Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

This. Most quotes I'm getting are double the guidance (looking at ~3kW plus ~5kWh battery) - or more! Well up on last year when I was looking as well, despite 0% VAT, robbing gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

Hi Folks,

What's the story with VAT using an SEAI installer.

I know the panels and installation costs are VAT free. Does the installation costs include mounting kits, cable, electrical installation components sich as PV meter, breakers, etc...

What about inverters and batteries, are these subject to VAT??

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

It's everything

"1.1 Ancillary equipment to solar panels

The zero rate applies to ancillary equipment supplied and installed with the solar

panels as part of the same supply and install contract for the solar panels, such as

the wiring, the controller, the combiner box, the batteries, etc."

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Services/solar-panels.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

Thanks deezell, appreciate the response !!

We are not grant eligible - and slight complication with flat seedum roof - and a tall building - but quote has come in for €17k for a 6kwP system with a 5kWh battery which I'm thinking I have to be able to beat?

Actually getting someone out to the house has been very difficult - everyone busy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

That's wayyyyy off. Maybe look at other options. What roof space have you?

Flat roof is fine. I have panels on one myself. But the sedum roof will die if it's covered over. So sounds like that roof is ruled out.

Tall building? 3 storey or what's the style?

East or West or South orientarion will work. Some here have setups on large shed roofs. Or ground mounted if there is a lot of space. Or even mounted on fences at a push.

So gives us more info here and might see if there is another way to crack the design nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭digitalsystem

Hi all, recently became aware of this section of boards and at the stage of finalizing a decision based on a number of quotes I've gotten. I'm leaning towards ground mounting as I have the space to optimize the orientation and angle. Other option is on the roof of the house that is south east / north west facing.

My usage is about 8500 units / year. Smart meter but not a smart plan. From the smart meter, t1 is about 34% of this, t2 is about 56% and t3 is 10%. (assuming t1 is night time but not 100%)

The quote I'm leaning towards is for 9kw of solar panels ground mounted with 5.2kwh battery. The cost I believe I can negotiate to a number that I can live with (and is within the range on David Hunt calculator)

I'm not sure if this is overkill for my usage. Is there any advice people could give me on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

"I'm not sure if this is overkill for my usage. Is there any advice people could give me on this?"

the more panels the better. it'll only be in he summer where it could be considered overkill but in the darkest months your array won't produce enough power to cover your needs. the overkill argument is also weakened by the existence of FIT.

I'm about to embark on a similar install, an 8kW array with a 5kW hybrid inverter. The budget may not stretch to a battery but the hybrid is there whenever the budget does stretch.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

You’re using 23kWh per day on average. 9kWp isn’t overkill. 5.2kWh battery will leave you wanting if you’re seriously considering that you can avoid all peak period usage.

I did my own ground mount system and found that the David hunt calc was way off as it wasn’t taking into consideration the ground works; concrete footings; conduits; etc…

what’s the number you’ve been quoted? Is it all inclusive?

Understand the ranges on David Hunt calculator are not including any groundworks for ground mounted.

Price I have is ex any groundworks, ducting etc that needs to be laid. I have a neighbour that I can use for the ground works

After grant, price is 13k so thinking will get it all done for 14k

• Advertisement

How far are the panels from the house? Which ground mount are they proposing? I used one from Clenergy.

You’re doing better than me (7.5kwp / 10kWh battery. Huawei gear.):

Haven't agreed a final position yet but would be about 20m from ESB meter. Will look to finalize things next week.

System is Solis inverter, Weco battery and 22*jinko panels. Don't know about the ground mount system yet so can't comment on that. Have you had yours in long? I see swings etc.. in the picture, are the panels child proof!?

Cable between my panels and the inverter is about 50M. I had an additional meter box installed on the external wall for the DC isolation switches.

Ask about the ground mount system. Are you sure this is included? Some of them are not great in my opinion. Some use Van der valk flat roof mount system which takes too big a footprint and the panels are too low to the ground. There is another system From GSE that only allows one panel high (https://www.gseintegration.com/fr/solutions/gse-ground-system/).

I don’t think anything is child proof; but she’s only 18 months; so it will be a while before she tests the panels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GReid2005

Went back and forth with the 2 companies and finally went firm with 1 today. 11.76KW array with 28 x 420watt Bifacial panels, Sungrow SH5.0RS Hybrid Inverter and 6.4KW Battery for 15595Euro after grant but no BER included.

