Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Must say it’s very good of Harry and Meaghan not to be doing anything of interest right now with all the other scandals happening- it’s a bitch on mobile trying to toggle between different threads - thanks H&M hope all well with ye 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I think they’re absorbing the fact that they haven’t been put forward for an Emmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

No Emmy nod could well be the ball game for them. With no nomination they don't even get to attend all the networking events to canvas/schmooze with the Emmy voting block in order to big up their chances of winning. That kind of fake sincerity which Jim Carrey said he could never stomach but which is required to display committment and generate awards "buzz". They can't catch any break and given their lack of any meaningful invites as is then it's a major blow because, unlike the aforementioned Carrey, they would probably fully embrace the campaigning thoroughly as it would be good for the brand and offer great networking opportunities/optics up to the award ceremony itself. Presenting one wouldn't have been out of the question.

Being cynical and taking the general snubbery they are facing in La La Land into account then perhaps it was extended to mean a lack of a nod and foregoing the prospect of interacting with damaged goods during the award campaigning. They're not the only ones aware of optics, propping up the brand etc.

Popular shows generally attract nominations. The Netflix show was their big ticket but despite drawing a big audience it didn't translate to an Emmy nod. Maybe Netflix, like Spotify, are also done and felt no need to do any push on behalf of the series because they'll be cutting ties. Whatever H&M are trying it just isn't working.

Did I read about some sort of a Hollywood critics award nomination or am I dreaming?

It was indeed nominated for the critics award. Whatever about the subjective quality of the series it can't be denied that it got people watching, talking, arguing, making memes etc. As such it was a successful television show and it is surprising that it didn't get at least an Emmy nod by way of acknowledging the impact it had.

• Advertisement

I dunno - it was popular in my view because for the first time in decades, a senior member of the royal family went on camera to discuss his life in the royal family and essentially bitch about them- it had a kindof voyeristic appeal but nothing more. Also it was over inflated -The key points could have been done over 2 episodes - I just don’t see the appeal of it but maybe its uniqueness is enough to get an award

A submission to the Hollywood critics award nominations cost the princely sum of $300. You can self nominate....

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Self praise is no praise. I remember that being drummed into us in school.

a lot of awards outside of on Oscar a Grammy or a BAFTA are just makeyuppy things, especially the award Meaghan got recently- all about who you know and nothing about what you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Stanley 1

And with all their wailing, no Grammy nom either..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭prunudo

Heard a headline on the radio on the drive home about this, insiders saying the marraige is in trouble and they are living apart. But other sources saying its all lies. GB news has a bit but the other mainstream media don't seem to be covering it.

Time will tell if its vicous rumours from the gutter press or if indeed there is no smoke without fire.

Post edited by prunudo on

They say there's only two people who know what's going on in any relationship - it's the couple themselves, so you'd think it would be Harry and Meghan. But in this case, I wonder if the two are Meghan and Doria. As you say @prunudo, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No doubt if they do split up it will be the press and racist public to blame and would open up a whole new 'woe is me' revenue stream for them both.

Unless it comes from them or spokespeople (e.g. that they are consciously uncoupling) then it's all BS rumours, gossip and speculation from "experts", insiders, sources close to, close friends et al conjured up to create filler content. Recent example being Harry calling a surprised William about a truce and Meghan being mad because she wasn't told. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Apparently they asked to fly back to the US with Joe Biden on air force 1 after the queens funeral. They really still think they are a kind of parallel royal family, plus, always looking for a free ride lol. If this is true, which I honestly can't even imagine, then this is severely delusional and just bizarre behaviour. It's not an Uber ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Apparently..

I dunno - at the very least I’d propose they’re floundering - there’s too much speculation to ignore- I think there will be an element of self fulfilling prophecy here anyway regardless in terms of Meaghan, maybe less so Harry but it’s still a factor I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Hmmmm what a surprise a Harry & Meghan story as top headline and nothing about Dan Wooton on the Daily Mail (online). Makes you wonder. Oh they were quick enough to have wall to wall coverage for Huw, even before his name was released.

Anyway, I'd totally chance it and ask for a lift home in Air Force 1 if I had the opportunity!

Yep I thought that myself earlier - good call out just shows what a twisted hypocritical dual personality paper the Daily Mail is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The British press manufacture stuff. i.e., claiming they wanted a lift back to Washington DC on Air Force One. Complete BS. Biden left 2 hours after the funeral service. Meghan and Harry attended the committal service in Windsor that night which started at 7.30. Why would they want to hitch a ride to Washington DC anyway?

I'd actually think that all these made up BS will keep them closer together - them againt the world and all that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

As Harry's friend, the Argentinian polo player posted on twitter. BS.

