Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying off Mortgage balance on fixed rate

• 14-07-2023 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

I locked myself down to a 3% fixed rate with BOI for the next 5 years.

I'm not sure if this was a good idea as I'm thinking of paying off my mortgage early.

Could anyone give me a rough idea how much penalty I'd be charged for paying off ~66,000 in one lump sum?

Would be be brutal?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ask the lender they will be able to give you the exact figure, we can only guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭limnam

The penalty calculation for a lot of banks is on the back of the mortgage statment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Thanks, I actually found it.

A*(B%-C%)*D / 365

I'm wondering could you great guys explain "C - The annual percentage rate available to us for depositing an amount equal to "A" on the money market for a period equal to D"

(A = amount you pay off early, B = Fixed Rate %, D= time left on fixed rate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

As far as I know C is effectively the ECB interest rate

Since that has been going up, it's likely that C-B results in a negative number, in which case there is no charge for paying back any amount of your fixed rate

This is effectively what happened to me, I'm on a fixed rate with UB that got transferred to PTSB. When I asked PTSB about it they said they'd waived the redemption charges for all those mortgages since interest rates were so high now

You would need to confirm with BOI that this is the case before making an overpayment

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I'll say that we've managed to pay off quite a bit more than the normal 10% allowance this year without any penalties.

Hoping to have the mortgage beaten down as much as possible before the fixed rate ends in 2025 and all those rate increases hit home 😱

As I said, you'll need to double check with BOI but hopefully this helps

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭whatever76

Slightly different scenario - 2 yr fixed rate of 2.9 up in Nov with BOI and rang yesterday as thinking of paying a lump sum in ( sadly cant pay all !) . I am already overpaying monthly by the max 10% allowed without penalties.

I owe approx. 160k and 18 years left . The agent said I can do this but I could be charged a fee of which he said he does not know if I get hit or even how much - he said its all on day and market drives it or something to that effect. Any rough idea what this fee could be - if I put say 20 k off the 160k thanks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭whatever76

oh can I do that? -my thinking is get it down before my fixed is up as new rate will prob be over 3%

Once the fixed is finish you can pay off as much as you like.

So the first day it ends you can then put down your 20k with no penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Did you get the 3% recently? My current term ends in December and I am looking to switch mortgage providers as the cheapest I could see with BOI was 4.1%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Q&A

The break fee is a function of market rates and how they have moved since the day you fixed. Back then the ECB rate was on the floor and swap rates would have been near zero. Since then the ECB have put up rates and market rates have also moved. All that is a long winded way of saying Your break free is almost certainly zero.

Post edited by Q&A on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

The chances are that rates will be on the way down by then.

As above, break fee for full or partial repayment will almost certainly be zero.

But I would also review your pension before putting a sum off the mortgage. If you have a strong pension, then pay off part of the mortgage, but if it's not particularly high value, then look at options.

40% tax savings is a lot more attractive than 2.9% mortgage savings

Advertisement