben Neves - Al Hilal (confirmed)
    • Kalidou Koulibaly - Al Hilal (confirmed)
    • Roberto Firmino - Al Ahli (confirmed)
    • Edouard Mendy - Al Ahli (confirmed)
    • Sergej Milinkovic-Savic - Al Hilal (confirmed)

Gerrard, Bilic and Nuno Santo to name a few are there as managers.

Linked:

• Fabinho
    • Henderson
    • Paul Pogba
    • Bernardo Silva
    • Sergio Ramos
    • Aleksandar Mitrović
    • Alexis Sánchez
    • Wilfried Zaha
    • Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

If United are bought by Saudi Arabia then I see United having winter training camps there and next summer's pre-season there. They are trying to normalise themselves to the world.

They have taken over golf.

They are taking over boxing.

They now have a Grand Prix.

They intend to break in to tennis.

As you said previously, the sports world will look a lot different within the next 50 years.

Maybe we might end up back with Liverpool comprising of only Irish, English, Welsh and Scottish players!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Is the issue Thiago or the system? In training Klopp pushes players to their physical limits and players that are carrying niggling injuries break down. That has happened throughout his time at Liverpool and also at Dortmund especially the midfield players. Gundogan had repeated niggling injuries under Klopp at Dortmund. Nuri Sahin twice ruptured ligaments during Klopp's training sessions and on one occasion he was told to just walk it off. The players are not machines that can be stripped down and put back together overnight.

The clusters of hamstring injuries that occurred at the beginning of last season and again at the resumption after the World Cup could have be prevented if the training intensity was dialed back a notch or two.

Harvey Blair is the latest victim of the training program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Can't remember who was saying it, one of the football journalists that writes about the middle east a bit, but in terms of FIFA moving the world cup around then Saudi 2030 is too soon after Qatar 2022. He said the Saudis know this and are more likely to bid for 2034.

The current move is just sports washing. Saudi want more global respect. look at the recent Israel talks. It's more than just a world cup. They been collecting money for decades now and feel it's time to use it.

I think the Premier League is going to look different soon. Might get Super League chat back again.

Leandro Paredes (29) is one of the players that PSG is keen to move on this summer, he has a year left on his contract so he would be unlikely to command a crazy fee. He would suit the destroyer role perfectly and was considered as a transfer option in the past.

Sky sports uturn would be "interesting" if the last paragraph happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Saudi getting it would go against what FIFA have said about rotating the World Cup around spreading out confederations getting it and another winter World Cup will not go down well I would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think Infantino is worse than Platter and Saudi can make it very appealing to him to make it happen but agree with atilladehun it more than likely could be 2034 but still called out next year to have it locked in.

• Advertisement

An improved offer of €40M has allegedly been made for Perr Schuurs.

Pearce seems to be saying Henderson wants to go but we plan on playing hardball...

Incidentally, I know this happens all the time, but if he's agreed terms isn't that tapping up? Whatever happened to that rule?

Good to see.

These despots have endless cash. Let them pony up

It only applies in Blackpool.

Incidentally, they also have another form of tapping up there where you have to pay 10 pounds at the airport if you want to leave. I gave them a 20 and told them to keep the change if it gets me out faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think the club have to be notified but you can negotiate personal terms before submitting an official bid. It makes sense really to make sure the player is on board before negotiating a transfer fee.

Regarding that, the club should go full Daniel Levy and look for £50 million at least. I suspect the low bid was floated under the assumption that Liverpool would be happy enough to get a 33 year olds wages off the books - but he’s the club captain and has 2 years left, he’s worth a lot to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Same deal at Knock Airport. I can already picture Klopp wining and dining Lavia at a chipper in Charlestown.

Yeah, I thought the parent club had to give permission to approach the player

And look, I'm not naive, I know we do it, I know everyone does it. It's just odd how blatant it's become, doesn't seem like that long ago that we got a bit of a slap on the wrists from Saints for talking to Virgil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

No permission needed. VVD was different as that is subject to an EPL/English rule. Rest of the world doesn't particularly care what rules the English want to come up with for internal transfers.

Yeah, looked it up afterwards, hadn't realised that

Fifa rules state only that a club must inform another of its intention to speak to their player. The Premier League goes a significant step further by maintaining that written consent must be obtained.

Obviously they're all meaningless though 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gini, Mane, Minamino ,Milner, Ox, Keita, Henderson, Firmino, Thiago, Carvalho all gone. Who exactly are we playing in midfield next season, Melo? We'll be fighting relegation next season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

@Electric Nitwit That’s a brilliant Gif. I genuinely laughed out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

What has happened to Toby? He used to Mr positive....I mean when we were aimlessly passing the ball around and losing to relegation fodder last season, he was trying to tell us all that we would still win the league!

• Advertisement
Advertisement