Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You lot are absolutely mad.

Ngannou will be paid off, and Fury will carry him so nobody complains about a quick stoppage.

Usyk is the best heavyweight at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was staged. But that’s a different discussion.

if it’s 100 percent both trying to win, then my points stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

Ngannou can win, in the same way Aldershot Town can win if they play Man City in the FA Cup.

Well I’d gamble way more on Francis to win compared to Aldershot

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

If Wilder and Klitschko couldn’t KO Fury then I don’t think this lad can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭bmc58

Fury is gone like McGregor.All talk and nothing at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

yeah fury has gone down in my estimation too, wasting his best years as a boxer, will regret it someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,393 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ever hear of Gail Devers? 😁

Ngannou has a punchers chance and no more than that. He has power but he'd be very lucky and highly unlikely to get close enough to use it.

Fury is smart, protecting his unbeaten record by fighting a lot of bums. Outside of Wilder he hasn't fought a serious contender since he fought 39 year old Wladimir Klitschco.

He's earned somewhere in the region of £200 million. Why would he fight a serious opponent and risk losing his easy paydays?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i remember eddie wanted AJ to fight Ngannou a while ago

johnny fisher was announced for the aj undercard and i think he's talking about Carty going on it too

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

How sad boxing at HW is: I’d make Francis a bigger risk to Fury than Whyte to AJ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What an inversion, a well ranked heavyweight is less of a risk to a fellow heavyweight than a man who has never had a boxing bout before against one of the very best heavyweights in the world. I know walshb you like to take contrarian positions for the sake of it, but this takes the biscuit!

Post edited by nacho libre on

No it does not take any biscuit. Dillian Whyte is shot to bits and was never that good anyway. I reckon AJ beats him easily.. very easily. Who gives an absolute fiddlers where Whyte is “ranked.”

I reckon Fury beats Francis easily as well.

The only manner of victory I see for Whyte is KO. The only manner of victory for Francis is KO.

at this stage (due to Whyte being so shot to bits) I reckon Francis has better chance to get the upset.

Bookies aren’t too far off me either. AJ and Fury are 7-1 and 10-1 ON; Whyte and Francis are 4-1 and 6-1

l’ll ask you a question: Whyte and Chisora..are they riskier to Fury than Francis?

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This exhibition bout most certainly does take the biscuit ,walshb.

Whyte is not top tier, but he is a more credible opponent than Nagannou. Anyone ranked in the top 10 is. Whyte has more of a chance of beating Joshua than Ngannou does of beating Fury

If Nagannou had even a brief career as a pro boxer with one or two good names on his resume your argument might have some merit. Ngannou has as much chance of beating Fury as the Irish Soccer team have of qualifying the euros! Frank Sanchez or Hergovic(?) Would have provided a good test for Fury. Frank Warren thinks there is only three boxers in the Heavyweight decision. He obviously has never heard of the ranking system either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

This is a great way to put the whole thing into context. I’d add Ortiz and Ruiz into that mix. Fury had 5 or 6 much more credible options than this nonsense. If Nganno had any real ambition in boxing then he’d have a couple of pro tune up fights and be confident of winning them. His only hope here is to come out swinging and if he does then Fury will nail him. He will likely instead come out tentative and be picked apart gradually. I expect his fitness to be nowhere near good enough either. I can’t believe we’re talking about it. He may look no worse than Whyte did on the night but he is much worse an option. It’s a mockery.

Francis’ ambition is about 8 million dollars. About 10 times more than his highest ever payday.

Fury is just content to take as little risk to his 0 as possible.

btw this nonsense has a rematch clause for fury

If the Saudi guys didn’t come in with big bags of cash I think Usyk would have taken the Wembley deal

I am still not convinced the wilder v Aj fight will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

In case he gets caught with a hail mary haymaker.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Alas, the days of Frazier, Norton, Foreman and Shavers are all but a distant memory..

The above were gladiators of the profession, the unbeaten zero was a stain on their character, they ducked nobody.

Take Ruiz v Joshua 2, Fury v Chisora or Whyte, Usyk v Joshua for that matter...... All crap!

Joshua stayed so far out of range, you could have fitted an entire kitchen between them, never mind the kitchen sink (both fights)

The deluded Fury took 'rope a dope' to an entirely new level....

Heavyweight boxing needs re-setting.. I suggest the dollar chasing eejits at the top, spare three minutes to watch the fifteenth and final round between Larry Holmes and Ken Norton.. True warriors laying it all on the line, Norton gained as much respect for losing as Holmes did for winning.

I think Whyte has a very realistic chance of beating Joshua.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No chance Whyte checked out a few years ago,

The division is a mess, there all blaming Fury but i think there all to blame ,

Fury could have backed down on pay & got Usyk , Usyk could have backed down on pay & got Fury , AJ simply doesn't want Fury not right now he'd have ended his career, Ruiz asked for stupid money to fight Fury , Wilder the only one who can't be blamed here

I do think by next summer it'll all be sorted,

Can you just imagine, Ruiz, Whyte, Francis & Dubois all win it would be magic,

Was getting a lot out of that post nodding away… until the last line.

But for the craic which of the aforementioned has the best chance of the upset for you? For me I’d say Dubois, there are obvious advantages there.

intersting take on the division

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Just on the last bit there, you do know Ngannou isn’t fighting for a title?

In order of upset chances: Ruiz, Dubois, Francis and last is Whyte.

• Advertisement

I’d definitely swap Whyte and Francis and also would consider Dubois ahead of Ruiz. Has the Ruiz Wilder fight been made or an inch closer? At least the other ones are happening.

Advertisement