Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Roches high fibre high cereal nut for calves at grass is really really good

Aine would of wiped the floor with her …..shame she didn’t get chance to at least debate it with holly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Have rte investigates ever went into what happened in nursing homes and covid outbreaks in the early days where elderly people where left to die with no medical care where the hse refused to go into private nursing homes, it's amazing what gets buried when rte/goverment want it too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Answer to that is No.

There's more money and less work involved changing to refugee accommodation. So that's occurring lately with nursing homes.

Between the dearth left of nursing homes and the one's changed to refugee accommodation. I've a sense theres no will to rock that boat.

Dairy farmers have been meal of the day to attack since I visited my first regen type meeting. It's permeated on and spread with billboards, social media. Now it's acceptable to mainstream. That's how it's started, gradual first then get the farmers themselves to accept that they are doing something wrong. You've vocal dairy farmers themselves now saying live exports are wrong. If it's stopped it's a serious blow to all agriculture in Ireland. We have the land to rear livestock and we need the external markets abroad. Grain farmers are looking at downed crops with the rain. With livestock the grass still grows.

It's all really ridiculous at present. Of course you have the types hoping biogas will solve what they see as a livestock issue. The livestock issue is the Disney attitude that no life should ever be killed. Except of course humans, abortion and assisted suicide. Personally no problem myself with it with caveats. But there's the hypocrisy. Especially when the animals death is bringing benefit to the human. But the biogas is slow to roll out so all this is rolled out ahead atm to now meet emission targets. The boats will be targeted now and this will be used to pressurise. Hopefully they stand firm and see how the welfare was good on their part. All stops be pulled out now to ensure all parts of the journeys are top notch.

On the biogas. Imagine looking to drive into fields now for cuts of multispecies swards. And that's what they want not maize used like Germany. Anyway the increased slurry storage now being demanded will be used for digestate storage if the owners get out of livestock. So win, win. But it's the energy companies dictate the price, contract arrangements, time to the AD plants who dictate to the farmers, landowners. Farmers who give out about Goodman, Tirlan now. Will be giving out about Bord Gais.

Too much rain today. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I see we have a People Before Profit TD telling us today that the recent NDC and Bord Bia promotion of milk on "World Milk Day" (WTF?) was greenwashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Can you not go in heavy with copper supplement for that. It locks the molybdenum up in the rumen and doesn't cause any issues then after. It's when the molybdenum goes into the blood hunting for copper that the issue occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

And having a party in Dublin Castle to celebrate the introduction of the abortion industry into Ireland .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Well now I just saw Holly on the primetime clip and all I ll say is switch is off the sound.but no matter we ll be waiting for you the next election she s in our constituency and all the other dairy farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

C.Daly on one night about fox hunting and how young foxs are ripped and pulled from their homes. Which is fair enough until she was on a few nights later No need to guess what she was shouting that night. Similar to Holly in that regard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭green daries

All very true but nothing to do with my post which was a reply to the suggestion of having a full-time job with 60 cows at home to be looked after as well 🤔 😳.............now thats greed and........**** hardship

What I'm saying is that 60 milking cows is plenty to make a living. The sfp, anc, acres, should bring say 20, let the cow bring in 800 net 48000. Calves, dry cows a few grand that's over 70. Let the wife bring in 20 that's 90.

What I was saying that plenty for the normal guy. But there are lads here who spend that on machinery and gadgets every year

Maby plenty if no family to support ….no mortgage ….no debt etc etc 60 cows would of reared and educated a family once ….not now though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

The social democrats aren’t part of the current government. Who will the the dairy farmers vote for?

I have six children. It's all what your used too. Give up the old cocaine.

There's something wrong if you can't survive on 90000. Give up those "good cows" and get a few handy ones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

You'll see farmer candidates if the derogation is lost. There will be no forgivness of government TD's in Cork if thngs go tits up. Be assured, the TD's know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a decent living off anything over about 50 cows where you are not stocked much above 200kgsN/HA. With numbers like that you can have attention to detail.

A farmer able to push over the 6K litres without going into band 3. No fancy toys no LC fairly decent tractor. Able to write down tax against the spouse that is working car expenses, not in a company set up, as kids hit 14-15 use them to shelter such income. Knew if one family where this happened and the cash was withdrawn every week to do the shopping.

At 60-70 cows you are starting to hit the comfort zone if the spouse has a decent job. The farmer not ran off there feet so able to do the school runs.

