Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Politicians and other public figures need extra protection from weirdos.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,355 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You said threats haven't been made.

Not true at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

ah i see they have already written themselves a grant for that, ... of course they have.

but yes. i suppose they do need extra protection.

anyone with a political or media profile will have higher 'weirdo in the bushes' odds.

the weirdo odds generally being proportional to the size of the individuals profile.

with anything political getting +5 weirdo points.

if you're a hot looking female politician then its got to be almost a certainty. you may as well just build the semen covered shrine behind your house in advance. just go buy a crucifix and a bucket of jizz before you sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

It starts with "[insert public service] is a scam "

It ends in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Yes

Paddy Cosgrove complains about weirdo's going after him yet is leading a online mob of nut jobs to go after people.

People in Ireland seemed to have seen the nut jobs in America/UK and instead of going "we will never go like that" they have said "oh let's do the exact same as them"

Politicians are voted for. Don't vote for them. Fairly easy way to get them out of office.

You might think a politicians is f**king you over and another is great for you, but guess what, another person down the street will have another opinion so we have a system that is based on the majority.

We now have a load of people who think that the entire government should just make decisions that suit them. Not how it works. If the government is not working for the population they will be voted out. That's how it works.

If we had all the clowns online who are complaining actually voting in an election it would be interesting. Most elections we have millions who never vote

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

It's easy to vote them out? And replace them with who, the shinners or self serving independents? and this "are sure it's not their fault the poor craytures" bootlicker mentality blows my mind.

Ireland has more choice of parties than ever before. Do a little bit of research and you will be surprised what you might find.

"bootlicker mentality " 😂

So many hard people behind anonymous accounts on the internet. You should have a look at the Paddy Cosgrove followers, you would fit right in. Of course you need to create a fake twitter account for that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If you don't like any of the options on the menu you need to get into the kitchen and rustle something up yourself; that's how democracies work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They definitely need more protection.

Lots of weirdos out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

If I could agree with this post any more, I'd pull a muscle.

Giving out about politicians on social media is easy. Every politician I have met (and that's a lot), even the ones who I don't agree with and don't like, work hard. And almost all of them could make the same/better money in the private sector.

Every idiot that harrasses a politician in public makes it less likely that normal, everyday people will ever want to enter politics.

(Also, I dunno if anyone's actually seen Paddy Cosgrave in public recently but he doesn't scratch his arse without two giant bodyguards making sure it's safe, even in the States where no one knows or presumably cares who he is)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Politicians who vote in favour of certain issues (e.g. making people homeless by removing the ban on evictions) deserve abuse. I do not condone physical attacks of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

We've a country full of people who don't bother voting and still think they've a right to an opinion on politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Using that logic, literally everyone who has done something to annoy you deserves to be abused or threatened. A politician, a schoolteacher, a Garda, your GP, a work colleague etc.

Keep in mind though that if you go down that ugly route, it will end up with every second or third person you meet abusing or threatening you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

No I did not. Where are you pulling that from?

Or are you saying that you accusing me of saying that is not true at all. Because that would be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yes we have more choice but whatever choice you pick is a bad choice, you can only hope that the useless person you pick isn't as useless as the other useless people. All abuse towards politicians is wrong but you can understand why so many are angry with Politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Beyond genuine psychos like the jodie Foster thing, I would be quite sure the reason for needed additional protection is the incredibly unpopular direction of the country.

What's new? Why is this needed now, and not before?

Is it a coincidence that it's overlapping at the same time as the "hate" speech bill?

Corruption is rife. RTE being the latest side show. The latest NAMA fiasco. Politicians caught red handed profiting off the housing crisis. Mass migration crisis, healthcare buckling, not enough guards, not enough fooking anything. Yet every decision they make, again and again and again, beggars belief.

But the swine will turn around every second of the day to talk about how much money "we" have.

Yep. These people need protection. And they're the reason they need it.

