Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plight of Bull Calves

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Your article doesn't say what you appear to think you are saying. It does not say that going vegan would be greater at reducing emissions than eliminating flying. It is bringing in other woolly factors such as land use and not explaining how it is weighting such factors and why. It does however note that pasture based beef (such as in Ireland) generates 1/12th of that generated in deforested areas on 1/50th of the land

It also isn't clear what it is presenting and how it is obtaining statistics. It may be be assessing the impact on a global basis of everyone going vegan vs everyone stopping flying. In which case you are including the reduction of billions who live in poverty but might have a cow, but will never be on a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I suppose then maybe cutting down on flying as much as you can and also meat and dairy would be your best bet if concerned with emissions

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Moreover, animal agriculture accounts for up to 18 per cent of global emissions, while aviation accounts for around two per cent.

You are not considering the effect of the billions of people who eat food but will never get near a plane.

I'm sure that if I did a scientific study of the poorest 200m people in India and China, I could legitimately conclude that if they gave up drinking tea that the effect on emissions would be multiples of times greater than if they gave up transatlantic flights. What I couldn't do is extrapolate to conclude that Theolonius Monk would be better off giving up tea in Dublin than jaunts to New York if he wanted to decrease his carbon footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm not sure why everyone's arguing about carbon emissions. The biggest threat to the environment is humans, controlling our numbers would have a greater impact than anything that could be done on a farm.

That's not politically popular though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Not really. You could knock a billion off the population and we'd still be at what we were 10-20 years ago. And we were already

The fact is that by being more efficient with land we can make a huge impact. And nobody want to hear it but factory grown food might be the way forward. It's far less land use. We could re-nature large parts of land that was used for food production. And factory grown foods are getting better. Problem is that if they taste exactly the same or better, people still won't eat them because people want to have what they have now.

Massive depopulation is the only way to lessen climate change if we don't make any other changes and don't want to adjust our lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Do you not think its a very dangerous road to go down? ....food supply ultimately in the hands of large companies/govts rather than some degree of distribution of production.

I would be massively apprehensive, and that's before one gets into what this "food" will be...if its vertical farming, fresh nutritious fruit, veg etc no pesticides perhaps....if its hyper processed muck, not so much...I wouldn't trust them not to produce shite and I'd trust a large percentage of people even less not to gobble it up at the lowest price.....just look at the morons that horse "diet" soft drinks into them laced with **** aspartame...

Perhaps I'm paranoid but I'd be deeply afraid of the likes of Nestle, Mondelez, Cargill, Heinz Kraft and Tyson monopolising the supply of food, and dont tell me they wouldnt try..I could see the fuckers trying to make it so people wouldn't be allowed grow their own food eventually....massive companies like this have more sway than Govts now and use every means at their disposal to ensure their survival while they try to eat their competitors lunches...no pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Vertical farming isn't without issues either. I'm not a million miles from a place that grows herbs and things in water and some chemicals in a purpose built tunnel. They were doing grand but the energy price rises has them closed down temporarily (or so they say) after the purchasers of what they grew wouldn't up the price to them to cover the rise in energy costs. Once again, the primary producer screwed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It’s very telling that farmers on this thread highlighted the government intervention into their sector that caused this and RTE didn’t investigate that as the cause of this situation. They were very fast to distance the staff in RTE from the management but didn’t give the same consideration to farmers being tarred by this horrendous behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I meant depopulation when I said control our numbers.

I'm not convinced about factory grown foods being a substitute for natural food at all, how would we know what we're eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,602 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was this not filmed 2 years ago and supposed to air during covid but they waited until now to show it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

unless you only eat whole foods and no processed stuff, which is unlikely, you don't really know what you're eating anyway! remember horsemeatgate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

They were in bandon in April of this year anyway filming .that was when you're man told the Dutch crew to feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Massive depopulation is on the way anyway. World population will peak at about 8.8billon around 2050 before declining rapidly.

Most of the world except sub Saharan Africa is below the tipping point replacement rate.

I'm not quite sure below know what they are wishing for; depopulation will mean a disproportionate amount of old people working late into life with very few young people around to provide services, near empty schools etc.

But hey it good for the environment 🥺

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/27/world-population-bomb-may-never-go-off-as-feared-finds-study

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bayer the chemical company has stated it's aims to define what Regenerative Agriculture is and how it's operated.

For anyone unsure what Regen Agriculture is. It's a farmer led movement that originated in the heart of the US, spread to Australia and then the rest of the world. It's aims are to optimize not to kill biology in farming. It does so by reducing tillage, reducing pesticide, herbicide use, incorporating livestock use, building soil carbon, using biochar, balancing soil minerals to reduce nitrogen usage, optimizing nutrient content in produce, using diverse crops and companion cropping.

Basically all to help the farmers bank balance, improve soil health with reduced inputs, and producing better produce.

Now Bayer has sniffed the wind and decided they need to take control and redefine what this all is. All this now after farmers doing all this for the last 30 - 40 years with numerous books published on the subject by farmers for farmers.

Yep...they always find a way to co-opt/bastardise anything that might be a threat to them and ultimately ensure their own survival ... its sickening really...it very much acts against the interest of our species as a whole when companies get to those kind of levels.

The severe drawbacks should be discussed side by side with the efficiencies of scale when it comes to very large companies.

Post edited by amacca on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭standardg60

One thing that annoys me is this constant assertion that farmers are price takers.

Surely it is a farmer who takes a price in the first place, whether that be at auction or a pre agreed contract, which sets the price for everyone else?

