Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I agree, every fight is comparable at every weight, the potential to be KO'd is there no matter what weight class.

The Mcgregor fight was sort of a first of its kind, with that single glimmer of "can he do it" but it thought us(me anyway) there is a huge gulf in skill to transpire from MMA to a Seasoned P4P champ.

So for this one, I can safely say if fury takes this a bit serious, , Francis won't lay a glove on him.

I don't even see it doing well numbers wise, Francis is not a mega star outside of MMA ( compared to the magnitude May/Mac was, these lads were miles above both Fury/Ngannou) the majority of casuals who you want to buy it probably said "who?" when it was announced

Francis is also too nice, so you won't get a spikey press conference or sound bite to peak their interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya as I said already it'll bomb numbers wise, Ngannou isn't known outside of MMA like McGregor was.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mayweather far better on defense than Fury, and Francis a far heavier hitter than Conor, even if Fury is big. And Mayweather had quite a solid chin anyway.

No issue saying Fury hammers him. But there is absolutely a risk when you factor in Francis’s size and power.

It’s one punch clean and hard that could KO any man.

and I agree that boxing striking is different to MMA striking, but Francis won’t be preparing for an MMA fight here. He will be preparing to throw punches in a boxing match. And it's not like he is some randomer' off the street. He is a combat athlete that became the best at HW in MMA. He has the fundamentals, as well as all the intangibles needed, like courage and belief and confidence etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

Francis might have power but he swings like a windmill. He won't land a single decent punch on fury. Hell get tired after 4 or 5 rounds and fury will dance rings around him and jab the face off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

You sound about 10 years old Walsh

Francis has absolutely zero chance of a KO on the heavyweight champ, it's ridiculous to even think about, come on man, you've boxed before?

Francis has never boxed anyone at this level, he wouldn't beat anyone in the top 20, never mind the champ

He wouldn't beat the top 20 in Cruisers, never mind heavyweights

This fight is about money, that's it and I wouldn't be surprised too see Fury take a few dives/let himself get hit, its an absolute joke of a fight, more legit fights in the WWE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Yep

How people keep getting hooked in by these fights is beyond belief, how many more times can they be conned till they wake up?

There is more of a chance of Francis winning the world strongest man competition than there is him winning against the HW champ

These sports are incomparable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think it goes the same as mayweather mcgregor only with Ngannou looking even less competitive than McGregor did, i cant see him getting near fury and i can see him getting very tired trying.

Fury a huge favorite. We all know this. But it’s silly to dismiss a KO possibility with a huge man like Francis, who is very heavy-handed and is a combat athlete.

Barring a KO, I’d give Francis 0 chance. I get this.

I simply think his size and power and ability to throw heavy leather will see Fury needing to be careful.

And folks need to realize that Francis will be boxing prepared for this, not MMA preparing.

I disagree that he has 0 chance to KO Fury. I’d give him more a chance to KO Fury than I gave Conor to KO Floyd.

Post edited by walshb on

That’s a silly comparison. It’s two men throwing punches. Just one punch can end a fight. And I know there is more to boxing than just punching. Setting up shots very important.

I won’t be buying it, but I’d absolutely watch it.

Btw, just on CWs beating Francis. Same. Barring a KO I’d back good cruisers to hammer him.

Canelo would hammer him. But same KO risk is there. And it’s a decent risk.

Funny, Francis probably have better chance landing a good shot on Fury compared to far shorter man.

• Advertisement

I think he will look less competitive because unlike Floyd, who was ridiculously defensive against a novice, allowing Conor get to work, Fury will be far more aggressive and will dominate Francis…

I thought Floyd looked offensively dreadful against Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A glorified exhibition. Frank thinks it's a game changer. If Eddie had announced something similar for Aj, no doubt Frank would have a somewhat different view of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Eddie is putting on the biggest heavyweight fight this year apparently, it sold out 02 so fast himself and the other clown said it could have sold out Wembley

promoters talk bollocks all the time it’s part of the game, with that being said the fury v ngannu thing is pathetic

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Fury - pathetic champion. Strip him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That fight is an absolute pathetic con. It makes me angry. Reminds me of the time the insufferable Mo Farah challenged Bolt to a catch-distance race of 500 or something like that. Bolt told him it was pathetic and fair play to him. Crap like that brings both and all sport into disrepute. Players pretend that the Compromise Rules games matter but we all know it’s an utter pisstake. I can’t think of a single combo sport where it’s even remotely interesting. It’s a mixture of one or both guys with excellent skill sets in one sport looking goofy attempting the other. When Aaron Kernan went over to Sunderland they took almost no interest in him, surprised him with a fitness test out of nowhere and then ridiculed the results on tv. James Bentley came over here and they organised a challenge game in order to make him look good but the fella didn’t understand the idea of goals and points. (He was well treated in fairness). How the hell could Fury not make a match within the top 10 or even 20 and give a Rocky Balboa a shot instead of this farce? It shows just what he thinks of his fans and followers and it would be no surprise to me if it’s because he’s juiced to the eyeballs again and it’s a time wasting tactic to avoid the discovery. I’m close to being done with it. I’m sure Fury is bothered.

Fabio wardley and David Adeleye has been ordered, two young lads that will go for it from the first bell

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

I shouldn't even be entertaining this post as all it does is add more build up to the fight but no, this is a complete waste of time.

MMA is just totally different. MMA rounds last 5 minutes and you have to guard your whole body. Boxing is upper body only.

MMA leads to more fatigue and looser guards meaning opportunities for knockouts. Smaller gloves also.

Most of these knockouts in MMA are due to the ability to keep punching when someone is down on the ground. There would be far less knockouts in MMA if there was a count like in boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Go back and look at the odds in the days leading up to the Mayweather McGregor fight.

People actually got sucked into it and thought McGregor had a chance.

It was the easiest money ever made.

Nobody is disputing that MMA and boxing are different, and nobody is even saying that the striking/punching mechanics are the same; they are not. But Francis will be boxing preparing for this, not MMA preparing; add in that he is also a big and capable athlete.

Nobody is saying he will become a quality boxer now. But he will still be standing right in front of another man and throwing really heavy power punches. It's really that simple.

Fury will be a big favorite. We all know this, and know why this is. Francis has a KO chance should he manage to land hard/clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Usyk/Dubois - One sided smashing for Dubois in Poland, Usyk to win easily

AJ/ Dillian - AJ to win a plodding 12 rounder. Would rather have seen him fight Wallin, but of course he would not do that.

Fury - this proves he is afraid of Usyk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

100% correct.

If it was MMA Francis would tear fury a new one in round one.

Fury will jab him till he can't see.

I’m really surprised you’re saying this lad. Can you really honestly see how he could set up the shots. Fury will know how to avoid the Hail Mary shots and there wont be a whole lot outside of that to bother him. Fury wins this whatever way he chooses. Nganno will be a big, strong sturdy lump but he will look awful. Wouldn’t shock me in the least if the entire thing were a fix

How does it prove he’s afraid of Usyk of the Saudi skills people said the venue is not ready, both Usyk and fury are waiting for the big payday and who could blame them as it could be their last

you could look at it like Usyk should have signed the Wembley contract also, promoters and media has certain narratives to spin and we all get sucked in and diss appointed the big fights don’t happen asap

Ngannu is 7/1 and getting paid 8m for this event, it might be pathetic but f me it’s a money maker for the men

the men with the oil money will take over boxing soon

Saying what? We all know Fury will be a heavy favorite.....he will be far too good for Francis..

All I said was that Francis is a big unit who has very heavy power. A shot is all it can take to knock a man out. He is also not some random lad off the street. He is a combat athlete, who already has combat attributes. He will be preparing for boxing here.

Folks are jumping in making out I am saying this is some 50-50 fight. I am clearly not saying this. Fury should be 50-1 on here, but he absolutely needs to consider and be ready for the possibility that Francis tags him very hard.

Far too much can be made out of all this....bottom line is two men are meeting in a boxing ring and will throw punches. One man is goin to have far more boxing experience and ring generalship, but the other man is not some nobody who can't walk straight. He'll be a danger while he is there throwing punches.

I am not saying Francis will look like a real boxer, and never said this; but he doesn't have to be. He just needs to be somewhat sturdy, balanced and able to get in range to throw punches. It's not rocket science for a combat athlete.

I'd give him a very very slim chance to win, but for comparison, he would have a far better chance of pulling off a win (via KO) than Conor ever had of beating Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

There's no chance man. I'm sorry, but Fury has been training in boxing all his life. He's not getting touched in any meaningful way by a lad who's been training boxing for a few months.

Ngannou wouldn't even beat most heavyweight boxers viewed as "poor".

Every sports elite athletes are there because they've perfected their skill over years, day in day out. It's like saying a top 100m hurdle runner can spend a few months training for the 100m and challenge the gold medal spot. It just doesn't happen, the marginal gains made by those perfecting the 100m sprint is just too much to bridge.

These analogies are pointless.....

racing is one man against a clock, ultimately. Boxing is two men against each other, where a loss can be down to a punch, and all the skills/experience gaps in the world can be negated

Francis has very little chance. I am with you on this, albeit you say NO chance. I disagree with the no chance assertion. He has the power and this gives him that chance. Whether he can deliver it in a way to find Fury's chin is to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Slim chance but it absolutely could happen. Anyone can get hit, Fury is very hittable, and Ngannou has massive power. Huge.

Delighted for Ngannou. Looks like he'll take 6 million or so from this.

• Advertisement

Finally.....Thought I was going mad. Had posters wondering if I knew that MMA and Boxing were different..

And the power could well be delivered technically and soundly. Folks think he will be slow and wild and aimless.....he may be, but he absolutely may not be.

Advertisement