Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Politicians and other public figures need extra protection from weirdos.

Options
  • 14-07-2023 1:00pm

Yet another disturbing video emerged this week of some angry oddball attempting to intimidate Holly Cairns.

People have published the home address of Leo Varadkar, protested outside the house of Simon Donnelly, and only yesterday Paddy Cosgrave published the address of Doireann Garrihty. Some of his malcontent supporters then published a photo of her house?

Do public figures now need extra protection from these weirdos? It seems to have moved from just online stalking and obsession to real world intimidation.

What we don’t want is some Irish Raoul Moat going postal. We have incredible access to our politicians and public figure here and they are as entitled to down time and a private life as anyone else.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,867 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Here in the UK, we've seen two MPs murdered in the past decade - Jo Cox and David Amess. We also have good access to MPs here and it'd be really sad to lose that. However, I do think MPs should have access to better security given the rise in online and real life hatred.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Jill Dando ajournalist covering then Serbian atrocities was murdered in 1998.

No suspect found not to mind charged

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This scheme already exists and more may be needed.

It's part of the price for democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Instead of more protection for politicians make publishing personal details a criminal offence with massive fines and enforce this law. It's not just politicians getting their personal details published.

People are entitled to protest but it should be illegal near homes and businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What I find funny is the total… €5,000. A real plucked out of the ether, randomly even number.

” a study showed the average personal security expense related towards TDs is 4370 euros…”

“ jaysus nearly 5 grand, sure give the 5 , even it up and say no more about it, keeps the maths simple and sure my calculator is broken anyway “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

One thing that should be instantly done is to remove election candidate's home addresses from the election ballots (which they are currently mandated to be on). I believe this is the main source for these weirdos finding out exactly where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think 220 senators and TDs ballpark.

so that’s well over one million euros. 1.1 million euros. I’m sure any poor sod on a hospital waiting list will be thrilled with it.

They accepted the jobs with no CCTV payment so….

Helen McEntee’s father committed suicide partly because of the abuse he received online.

Stephen Donnelly spoke only today about the abuse politicians from across the spectrum are now receiving from increasingly menacing anonymous cowards.

A TD makes a decent living but there’s far easier ways make 110k per year that doesn’t involve the long hours and having to face this sustained abuse.

It’s time we as a society faced up to this coarsening of public discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The abuse has got so toxic from a small minority its only a matter of time before someone murders a politician in Ireland.

We are in a situation where an attack is likely to happen probably due to stochastic terrorism.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah sure, they can have all the extra protection they want.

And they can pay for it themselves.

Just like I had to pay for it, when my local Garda station was shut down.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...sounds like we were right to shift cosgrave off to other shores, what a fcuking arsehole!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,355 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TLDR yes. John Hinkley Jr 1981's attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan because he was obsessed with Jodie Foster:

I’m not sure what the attempted assassination of Reagan in the United States in 1981, a pre internet world, has to do with the topic being discussed, but thanks I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,867 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I fear this as well. Someone I know used to work for what was once Telecom Éireann and I'm grateful that they stopped before covid and a certain activist started spewing poison.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,355 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're most welcome! I cannot imagine why anyone would think people have become less of "weirdos" since 1981, especially because of the Internet World. Your OP regards "online stalking and obsession to real world intimidation."

If the recency of the danger is a concern, here's one from this month:

Another user, 1st reply, also provided recent examples from the UK but this didn't seem to warrant such a pithy dismissal from you. Dunno why. Is there something contentious about pointing out there is a long, bloodied history of weirdos attacking politicians, and yes public figures should take extra security precautions any average citizen or person would not attract the risk of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's not just happening outside Government buildings, we all witnessed the harassment of a female Senator by 3/4 other female Senators just last year, I never witnessed anything like it, no consequences for those abusers it must be noticed.

Unfortunately, I suspect it will get worse, and it is a sad indictment of our times, the political turbulence that we have been witnessing in other countries is starting to manifest itself here.

But the politicians have to ask themselves some hard questions because calling elements of the electorate racist/homophobes/misogynist/ white men etc etc will be applauded by some but it ain't gonna cut with a growing number of people who have been subjected to

A shambolic health system, with no end in sight.

A decade-long housing crisis, with no end in sight.

An open border policy, which exacerbates the above.

The inflation crisis.

A mountain of extremely influential and tax payer funded NGOs that are not accountable to any body.

Heavy-handed prolonged lockdown policies.

An unexplained and ignored surge in excess deaths since the lock downs.

The cost to individuals and households of Net Zero policies.