What does clogging up traffic protesting against the Government achieve?

This is an in-house issue as seen on the udder thread, responsible farmers will care for their animals, but they're up against those who see it as purely business.

price-taker

nounECONOMICS

noun: price-taker; plural noun: price-takers a company or individual that must accept the prevailing prices in the market of its products, its own transactions being unable to affect the market price.

Expecting individual farmers to band together in large enough numbers and somehow control/affect the market so a fair return is given that reflects the costs of production and the investment of time and resources to achieve said production not to mention a margin on top for risk is somewhat unrealistic...they wouldnt be let anyway I suspect...like I said every other entity that is involved in the chain has their margin protected except the producer.

Perhaps if enough banded together and withheld supply it might have an effect but they'd need to go without income for quite some time to achieve anything....and some groups have tried to no avail (it wasn't very well thought out admittedly) ....they were undercut by others deciding to sell anyway....in the case of beef ...you have invested money in feeding coming up to a finish (in the multiples of hundreds per animal) and see that having to continue while the value of the animal declines as it approaches a spurious age limit where its automatically devalued all the while with no income coming in...how long can you hold out realistically while you watch your livelihood circle the drain?....one would need to have a lot of faith in ones fellow man and yyou would also be thinking of replacements you have to purchase by a certain time limit or have no income source next year...its the same story with a lot of production tbh

The rest of the industry has the primary producer by the balls and they know it and get better at using that leverage and influence as time progresses ..over time they work as an organised group towards exerting more and more control on the supply (a disjointed disparate disorganised group of individuals in wildly varying circumstances) and extracting higher and higher amounts of profits and moving the value up the chain away from the people that spend the longest amount of time, invest the mmost in the individual animal and carry the greatest risk. So it may annoy you that people assert farmers are price takers but that does not make it any less true.

They are about the clearest examples of price takers I can think of as are most primary producers the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭standardg60

I agree with all of that but you have a powerful representative body and a dedicated minister.

What gives that you end up in such a predicament if it's not of your own doing?

That representative body doesn't represent me and hasn't for a very long time.....they haven't been all bad but farmers are a very disparate group ... we are not unified and are unlikely to be is definitely one thing that gives

You have full time farmers on varying acreages

You have part time farmers

You have young and old farmers with very different outlooks and priorities and wisdom and lack thereof (the wisdom is not all with the older heads)

You have guys on huge acreages with massive payments doing well and you have guys on massive payments just keeping their heads above water due to bad decisions (or luck in some cases)

You have very large dairy farmers in a company structure with thousands of acres and hundreds of cows under them and the ear of the guys that have the ear of the minister

You have lads with a hundred acres and 20 cattle farming extensively and another lad with 40 acres doing traditional breeds and market gardening.

You have a lad with 5 acres and a shed used for finishing cattle with a capacity of 500 head and a factory contract

You have a lad that has 1000 acres on mountain somewhere in the arsehole of sligo lucky to be able to run a couple of hundred sheep....

Which reminds me you have sheep farmers and mixed farmers and tillage farmers and dairy + beef and tillage with a bit of contracting and goat milkers and every other thing in between

You have a farm that is just a factory feedllot that is there to suppress prices by ensuring supply

Then you have the jobbers and lifestyle boys etc etc...

.its Nigh on impossible for one group to represent farmers interests as farmers aren't one group....the more farmers are in a group the less anyones interests will be represented properly and the more fragmented the representative groups are the less **** use their representation will be.

As for a dedicated minister ...forgive me for being a cynic but most ministers primary concern is themselves...and I'm not criticising them for that..that again is a systemic issue....and in fairness to the current minister maybe he is doing his best...he's been less damaging for agriculture than the last 3 or 4 ministers for education have been for education (leaving out Joe mc Hugh...he didn't get enough time to have a fair crack at making an even bigger balls of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Could you explain how a farmer can dictate the price they receive? Lets say I've 20 head of cattle to sell tomorrow. How can I decide a price and get it? Replace cattle with sheep. Or pigs. Or milk too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Is it even legal to band together to drive up the price for consumers? I mean this is not legal for companies, price fixing etc.

There was a farmer spokesman on the news years ago saying a steak should be twenty euro, this is the other extreme, price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

We eat loads of "unnatural" stuff already. I guess we'd just look at the labels, the same way we do now. And have plenty of standards and inspections.

BTW, full disclaimer, I love meat and hate vegetables. I really hate vegetables. So when I say we need to eat less meat, I'm one of the people that would actually be most affected. I was actually vegetarian for a while. My intake of vegetables increased massively but was still less than the average person. :D

What I ate was a lot of pasta and rice dishes. And quorn. I found quorn hit and miss. Some is just as good as meat. The mince was a bit softer than beef but I only noticed that the first time I ate it. After that I was fine with it. Even after I started eating meat again I still bought the quorn mince because it's easier to cook with, tastes just as good, and is cheaper and healthier. The chicken stuff they have isn't exactly like chicken but tastes close enough and is nice enough that it's enjoyable. The rashers are absolutely horrible and taste like salty cardboard.

The point is though, quorn is factory made from a type of fungus. And it's been with us for years. It's perfectly safe. I can see more and more factory food being made. It's healthier, relatively cheap and with more competition on the market should get better and better.

I'll leave with this. In france a chef went vegan. He spent years developing a vegan croissant that was just as good. When people eat them they think they're regular croissants, and delicious, but the only way he could get people to eat them was to not use the word vegan.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/jul/15/croissants-are-moving-on-the-vegan-chefs-reinventing-french-patisserie

Advertisement