They better be getting an awful lot of money out of their dealings because life won't be worth living here for them when it all comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

That's actually how democracies do not work. Democracy does not work, but there are no other options at this time - especially none that people are willing to try and I am not sure how we would even go about that, vote? 😂.

As for the abuse. Abuse is not good in any form, whether it is politicians abusing their power or the public moneys, or the public abusing them for doing so. But I think many on this thread need to take a step back. There may be one story there that could be misconstrued as abuse, but the majority of them are at worst, name calling or protesting in what is considered by some, the wrong place at the wrong time. I do not believe throwing more money at them for added security would change either of those things. If anything, it could end up making things a lot worse. One over zealous security person is all it would take. It would not be the first time.

To be clear. We should not be giving them any more money for anything else any more. If they want more shit in their sandwich then let them sacrifice one of their other perks. Or use their own massive salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This probably flew under the radar with all the RTE stuff going on during the week.

From a farmers meeting on the nature restoration initiative

• Advertisement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I was surprised that incident did not result in a prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The address of a politician is on the ballot paper so it's hardly a secret. Maybe one day this will be changed or the address will be party HQ but for now there can be hardly be outrage over publishing the address of a politician. It was themselves who published it first to get on a ballot paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

People will disagree but there was a time in Ireland and everywhere else that absolute dangerous nutters were locked up.

They were'nt locked up because society was cruel. They were locked up for a reason.

Now due to "progress" they are in society - they have access to social media and often get themselves platforms to influence others with psychotic and crazy conspiracy theories.

You see the likes of Gemma and the other woman referenced in the thread and there is so many more - some people think it's all a laugh.

I think these people are seriously mentally disturbed and dangerous.

It won't be a laugh when someone gets murdered off the back of their lunacy.

It shouldn't be on the ballot paper and often a lot of politicians put their office address on the ballot paper so it's actually unfair to new candidates.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Holly Cairns is a fantastic politician. She's smart and a very effective communicator. Unfortunately, she has committed the cardinal sin of being a woman so she will forever be a magnet for abuse from a certain mouth breathing demographic in this country.

Unfortunately Ireland has been infected with a certain brand of loolah in the past decade or so. From Freeman of the land types (e.g Ben Gilroy), to anti-vaccine protestors, to the racist lunatics crying about immigration, politicians wages and TV licences, I really think it's only a matter of time before it turns violent.

I sincerely hope that this never happens. I don't know why it is, perhaps it's because of the Facebook perpetual outrage machine. I think it's time that the Irish education system focuses on media literacy and indoctrinate them in the matters of telling fiction (all the anti-vax, Ryan Tubridy is a psycopath stuff) from fact (Climate Change is real, immigration is good and necessary, Putin is bad).

Paddy Cosgrove complains about weirdo's going after him yet is leading a online mob of nut jobs to go after people.

How Paddy Cosgrave hasn't been prosecuted for inciting lunatics to harass people I'll never know. The man is a mentally ill menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Probably yes but it may also be require for other sectors both private and public. Who also receive abuse on a daily basis.

I would like to see something done about social media accounts tough for starters. They are t0o easy to set up with no ID verifications. These include both right and left wing wind up merchants/excrements.(I don't like using the word weirdo.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Helen McEntee’s father committed suicide partly because of the abuse he received online.

He didn’t?

Shane McEntee died by suicide on 21 December 2012, his death triggering a by-election. His brother, Gerry blamed cyberbullying through social media as a contributing factor in his suicide, and opposition politicians who had criticised him for comments he made about grant cuts to respite care. Fine Gael politician John Farrelly also suggested online abuse as a possible cause, but Helen McEntee has rejected this theory, since she had managed her father's social media presence and was not aware of any issues.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_McEntee

• Advertisement

I must say I did worry for Cairns when she was announced leader of SocDems.

A young woman is a prime target for those feral menaces to society.

Advertisement