And that is before we get into the growing list of topics we aren't allowed to discuss!!

They should probably start by promoting the most competent politicians to the Cabinet and not promoting them on the basis of geography and genitals. It's no accident the weakest Ministers are the Ministers selected on the above basis! And get rid of Harris, no person without any life experience outside of the Dail should be in Cabinet...he's an emotional wreck of a man most of the time anyway.

Post edited by Silentcorner on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,362 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A fair few of the constant rereg CA/IMHO posters will be popping on to say no because they have wet dreams about "eliminating" TDs

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

I’m not advocating for harassment of politicians or other public figures but it is time that politicians stopped treating the public as fools .

Is this the same Holly Cairns that got ten minutes on Prime Time last night to give her views on the dairy bull calf controversy ? Her views were the only ones aired.I didn’t see anyone else on the panel . Why was that ?

When you engage in ,and are facilitated in this manner and have prime time slots at your sole disposal to further your agenda above all else,how do you think any ordinary person can get their views expressed ?

Victim-blaming. It's never far away.

Mad how you defend an incredibly abusive bully Senator - talk about how we should have less abuse then abuse Minister Harris

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I'm "abusing" Minister Harris!!

Senator Keoghan was the incredibly abusive bully in the Seanad?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sharon-keogan-resigns-from-committee-i-no-longer-feel-safe-1.4863531 She stepped down from a committee because she no longer felt safe.

I'll let normal people make up their own mind who was being bullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

Helen McEntee's father? Really? I get that she might be incorrectly wanting to blame anyone else for that, but not sure why anyone else would [apart from the obvious].

How about the thousands that commit suicide because of the greed of politicians, the corruption that can force people out of business and so much more. Helen McEntee's father indeed.

If politicians want more security, then by all means pay for it out of their overpaid salaries. Leo for a start could cut off his grubby freeloaders, mainly the ex-chief of his 'strategic communications unit' [what a title] that he keeps bringing back to pay more. That sort of publicity does not really help him to endear himself to the public apart from it being seen as wasteful spending it builds a bigger profile and shows how important he deems his image over everything else.

There is no doubt a growing trend of far right and other groups online, but harsher penatlies or punishments would cut those figures in half or by a quarter. Assuming it was done correctly and not just aimed at name callers.

As for TD's an a far easier way to make a living for the same money, they need qualifications to do that, Most of them are qualified to earn a basic wage plus whatever yearly increases may bring. As for your poor attempt at sensationalism with "sustained abuse", it is hardly that. Not even close.

We as a society need to face up to how corrupt the whole system in Ireland has become, and realise that when they start begging for more money or start looking for extra pay for security or other nonsense departments that we should say no, and stop them from abusing the public money. We have seen it with RTE, ABP, HSE and countless politicians before and now. If you are going to call out the alleged need to step up security [which to my knowledge has not been shown to be violent other than insults and other negative words], then paint the full picture, not just the little bits that suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Seems like yer man had a Twitter spat with Gannon and was asking Holly Cairns about it, I watch the video and she didn't seem too intimidated to me.

Yep

She is a bully. She dogpiled on someone on Twitter last week. Really nasty bully.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

I'm unaware of that incident I'm afraid, I am sorry, I thought you were referring to the incident where she was bullied out of her position on the Childrens committee.

I do accept that female politicians seem to be more vulnerable to bullying and getting dogpiled, but it's normally weak men and "empowered women" who are the most prolific at abusing female politicians.

She's a cruel hateful bully. Her social media accounts show that clearly.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Yeah it'd be a terrible shame if the political class had to come face to face with the anger of the people they consistently f*ck over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

A report from probably the most sensationalist rag to ever have existed. It was not that long ago that they were publishing anti-Irish propaganda, I am not doubting that loon exists, but I would take anything from that rag with a lot of salt.

The second article from April 2022 says

"Garda detectives have been visiting far-right activists in recent months to determine if they pose a threat to Government Ministers and public officials."

"The visits generally take the form of “relatively informal conversations” during which detectives attempt to establish if the individual may pose a threat to public officials, one security source said."

The video in question had a soundbite of a gunshot to signify the video ended, and ended with a bunch of Gardai calling to him and a file sent to the DPP. Do we know if anything happened over a year and a half later? Apart from in May of this year when the TDs received another allowance, of €5000 this time to beef up security.

So in short, a load of noise is made, there are some allegations made and a €5000 bonus payment is made to TDs and now we are asked if they should have even more money for more protection.

No. But if they want it, they should pay for it themselves.

Advertisement