Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

On GC , Movistar are utter pants. Highest placed rider is Gorka Izzaguire in 26th, over 32 minutes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stage 13, Happy Bastille everyone 😁

So the whole of France will want one of their own to win this one. Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that happens. I don't think the break has any hope. Most climbers are not good on the flat and as you can see from the profile it's pretty flat for over half the stage. They are not going to build enough of a gap on the only other climb of the day.

We are set up for a GC battle on the Grand Colombier. Pog has won it before. He announced himself when beating Roglic on this climb a few years ago.

I think we'll only have two men left at the finish.

I'll go for Pog to get the win and claw another four seconds off Vingegaard's lead. Both men should be fresh so I think it'll come down to a sprint finish between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Pinot for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pinot burned a lot of matches today, if a french person is going to win, Bardet has more of a hope, if he sneaks into a break or gets a headstart on the final climb.

Cant see past one of the big 2 myself either, though.

Post edited by retalivity on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Mas is out since stage 1 so don't think they have any interest in GC, hopefully Matteo gets a stage one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

One TdF stage win. PL must wish he had kept Sam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

i forgot tomorrow is Bastille day. I’m driving to Paris tomorrow evening and then on to near La Rochelle the next day. I’m going to miss this stage and probably have to deal with holiday weekend traffic! Disaster

Anyway, Vingegaard to win.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

Couldn't disagree more. Of all the most recent tours this is the most believable.

TJV drive it on the front and suffer the next day. Vingegaard loses time. Pogacar over does it another day and loses time to Vingegaard the day after. Ala, MvdP bury themselves trying to get in breaks and blow up late on. Jorgenson goes solo 50km from home and blows up on Puy de Dome while Woods minds himself the same day and pips him for the win.

What gaps exactly on solo runs are you referring to? And what speeds are so unbelievable? What are you comparing these speeds to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

Are posts being edited by mods for the vague insinuation that 'someone' may be doping?... That's a bit much 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Jakobson has been more successful than Sam Bennett since Sam left Quickstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The way i see it the tour is Pog’s to lose, its a matter of when not if he takes the YJ off vgg.

The problem he has is that taking the yellow to early means trouble, it means more media work, less rest and most of all contending with jumbo throwing the kitchen sink at him, he will be asking his team to lead out and the relentless attacks that will have to come might actually cause him problems.

I dont doubt that he can get time on vgg today in the last few kms of the Colombier or on sunday at the finish up to saint-gervais and again on Tuesday he could make up time in the TT.

Maybe he will try and get a few seconds today and the time bonus of 10 seconds to make it really close but he looks so comfortable confident and strong that he can decide when he wants to go into yellow over the next few days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I wouldn't be that confident. I think today will be close between them, as there is only 1 real climb. But tomorrow and Sunday and stages 17 and 20 have a lot more climbing which apparently will suit Jonas more. He also put time on Pog on TT last year. I think it is still all to play for which frankly I'm delighted about, gonna be some great stages to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Superb. The TdF - well cycling generally - can be such a visual feast. There's no other pro sport like it really. Can't wait for retirement and pootering around Europe in a campervan enjoying the different races, landscapes and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

For someone that doesn't know the sport (but has watched the last 30km of every stage this year after watching the netflix doc the week before), why wouldn't that stage finish suit a climber assuming they reached the last climb in the same group as the GC guys? Or are you saying that the GC group would likely build a gap on the flat over them that the climbers wouldn't regain on the final climb?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Climbers on on the GC battle will try and jump somewhere on the final climbs and hope the big 2 don't chase.

Problem is in that short time you have to build a big enough lead that you don't get caught when the big 2 attack each other and its not easy build that lead when the big teams are setting a tough pace up the climbs.

Same problem for the breakaway. You need a huge lead on the flat which is not easy for a mountain rider.

Saying all that I do think a breakaway rider will win today.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

About 40 or 50 riders will be in a breakaway to nowhere I suspect

Vinegooogoogoo to win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

I don't see a Vingegaard win.

Pog to win in a sprint with Vingogo. He'll the full bonus points + another 2 seconds and claw back the GC gap to 11 seconds.

Still leaves JV with the yellow and all the media drama that comes with it.

• Advertisement

Can you imagine missing out on winning the TdF because you were obsessing over not taking too much time back in case you'd have to do extra media work after each stage? Things are on course to be incredibly tight in the GC battle... I'd be surprised if either Pog or Vingo didn't jump at the chance to stick the knife in where the opportunity arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Teams don’t care about media drama these days, especially the likes of Jumbo. It’s having to take on control the peloton and making sure nobody with GC hopes goes off in a big break etc, burning more energy than the team in 2nd sitting behind

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

what time would you expect to hit the final climb. may head home early to watch it if the time suits

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

the break will prob need 5/6 mins lead at the bottom of the colombier if it’s going to succeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The official itinerary is suggesting sometime around 4.30pm local time.

So, 3.30 Irish time or thereabouts, depending on how fast/slow the stage goes.

Not looking good for a break with this pace from UAE.

On a side note to the big 2 we now have the FdJ 2 even though Pinot says he still doesn't care about GC and also the 2 Yates are absolutely glued to each other.

Realistically, the team sitting in 2nd will be just as keen to make sure nobody in the top 10 goes off in a big break. I take your point, it just seems that the talk about not wanting the yellow jersey 'too soon' is a relatively new theory that's grown legs without much substance. Fair enough, you don't necessarily want it in week 1, but...

Ewan abandons

Really hating the breakaways this year. Couldn't really give a shte about any of these guys winning or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

On the Columbier now

Advertisement