When I started looking into solar I registered my interest on several providers sites and gave my details to about six companies at the Ideal Home Show. The sites I registered with sent on generic quotes, when I replied saying that there was a specific inverter and battery system I wanted only one engaged with me. Only one company from the Ideal Home Show touched base with us so in the end we had 2 companies quoting with the specific equipment inverter we wanted. Suppliers seemed reluctant to engage, think it was because I was looking for something they hadnt used before. Hopefully the install goes well and the inverter lives up to expectations.

I regret not getting bi facial panels for my ground mount system. The sun is directly behind them in the evenings.

Are yours also ground mount?

why did you want that inverter specifically?

No mine will be roof mounted. I went for the Sungrow because of its oversize capacity,it has a 240% capacity so it can handle 12Kw of DC. So if it works as described then it could handle converting 5Kw into AC to cover our use and divert up to 7KW DC into the battery at the same time if I was producing 12KW. There are DC coupled home EV chargers being launched next year (Entelligent and SolarEdge) so the inverter can divert DC to the charger while covering the AC demands of the house. The inverter also has built in blackout cover which is classed as UPS as opposed to EPS due to it only taking 20 milliseconds to kick in.

When I get EWI I'll be looking at a DC coupled Heat Pump, so in theory if i have a DC coupled charger and heat pump I can run these without affecting the AC required for the house. All the literature I've read and reviews I've watched said this is how it operates and have been very complimentary on its abilities and relaibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Will you get any benefit from bi facial on a roof mount? Usually only used on ground mounts afaik.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

You’re slightly above the 600V MPPT max voltage limit of that inverter with 14 panels per string; and a fair bit above the operational max of 560v. But perhaps you’re already fully aware of this.

Yeah I was aware of the 600v limit, I thought I must of been missing something when I multiplied the voltage of the panels by the number of panels and it exceeded it, but I was told by the electrician it was within limits when they modelled it. Took him at face value as he's the expert should I look query it again?

No you had it spot on. Max panel output voltage * number of panels in the string.

I didn’t know exactly which panel you had; but I guessed 43.5v per panel.

your immediately gonna be out of warranty if you knowingly exceed the max MPPT input voltage. You will be out of luck if you try to claim on the warranty. If the installer is willing to stand over this it’s fine; but I would get that confirmed in advance.

personally I would email the manufacturer and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

The backup output, blackout cover as you say, is a nice feature where some essential fused circuits on your consumer unit, such as lights, TV and router plugs and maybe some kitchen plugs, and the gas/oil boiler electrics and circulation pumps can be powered from the inverter in the event of a mains power outage. These have to be wired by the electrician onto this output as off grid circuits, seperate from the bulk of circuits which will go dead during an outage. Make sure this extra wiring is included in the installation, as it requires a bit of time, thought and testing to identify those circuits and move them off grid. The inverter has to be configured to allocate the battery power when in off grid mode also, as it would quickly run down after dark during a power cut.

HotSwap and deezell, thanks very much for the info and guidance, it's very much appreciated.

I emailed the company at 8 this morning to clarify the situation, I do remember from when googling the panels that the voltage is in the 30's, 31 or 2 for rated voltage and 36 or 7 for open circuit voltage. Used the bigger number and multiplied by 28 which exceeded the 600 limit of the inverter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The 600v limit is per string not total voltage.

If the panels have an open circuit of about 36/37 it would be that by 14. Not 28.

14 of your panels are well within spec.

Do you have the exact make and model of the panels so we arnt guessing.

Phono Solar 420watt N-Topcon High Efficiency Mono BM6-16B-G Draco Module Series.

It didn't mention per string on the inverters dataset so I took the 600v as total system limit.

They picked this model of panel because they said it was low voltage compared to other brands.

data sheet for your panels: https://www.solartradesales.co.uk/Cache/Downloads/420Watt-DracoSeries-without-Logo.pdf

30.01 V under normal operating conditions so 30x28 is 840v.

My Huawei 6kw has a total system voltage of 600V also. And I have 2 x 9 panel strings which puts me at just under 300V per string:

But it’s a question for the manufacturer really. No point in guessing if it’s per MPPT or system wide.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

With it being able to oversize to 12kwp it has to be 600v per string [per mppt]

As there would be no way with todays panels to stay under the current limits and the voltage limits.

It does require a high voltage battery though (or multiple batteries configured for HV)

Didnt know about bi facial panels. Do you have any idea what the approx cost per panel is for bi facial Vs similar 'normal' panel?

2 stings - each string having 7+7 panels in parallel.

210v per string. 420v total.

the inverter in question can do 16A per string.

• Advertisement

I'm going with Sungrows HV modular battery system, it comes in 3.2kw modules.

Thanks for the PDF HotSwap, I emailed Sungrow directly and attached the PDF.

I hope your right graememk that it's 600, it seems only logical with the points you've made.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement