Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapes

Options
  • 13-07-2023 3:05pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Man, tapes get a bad rap, but the truth is tapes were pretty awesome.

I just got a whole nostalgic buzz for tapes. I think it was because I saw something about Richer Sounds and it reminded me of days where I'd go in to town and buy some "That's" tapes to expand my ever growing collection of portable music. Back when the Walkman was king of the portable person music playing.

Regular, Chrome or even Metal tapes! 60 minutes or 90? There was even 100 minute tapes if you knew where to look.

The old dilemma of having a track get cut half way at the end of one side. Do you rewind and start it from the start on side B or do you start recording from where it left off?

What about if you're recording a 45 minute album to a 60 minute tape? What do you do with the extra space at the end?

Make sure you bring spare batteries with you for those long trips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Cassettes were great for making compilations and mixtapes.

Whenever I bought a new album (on vinyl) I would record it onto a blank cassette for playing on my Walkman.

I hardly ever bought albums on cassette though - maybe 10 in my lifetime.

Cassettes did serious damage to vinyl sales from 1983 onwards though - that's one thing I really resent about them - as they're much inferior to either vinyl or CD as a listening format.

In 1988, four out of every six new albums sold was on cassette. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,812 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had a red Sony CFS 201L that I got for my communion back in '89 / '90, used to tape my dad's vinyl to play on it.

Thing is, the vinyl was all about 20-30 years old at that stage, so it was warts n'all! I actually still expect to hear scratches at certain parts of Dark Side of the Moon when I listen to it to this day and am a tad disappointed when they're not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

While cassettes are noisy and wear. They actually like vinyl have a decent dynamic range. When we first had CD's they were clipped so badly that I preferred the cassette. The CDs sounded lifeless in comparison. Now so bands have gone back and remastered their CDs, those new versions of CDs sound amazing.

I digitized my own cassettes to high bitrate MP3s before dumping them. What I noticed though on some cassettes the pitch was off, because of wear on the cassette but also the belts on my cassette player needed replacing. I had to readjust to the correct pitch on remastered CDs. Played havoc tuning the guitar to it.

When I switched from cassettes I disliked the quality of CDs at that time. So I switched to MiniDisc. Which obviously is lossy, but I found ATRAC very musical vs early mp3. Mp3 is much improved now and my ears have disimproved.

This channel is great for retro audio especially cassettes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

This is the beast I had for most of my teenage years. Traded copious amounts of hip hop tapes back in the day.

• Advertisement

I had a walkman that took 4xAAs. It didn't last my 3hr coach to college. I used to bring spare batteries and then rechargeables. Multiple tapes aswell. In the latter years I had some really nice walkman. The slim modern ones all broke eventually though.

I have my audio cassettes as MP3 on my phone. All the hiss and crackle still there. So nice.

Funny - I have the opposite view re CDs.

I love the sound of early CDs (1983-1993 or so) as many of them were flat transfers / quiet pressings with plenty dynamic range.

The loudness wars saw some terrible remasters in the 1990s and 2000s. Really compressed and brickwalled.

Some debate on it here...

Some of it probably the player. I had an early Discman (now desirable for collectors) that sounded great but was replaced with succession of unsatisfactory sounding (to my ear) models. It's was that which lead me to HeadFi and realising about SQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Early MP3 sounded awful, like music played through a metal pipe.

🙈🙉🙊

I wasn't trying to get into a fidelity war with this thread. I was just tripping down a nostalgia buzz about going and buying tapes, making the labels, copying from mates, copying for mates, making my first mix tapes, using some of the stickers to put on my early skratch records, having literally 2 black bags of tapes in the back of my first car when I finally got one and it had a tape deck.

All great memories. I regret not digitizing my tapes. Now they're gone forever. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

CDs have a vastly higher dynamic range than both vinyl and tape. 50dB for tape, 60dB for vinyl, 96dB for CD. dB is logarithmic, 3dB is double.

As mentioned above, you may have your timings backwards and be remembering the loudness wars crap CDs of the early 00s, two decades after CDs first came out. 1980s CDs did not clip; but some people found the undistorted audio lifeless versus the various, potentially pleasing, distortions on vinyl or less often tape.