If they have the leeway to to maximize calf and cull value a bit this helps as well.

Slava Ukrainii

Would you think they'll get anywhere near enough votes if they do materialise? Beyond dairy farmers I'm not sure if anyone really cares about the derogation going. A few Matty McGrath's extra won't change the course that all the parties are likely to go.

Ifs …buts …navy’s ….tgeres always mantinance around farm ..unforeseens ….contractors doing lots work which needs income generated to do so …50/60 cows on your scenario above with high 50s base Yeadh ….same scenario at current price and costs and throw in mortgage ,farm debt and any legacy payments to family etc no chance ….I say this as someone with a modest farm just under 100 cows …have debt ..have legacy payments ..mortgage and kids and wife who works ….don’t have a very extravagant life but happy enough ……I’m lucky in that most farm debt nearly done if starting again now with current legislation etc and money I’d have to spend to comply couldn’t do it …reality

What does a typical 60 cow farm in derogation, with maybe 70 owned acres do, rambling on about acres payments cherry-picking the perfect farm scenarios for your above examples its right out of the teagasc playbook

• Advertisement

Mist of these farms are not in the hot dairy area's of Cork or the East coast. The still have access rental land at 200-250 /acre There was a rental standoff locally between a dairy farmer and the land owner he was renting 30-40 acres near him from.

He had been paying 180/ acre, land owner wanted 400. The Dairy farmer got it in the end for 250 according to the PRA I was told. If he was renewing the lease now it would be back nearer 200/acre as heat has gone out of the market locally over the last three months.

Locally most of the dairy farmers are at about a cow to 1.5 acres between owned and rented. Yes there is a few dairy only with all calves sold. Cow numbers are from about 50 up.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

You've nailed many a scenario there. This is half the dairy farmers in the country. 70 acres owned and no chance of holding onto rented ground, no chance of rearing replacements in future, no chance of running a reserve for repairs and maintainence, upgrading machinery, pulling through a TB breakdown etc..

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story, alot of expanded farms where scenarios where father/son/daughter operations needed to go from 80 cows to 140 plus to generate two incomes, and ground was rented, our existing ground used to facilitate this, harping on now that these farms will be grand going back to 70-80 cows when two incomes are needed is bulls**t to put it mildly....

Combine this with a lot of these farms maybe having been getting a nice tidy sfp of 30k plus a year, now looking at under 20k and sliding to closer 15k by 2025 its a perfect storm

Some would, and why would you predetermine them as Matty McGrath's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

Locally most of the dairy farmers are at about a cow to 1.5 acres between owned and rented. Yes there is a few dairy only with all calves sold. Cow numbers are from about 50 up.

That would be the case locally here too and quite representative. It seems to be more the lads up the country and further east that lost the head altogether.

You could give some lads 200 cows and they couldn't live off them. That was always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

That "generate two incomes" was a teagasc/IFJ stunt just like "build up the cow numbers and the facilities can follow later".

In what way, alot of new entrants around here that would of been good sized beef holdings that have been switched to dairying with it been a father/son venture, with two wages been taken from the farm, before that it was the father working away with the son helping part-time outside of his previous job, one man units are fine in theory but you really do become a slave to the place, and theirs always the fear of a accident putting you out of action, which leaves you seriously exposed re day to day running of farm

Was this not the whole Greenfields scenario along with rental land. Outwintering pad ( then changed to cubicles) roofed open parlour (worked a treat with the beast from the east), no meal feeding. As George Best was told ''where did it all go wrong''.

IFJ were definately prompting it. There was a lad from Galway with 130+ cows on it 8-10 years ago and a couple lads from Cork. We discussed it on this forum 5+ years ago.

10 years ago the labour solution for second and third units was an Eastern European couple given accommodation in an house and paid minimum wage to manage the 48 hour week rule. The theory was the male would do most of the work but his spouses hours would cover the legal requirements. We had lads trying to justify at the time charging them 800/month rental for the house as it was 3-4 bedroom house( which they really did not need)

The upshot was when most learned a bit of English they found work elsewhere.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Very hard to see how they pull in a wider vote without being a similar type politician. All of the main parties will go along with this.

Dairy farmers are very much in the minority. In order to get non dairy farmers to vote for them, what will the pro derogation TD offer to the wider audience? And where are they now?

Advertisement