Don’t see that happening myself- it’s boring at this stage and we against the world as a foundation doesn’t really make for a strong relationship long term - I’d say Meaghan is starting to get disinterested - her career, such as it is, will clearly not go anywhere fast - if she retired from public life and became a stay at home mother, she wouldn’t be missed- that’s how little impact she’s having right now.

Much and all as I enjoyed the b1tchfests on this thread as a way of passing some time, I’m even losing interest 🤪

it’s clear now they’re struggling to come up with anything that’s marketable or that people will have an interest in- I imagine the African documentary is a locked in deal and one Harry would be very suited to I must admit, but given the writers strike, who knows when that will happen- after that it looks like they’re desperately trying to make themselves relevant and failing miserably.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's unlikely that the split rumours are true but if they are, then it's likely that any divorce settlement will come from the vast personal wealth of Charles and with the biggest kind of gagging order on her. For them it's a drop in the ocean but would be money well spent. She's entitled to keep her title until she remarries. She might trade it in for a billionaire, but it's not worth much if she can't merchandise it. Nobody is interested in anything she has except insider gossip and the appetite for even the insatiable royal gossip is waning.

I don't see that Harry would go back to being a working royal, if they split. I'd say that they'd probably give him some pet projects in Africa, where he always seemed at his happiest and he'll be wheeled out for the big family days out.

He’d be a good thorn in the side of the British government if he got involved in Africa more- impacts of climate change, treatment of refugees, Govt funding, treatment and needs of the remaining commonwealth countries - he could have a field day on that for years to come but he needs the money behind him to fund that long term and to maintain his independence from Royal censure -so better he stays independently wealthy .

I think a good indicator for them becoming truly irrelevant is when those who have a side hustle/vested interest because of them give it up or at a minimum cover them intermittently. Think youtube channels which garners the owners a couple of grand a month from talking about them (e.g. Lady Victoria, The Body Language Guy etc.). It has now reached the point where Meghan papped by Back Grid at a farmers market has content creators saying this is a clue as to separation rumours i.e. Meghan bought flowers and this is a subtle hint to Harry that she can, like the Miley Cyrus song, buy herself flowers. There seems to be a desperation, in lieu of them being less active, in wanting them to divorce. As such any mere hint of strife between them, which is really their own business, will be latched onto for more content creation. Once these types of channels, seeing dwindling income via less interest and engagement, give up the game then they will truly have privacy assuming their marriage is a happy and lasting one. If there is any veracity to separation rumours and it becomes confirmed in public then these channels get a new lease of life because they get to go over past stories/rumours/gossip and details all over again ad nauseum with a fine tooth comb as well as opine on any developments because the money will keep coming in.

And this thread will get resurrected after years of neglect 🤪

They're also click bait for the Daily Mail etc., so they'll be turning their missiles somewhere else and adopting their usual ready, fire, aim approach.

Good point. Though if he stuck to the less contentious topics like conservation and STFU about any political stuff it could work. Charles is minted. Giving Harry a pet courtier who tells him what to say and do and in return Harry gets the quiet life might be money well spent though.

Harry only seemed to have money issues when he met Meghan and all of a sudden they required multiples of millions. Before that he was your typical toff, living for free in a family gaff, freeloading holidays on the quiet from other aristocrats and living easily off his couple of million a year from the Duchy. It's when he had to start funding a designer clad wife, a Kardashian style mansion and full on Secret Service levels of security to look the part that he saw his money haemorrhage out of his bank account at an alarming rate.

I think Harry does genuinely crave privacy, and I believe him when he says he wants to protect his children from the press scrutiny. If there is a marital rift I think that this is probably at the heart of it. I think what I'm saying is that without Meghan's spending, Harry is independently wealthy and would manage fine on his millions and his connections like before.

• Advertisement

It's odd that there's been no reputable sources such as Omid Scobie denying that there's any separation, or fluff pieces of them going on loved up dates in response to those rumours. Maybe the rumours of a separation are true. I did think that it was likely given the absolute whirlwind that must be their lives and the speed with which they got together and married, but I was hoping I would be wrong about them.

My guess is that if so, irrespective of how Harry's family feels about him right now, there's going to have to be some major cash settlement or hefty alimony coming from Charles's personal wealth for her, but the only way she'll get it is to have a major gagging NDA agreement, for a few reasons. Firstly, Charles's reign is in it's infancy. His mother was beloved and had a long life of royal service, very rarely putting a foot wrong. Charles is filling big shoes and frankly, he's not a patch on his Ma. Secondly Camilla, people in the UK have long memories. A vindictive ex wife of Harry is the last thing they need, so they will have to circle the wagons like they did with Andrew and offer her more money to stfu than she would make in tell-all interviews about what Harry is really like.

Advertisement