Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

The man was asking about working full-time or could you stay at home on sixty cows.

I didn't know he lost all leave of his faculties when quota's went and is overstocked and overpaying for rented land. (He may own what he has and is running a proper farm).

How would any normal household live on a wage say a council worker on 45000. When some People here can't rear a family on 90000. People have to watch there out goings that's all I was saying

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Father and son operation are flawed concepts. What happens when the father hits late 60's and wants to step back.

There tends to be a generational length heading to 30+ years now. The father+son operation are dependent of grand child falling in when they hits late teens with generational length that is in place now.

There is one such operation locally where the father is now milking nearly 300 cows by himself at present less than 20 miles from me, he is over sixty years of age.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Already am, between cosecure, blocks, dry cow minerals, extra protected minerals in the meal, the above works okay once molybdenum levels are under 3 mg/kg, and iron levels are low but when your dealing with this stuff it's just damage limitation only I have maize to dilute the 1st cut with for the winter I'd be screwed

On the above sample copper to molybdenum ratio is around 1.5 like i said its poison

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I'm told she hasn't a hope of getting re elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

As I've said previously, the whole industry is built on slave labour. There is no easy way. Father and son only last so long unfortunately.

I was in a partnership with my parents for a while but my parents were only half committed to be honest. The tax consultants and solicitors were the only people that benefitted from it.

There is 80 to 100 hours a week work on most farms. That's 2 labour units and if that can't be paid then it is unviable without a bit of slavery. That's farming...

• Advertisement

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I think it's interesting that almost all the people I've heard going on about how they're going to go to the wall if they're forced to cut cow numbers almost always have brand new tractors in the yard

Been put out of a 65 acre block here of wet Midlands ground at the foot of the slieve blooms by a tillage man, he's apparently giving 370 a acre and giving all the sfp back, space for nature on this block is 20% too so farmable ground is nearer 50 acres, was giving 220 a acre for 2 cuts of silage, no maps etc....

Your really taking the piss now 200/ha give over

That should all have been in acres it was a missprint

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Yes.

Half the lies aren't true you know.

Years upon years of hearsay..

The Irish ingrained mentality towards rules is "how do I get around that".

Years of evolution of this repetitive mantra manifests on line with everything being the fault of everyone else's advise.

You won't find a single document advising farmers to expand without facilities. Woodchip pads we're considered a viable option which worked as a viable holding tactic to get in place another option, but in no case was contradiction of regulation ever put forward.

Any farmers I know that expanded did so in line with much if not most of teagasc advise. They have built serious businesses, making eyewatering profits and will steer through any upcoming regulation changes with ease such is their financial strength.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

But wasn't that the message that was missed by lads with greenfield et al.the return s did justify the investment required and was amplified by the length of the leases so you couldn't make the figures for large capital investment work.you have often alluded to the seemingly large gross margin that exists in milking cows whereas it s the level of constant capital investment that destroys the actual profit.you re not the only one that makes this mistake a huge amount of dairy farmers themselves fall into this trap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Re Greenfield: I was talking to a man only last night who said he drew 20 in-calf cows away from the place before an open day a few years back. They were pushing the 90% calved in 6 weeks line and nothing calving after the 1st week of April.

Problem was the open day was early April and they had 20 left to calf.

Maybe the man was flogging me lies but he said they shipped back in 20 cows with calves to make sure the numbers added up. And the open day went ahead with the most perfect operation ever being shown to farmers.

I want to believe this is only an oul story but was Greenfields this type of operation?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

There shouldn’t be such a big need to generate 2 incomes from what was originally a 70-80 cow herd in your example above.

The biggest problem is a lot of the fathers in them set ups don’t want to let go of the reins. I see it here locally and with customers of mine, a father in his 70’s and son in his late 30’s or 40’s and the fathers name is still on the chequebook. The same father whose name was on the chequebook 40 plus years ago when his father handed him the farm in his late 20’s or 30’s with the difference being his father handed it over entirely and stepped back.

These lads need to realise that if they can’t give the next generation full control and sign the place over when they’re in their 30’s then all they’re doing is holding them and the farm back. In most of these scenarios there’s 2 pensions coming in to the house so they shouldn’t need money from the farm as it’s highly unlikely there’s still a mortgage or family being reared in the house so just hand it over and step back. There’s no tow bar on a hearse so let the next generation have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

But the problem is that is an outdated summary for finincial details on a dairy farm ,costs have balooned and margin has declined .Any call out breakdown repair nowadays is 1k at least .I have milked 50 /40 acres on my own with the last 18 years ,rented land cost has doubled or more ,how many dairy farmers get 20 k from grants not to mind draw acres .I dont care because I have my money made and did not re invest inside the farm gate 'thank god' .Like the most sucessfull business man locally says he cannot understand 'farmers spending money to make more hardship'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

I agree 100%. I am 42 and the youngsters are 13 and 15. If they are interested and capable I'll be leaving it to them when I'm about 57. I work part time off farm and that is easily expandable to full time by writing 1 email. At that stage they will be 28 and 30 so I'll be happy enough with a part time income and herself on the same. How much would it take to keep the 2 of us going in a mortgage free house with no dependents?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Soil type is very different here so it's less complicated to fix.

If it's protected copper that you're giving it's not doing what you want. The goal has to be to get the mo tied up with copper in the rumen, otherwise it goes into the blood and binds to copper in enzymes etc making them useless. That's where the issues start. If you can get it neutralised in the rumen then it's fairly inert.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

disgraceful behaviour from rte. but then what would you expect from a corrupt organisation. any investigation will only scratch the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Is the ph very high in the ground that’s from ?

They have built serious businesses, making eyewatering profits and will steer through any upcoming regulation changes with ease such is their financial strength.

Thats good to hear. No problems so.

• Advertisement

No purposely kept low, I spread one bag of physioloth yearly on it purely to have lime at the roots, last year silage of this ground was perfect iron levels and molydenium where barley registering but this year with the wet April and a high water table it boiled up in the ground again

I'm the same as that. If you haven't enough money made by 60 you will never have enough. If my young lads don't want it, hopefully there will be a good leasing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Saw elsewhere she might be running in a different constituency, think she knows her days are numbered where she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Did Tim Cullinan offer to go on Primetime?

Surely he could have talked very knowledgeably on the issue?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Working on the basis of me handing over in less than 10 years with the lads at max 27 and 28 and me early 60 s.the plan was I would milk the morning in one place and the evening in the other and give them a chance to work and bring in cash but that s a very loose plan.i would like them to have a nice bit of debt in their early 20 s to keep them grounded but we ll see how things go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Not a bad idea, at least ur around to keep an eye when I took over when I was 24 I made alot if mistakes due to no.one around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Nothing wrong in making mistakes as long as ya learn from it. A lot of lads aren't allowed make mistakes by being hamstrung by the parent still holding the reigns

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Was putting the world to right with a neighbour this morning and average herd size came up.

I think quoting an “average” is rarely useful in any walk of life so I looked up the spread/distribution and found this article on Agriland with figures from March 2022: https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/average-dairy-and-suckler-herd-sizes-for-2022-revealed/

Screenshot below. You wouldn’t think it to look at any IFJ/Teagasc PR but around 11,000 herds have between 50 and 200 cows, nearly 10 times more than the herds of 200+

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

There ye go now lads. Mattie has the answer.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02iZT9yzwxRh7gkjye6vZAv2bEbdsZgKmZQUfe9G1fvzbNba4K4brgSYvytdHL2pJ9l&id=100009230015427&sfnsn=wa

Advertisement