As for tapes - any new issues are inherently crap cause Dolby is dead. Can't licence the encoding for new recordings, and you can't get new kit that encodes or decodes it cause Dolby pulled licencing over a decade ago. To even get the best out of older tapes (which could be very, very good if recorded on good kit with good tape) you would want a late 90s deck, with new tapes and possibly new capacitors - a lot of money, time and effort.

There were even 120 and 150 minute tapes. They snapped. A lot.

I should have said when I first had CD's. Not we. I certainly wasn't buying CDs when they first came out. Anyway it was before the loudness wars.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/1201/835827-virgin-megastore-opens-in-dublin/

Putting the labels on the edge of the case or doing your own cassette art.

Then one would break and you'd cello-tape it back together and record it tape to tape to another. Double speed recording. Then those cases with the plastic trays.

MiniDisc and HiMD had the same buzz.

I remember C100s - they tended to be Type II

C120s were good for recording concerts off Radio 2 but you needed to handle with care.

If a track got cut off half way, I taped over it with silence and started fresh on the next side.

I always recorded 45 minute albums onto one side of a C90. The AGFAs usually came with 3 extra minutes per side.

For albums of 50/55 minutes, I used C60s but that caused a dilemma re the extra space - do you fill up the first side and put extra tracks on the end of the second side? Or do you preserve the original sides' integrity so have blank space on both sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I found my old walkman last week. It’s 25 years old….. and dusty.

I found my collection of 204 tapes… dusty too. stuck a couple of batteries in and found all the radio presets were the French stations I was listening to over there. Sound is as impressively crystal clear as I remember….

Then Chrome tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I used to have an amazing Aiwa walkman, made from titanium. It broke at some stage, and I kept it in a drawer for a few years, but I really regret throwing it out in a clear out.

I still have all my tapes, boxed away in my dads attic room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recently sold a decent 90s sony tape deck; the belts had perished and i wasn't going to get a return on the €10 or so investment on replacing them. i still have dozens of old tapes i'd recorded from CD (lot of thats branded tapes) at home, i should find a home for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Mine will just end up in the bin, after I die. 😂

I ripped all mine using MD/HiND which was a super easy way to do it. All that gear is gone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

I was in town the other day and spotted something odd as I passed by a car! On the dashboard was one of those yokes that you could keep tapes in and there were about five or six tapes in it.

Anyone else remember the lad (lads?) on the Ha'penny bridge that used to sell bootleg tapes?

I recall buying Energy Rush 6 and GnR - The Spaghetti Incident. Possibly more but those are the one I remember.

The mates bought a few and we all traded and recorded off each other. The days before Napster, LimeWire et al, lol.

Some awful quality recording quality. Lot of live recording.

Bought some live bootlegs off them.

Got a few in the Energy Rush series. Always bought dance compilations on CD from 1988 onwards - the vinyl versions had 30+ minutes per side and sounded like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think some of those concerts were recorded with a tape recorder outside because the sound was so muffled you barely make out which song it was on a couple I bought .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭blackbox

I always hated vinyl. In theory the sound was great but in practice it was full of pops and scratches and so easily damaged.

Cassette tapes were a huge improvement on this with the only downside that there was always a background hiss (much reduced with Dolby). The fundamental problem was that the tape speed was too low. The other big advantage they had over vinyl was the ability to copy stuff.

When CDs came in they simply blew away everything else. Fabulous sound and almost indestructible.

Audio systems have not improved since the days of CDs (apart from convenience).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

You can't beat opening a new vinyl record and putting on to play then looking at the cover and inside if it was a double .Just something about it magic .

I like a good quality CD. But I do like the analogue quality of tapes and vinyl. CDs and Vinyl just not as portable as tapes.

Favourite format was mini disc and HiMD.

• Advertisement

I did love the minidiscs for the brief time that they were the 'post tape - pre mp3' format. I think if they had taken off even 5 years earlier they would have had a much stronger foot hold and presence. They were barely gaining traction with the masses before iPods stormed the potable music domain.

Advertisement