Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

JV shedding riders ATM. Wonder if they are really goosed or just pretending, with the intention of saving them to batter UAE over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ffs the mankini guys were bad enough but that idiot with his shorts down under his arse needs a smack

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Peloton havent even taken a minute out in 10k or so, UAE will need to get the finger out if they want to win the stage.

Kwiato is having an awesome ride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Gap is holding he'll probably do it

• Advertisement

A long run for a short slide. A waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,432 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Awesome ride by Kwiatkowski.

Pog takes more seconds back. I think it's down to 9 seconds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,112 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I like that Pog doesn't do stupid start-stop attacks and give up when he sees the man on his wheel.

Would have been nice if he went sooner but he needed Kuss gone first.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,317 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ASO not doing the French riders any favours with that stage setup for Bastille Day.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Looks like the blood money is paying off for UAE this year anyways, Yates is going to be the difference maker here I think, just wasted Kuss to chase him which allowed Pog to go free in the end

• Advertisement

French cycling not doing Bastille Day, ASO or France any favours by being pretty sht.

The closest thing to a golden generation since their last TdF win is on its last legs and there is absolutely nothing coming up behind them.

You'd wonder if the rest of JV (except Jonas and Kuss) took it easy to make it a hard day tomorrow...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Lenny Martinez and Romain Gregoire look like decent prospects to me but they may flatter to deceive like so many.

On the basis that the actual gap between Pog and Vingo at the finish would have been the same regardless of whether they finished 1-2 or 20-21, Pog essentially burned his team for a four second time bonus. Kuss moving onto Yates wheel and keeping Pog off it was very smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think POG knows he has vgg number now for definate. He knows where and how he can beat him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Impressive ride from Pidcock in fairness. Maybe his GC ambitions are realistic after all.

He got 4 bonus seconds as well, so a total of 8

• Registered Users Posts: 30,317 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes maybe ASO have realised that too, and have given up trying to tweak things to their advantage :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

What I mean is that all the team work today only yielded those 4 bonus seconds - he would have got the other gap regardless.

Only 4 seconds. Don't let Purito ever hear you say that 😁

• Advertisement

He'd probably have to ditch the CX and MTB if he wants to make a concerted GC push.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you have a problem with the modding report it. Doping chat has very clear rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

So what did we learn today:

UAE domestiques aren't very good at burning themselves off at a high pace. It looked like Pogacar was asking for more speed and they couldn't give it to him, yet were able to all stay at the front for ages. Except for Yates of course. Maybe he should have gone to the front a lot earlier.

Vingegaard could only keep up with Pogacar for 20 seconds. Is Pogacar able to accelerate like that many kilometres from the end and settle into a high tempo? Does he have the confidence in his fitness to try it?

Maybe, just maybe Pidcock is capable of going for a Grand Tour in the future. He's doing better than I thought. This weekend will reveal all I think. We'll see if he can recover from these efforts.

The current generation of French cyclists are shite.

It's been set up for a potentially epic weekend. Really am quite excited to see how it unfolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

UAE rode to win the stage & take bonus seconds. The mistake they made was giving Kiwa too much time & this is proven by his power numbers available on Strava. It was an exceptional performance from the break by him.

A different rider out front Podj wins the stage & takes 10 seconds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

My key takeaway: Pogacar is the greatest cyclist I’ve ever seen. I’m too young for Merckx but saw Hinault on.

I really hope he wins the Tour. It completely bucks the trend of riders only focusing on the tour and ignoring the spring classics. The mad hoor will probably win Paris Roubaix next year.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Your too young to have seen Mercxx but old enough to be Pogs grandfather 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 38,432 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stage 14

This might be the most critical stage of the Tour.

The breakaway could have all the riders from 4th to 15th in it I think outside of those needed for the GC teams.

I was just thinking back to today's stage and Jumbo didn't do much while UAE did a whole lot. I'm thinking now that Jumbo rested riders and have a plan for today.

I think they'll take it up early and try and burn off as many UAE riders as they can, they have to be tired after all their efforts today.

Adam Yates will be crucial on this stage if Jumbo turn it up early. There's two cat 1's on this stage and you know Kuss will be there on the second one. Yates has to be there too.

There's a treacherous downhill finish to the stage and it's anyone's guess how that'll work out.

I can see UAE sending someone in the break, possibly Majka, and Jumbo will of course send WVA.

So I expect Jumbo to make the first cat 1 tough and then Kuss to really turn it up on the second one. If Yates is there he can play spoiler but if he's not then Jumbo have control and Pog has to sit on the wheel of Vingegaard as breaks will be hard to make with Kuss there willing to burn up all his energy to defy it.

If Vingegaard sees any cracks in Pog it'll make for a huge gap.

Having said all that I think Pog is back to his best and better than Vingegaard.

The Jumbo riders looked like they took the day off but Vingegaard couldn't and didn't. Vingegaard looked tired on the second rough day last week.

I'm predicting Yates is still there on the second cat 1 and spoils the well thought out plans of Jumbo.

I'll take Pog for the win and the yellow jersey.

Just about actually, if I was a a more frisky teenager

they/them/theirs

I really dislike mountain stages that finish on a descent. Mountain top finishes are peak Tour for me.

Honestly no no idea which way this goes. I just hope they get down the last descent safely

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

3 big fights to watch today.

Pog v vgg for Yellow

Rodriguez trying to catch hindley for 3rd place.

Powless defending his KOM by going early for the three cat 1 hills

Advertisement