Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I am a huge fan but come on now lads. It was conservative play that cost him. He was hoping others fell by the way side rather than winning it himself. He had a limp attempt at eagle 8 which ended in a par.

Fleetwood managed to find a 63, Rahm scored low as did Smith. It was doable he just didn't give himself a chance with fairly reserved play.

I go back to Brooks at the master. "I played not to lose" at rhe PGA "in going to play to win"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭bren2001

Flag hunting and he loses by a lot more in my eyes. It was the US Open not the PGA or the Masters. The pins were not gettable. When he did attack, it didn't work out for him.

His strategy didn't work out in the end. It was unlucky. Its easy to say now he should have attacked. If he did and tumbled down the leaderboard people would say he bottled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭techdiver

The course was a completely different beast between the time Fleetwood was out and the leaders. The greens dried out, the wind picked up. It's not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Absolutely, plus tbh I think his strategy did work out, it was just execution slightly let him down on ~ 3 instances i.e @ the 8th, 14th & around the turn when he was putting for birdie & Clark, the eventual winner, was putting for par, a potential 2 shot swing that lead to both scoring pars. He only needed 2 of those instances cto drop right for him & he's champion. They didn't, so execution cost him the win on ~2 shots /200, I.e. his execution was ~1% off on the greens in the final 2 days , and that was the difference!! Not much, but enough unfortunately...... and it is a work on.

P.s. However, Rory was much, much better than world no 1, Scheffler , multiple major winner Koepka, last round leader Fowler, major winner Cameron Smith and every other golfer out there. He's now getting tantalising close to winning another raft of majors imho, cos he's that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm no golfer but it seemed clear to me that it wasn't a day for gung ho golf, but rather a day where inches was going to be the difference between winning and losing.

Yes a few lads picked up low scores but look where they were coming from? From way back in the pack so they could just throw caution to the wind and see what happened. Fleetwood and Smith got low scores but look at Fowler and Schauffele getting burned badly, and when you see how many bogies hit by the top ten it seems clear that taking chances was just as likely to destroy your chances as to make them.

Don't forget that Clark was playing exactly the same way and it got him the win, a few inches on one or two putts and it would be McIlroy holding the trophy. Thats how it goes sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

Scheffler’s swing and footwork looked very rough yesterday. I wouldn’t be surprised if he dropped back down the rankings a bit over time. So much can go wrong in that swing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Of the last 4 groupings out, the best score was 70 which is what Rory shot; made 2 mistakes which were on the 8th and 14th. Otherwise it was close to a perfect round with no luck on some of the longer putts. If he birdied the 8th, the pressure would have been applied earlier to Clark and he may not have got it up and down on the 9th & 11th, the 3 putt on 8th for me was his big error.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Totally agree that the 3 putt on 8 was the big error. I mean, its hard to criticise a guy who plays mostly close to perfect for 4 days in a US Open, but it just shows that at the highest levels its tiny tiny margins. One bad putt and then a bad wedge on the par 5 later and that's the difference. We'll obviously never know, but I honestly think had he got the birdie on 8 we have a different winner.

At the same time, for some reason it seemed to me on Saturday and Sunday that Clark's name was on the trophy no matter what. Just a pity he's nearly as painful as Cantlay to watch on the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Unfortunately he seemed to be relying on someone else to lose it rather than him grasping the opportunity to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

McIlroy now has 29 Top 10 finishes in majors , a fair achievement all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,526 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is what normally happens in Majors. You keep the pressure on and the other guy cracks. Clark had a three shot lead after fourteen and won by a single stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

His presser was top notch.

"When I do win one it will be all that sweeter"

"I would take 100 of these Sundays if it means I get another Major"

"I'll play traveller's, and I'll play the Scottish open, but my mind is firmly on liverpool"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Hole in one for Rory at the Travelers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

Woeful round by Rory y'day. The hole in one potentially saved him two shots so that his score equated to level par or one under at best. This on a day when so many players shredded a notoriously easy course in benign weather ...the top sixteen on the leaderboard being 99 under par and 91 players breaking par in total.

Plus he chimes in with yet another bogey 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

I wouldn't be getting too worked up about his performance here. It's his 4th week in a row and he must be fairly drained after the US Open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

He's on fire at the moment today - 7 through 12. 7 birdies and no dropped shots (hopefully I don't jinx it)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Found the water at his 17th for double

Jinxed it...

Rory on possible 59 watch? Incredible start

Jinxed it unfortunately....poor 9th hole...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johannmall

I thought he was being honourable by dismissing the money from liv golf , but now he's gonna get his share through the pga ,it's disgusting, I cancelled my sky subscription, they're all money grubbing whores at the end of the day !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He had to chase. Might still get a shot at 2nd/3rd place as he's still giving himself chances

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's been flawless stuff from Bradley.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Scheffler went-5 for the last 6 to back door a top 5. Rory went level for the same 6 holes and finished tied 7th. Just not the finish he wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Musicrules

He's playing really well. Might be better to not win this week and save it for next but his wedges are looking decent. He's -3 after 8 so far today and has missed 4 putts inside 10 feet for birdie. As I said, hopefully they all drop next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,526 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I had the very same thought about winning this week but there's no way he will ever make the decision to back off. A win this week doesn't make it impossible. The fact that next week's course is very similar is a good thing. It's not like the other three majors where you are going to a much more difficult course and often a different grass on the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Yes, no harm in winning I suppose but I hope he has a hot week with the putter next week after being cold today. He could have been miles ahead by now. If he plays like this and has a just above average putting performance, he'll have a great chance at the British Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Doc07

Well Harrington doubled up Irish open and the Open one year. I’d love if he did it next week (well outside of a Harrington miracle which I’d love more )

I watched a few clips on the PGA website, hitting 180m approach to 2 feet. When he’s on form he really is spectacular to watch , like Tiger in his prime but will less grimacing….and the odd missed putt 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If he'd putted half decent he'd be a mile ahead today, he had 11 birdie putts inside 15ft over the first 13 holes, that's exceptional tee to green

Advertisement