Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

🤣, That's why I crack up when people in Ireland give out when we get a dry spell, FFS it's Ireland the rain will always come back just let us enjoy the dry spell(rare as they are) in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Rain gone in Cork, sun now out and, surprisingly, there is real heat in the air (amplified in the sun). Feels like there was very warm air behind the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy rain in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

It is hard to believe that it is July in Dublin. It is so dark at the moment. COuld be December outside with the light levels.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Persistent moderate/heavy rain in Greystones, windy and very poor visibility. Grim! 15.0mm so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Over 40mm since just before 6am in north Tipp. Light misty rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

What, its bucketing rain in Cork still as I type!! You must be up a mountain 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Torrential rain/trees swaying voliently from side to side, west Dublin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very heavy rain this morning in Kerry, just saw minor floods, council and private contractors out pumping drains, misty now and a lot milder and humid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The temperature chart for Europe just tells it's own story, Ireland and the UK the coldest part of Europe aside from Iceland. Parts of the artic getting to 24c while Ireland is 10c colder. This is why I hate the Atlantic.

Atlantic muck in the middle of winter is 14c and the same Atlantic muck in the middle of July is 14c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

13.5 degrees in north east and lashing That’s a shocking day for January nevermind July 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Utterly depressing day. Like the depths of December

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lads, if it were 36 or 37 degrees in Ireland next week, ye would be begging for an Atlantic influence.

I know today is a complete piss pot weather wise; but for our farmers, our beautiful gardens, our wild flora and fauna and our plentiful fresh mountain drinking water, as well as for our moderate pleasant summers and mild winters, I thank whatever God is up there for the Atlantic every day......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Any news on the soil moisture deficits:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

I'd far sooner have 36° than the current 13° with wind and rain. That's an easy one to choose for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I would like something in between- say 21-22 degrees. I will be happy if we get a settled spell in August with temperatures similar to that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

AROME was out on its own predicting little rain in the east. AROME did very well most of the time during the convective weather setups a few weeks ago and that's where it usually does do best. I had my doubts as to whether it would be correct for today as it was in contradiction to all the other main models and I guess today just goes to show that it's not so good when it comes to frontal events, at least in this case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I certainly wouldn’t give me those temps every day of the week.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would easily trade todays muck for 36c/37c. If we had those sort of temperatures in Ireland several times every summer with high 20s and low 30s more the norm we would have different style houses, we would have places to cool off, air conditioning and sprinklers in the garden. Days like today are just filth and there is nothing more miserable weatherwise.

The farmers would also have adjusted and actually store water for periods without rain which they should be doing here anyway considering we do get prolonged dry spells from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Heating might have to be turned on

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads none of you told me it was also freezing aswell!

At least the atrocious day on Monday was warm rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Darkest day in a long time. Our solar panels have done little if anything today. Similiar to a day in December generation wise .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In fairness Larbre if today was a once off I wouldn't mind but it's not.

It lashed like this all day Monday, plenty of rain on Tues, dry but mainly cloudy on Wed, cloudy yesterday with plenty of showers, lashing today and cold.

It's peak summer, weather has been horrible in July even by Irish summer standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Might head to the Arctic for a tan.

Norwegian meteorologists say that in the Arctic, a record high temperature of 28.8C (83.8F) has been measured at Slettness Fyr on the northern tip of the Norway.

This tops a previous record from July 1964 when the thermometer reached 27.6C (81.7F).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

For one I agree with Larbre 😉

Imagine being in Southern Europe now? Hellish.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Thank you Gonzo (and Donegal too)

I know it's impossible to predict with certainty the weather so far ahead. My thinking is that any predictions at all seem pointless given how exceptional temperatures have been in recent years.

But we will take our chances with the second or third week in October and let the hotel costs be the deciding factor rather than the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Lol at all the bickering still! 🤣

I don’t think anyone here is saying we want southern Europe climate all the time. It would require changes as mentioned. Would be too hot with our housing, etc.

A climate more like Germany I’d take any day over what we have been cursed with!

Low to Mid twenties throughout most of the summer with a few 30 / 30+ days thrown in for good measure. Like what Germany gets. Substantially better than here but not southern med consistently warm / hot.

And some good MCS thunderstorms guaranteed each summer to keep things interesting. Germany gets some nice storms pretty much guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for coastal areas of Galway, Mayo and the off-shore islands.

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Unseasonably strong winds.

Valid: 10:00 Saturday 15/07/2023 to 21:00 Saturday 15/07/2023

Issued: 15:49 Friday 14/07/2023

Advertisement