Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Todd Andrews resigned from the RTE Authority in 1970. Ryan Tubridy was born in 1973.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not sure if mentioned already but interesting side angle on Breda O'Keefe's 'exit package' in an RTE article this morning. This rests on whether her role was made redundant and suppressed or not. If this was a true redundancy and job suppressed, then apparently she is eligible for up to a whopping €200,000 tax free as part of redundancy.

So you see a little red flag here, from her and others perspectives - an exit package where role is being discontinued is far, far better from a personal taxation point of view than if the person simply leaves and a new person hired. There is potential for tax avoidance here, not saying that's what has happened but clearly a possibility.

Add to this, the apparent free use of a company car or cars to staff - scope for avoidance of tax.

Bartering in essence as an activity usually involves a loss of tax revenue as no money changes hands.

Hmm.......... very hard to avoid the conclusion that there have been / are financial shenanigans going on in parts of this organisation. Whether these have involved tax avoidance or tax evasion will come down to investigations and Revenue I guess. But RTE's moral position to seek additional funding and keeping so called stars on high fees is pretty shoddy.

David Andrews was the more prominent of the two uncles. If your thesis held true, surely his son, the infinitely more talented David McSavage, would have progressed up the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

:-)

I didn't say anything about Tubs and VAT. I didn't say anything about the Garda after Tubs.

What is news to people, is Tubs claimed to have taken a pay cut and RTE reported it as such. But in fact he was getting back payment via a dodgy barter account under false invoices so it wouldn't be reported

After that initial story all the other dodgy deals in RTE have taken over as well, the bus to croker, the junkets, redundancy packages etc etc

As you said "Why are you commenting so much on story you don't know anything about? "

Noel Kelly in the meeting said it was 0% and one of panel confirmed it should have been 23% and from recollection he agreed if it was invoiced in Ireland.

So based on that VAT was not paid correctly on it. Now that doesn't seem to be the reason why they used the barter account, that was used to hide the payment but it did mean they incorrectly paid VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Tow

There is a self proclaimed Revenue employee on this thread, so we know the tax man is taking an interest.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

He most certainly died a death in 1970 but his political tentacles were active from his grave I dare say.

"Andrews died in Dublin at the age of 84.

Two of his sons, Niall Andrews and David Andrews, became TDs; David Andrews became Minister for Foreign Affairs.

His brother, Paddy Andrews was a football player, most notably with Bohemians who was also capped by the Irish Free State. Todd Andrews' grandson Ryan Tubridy is a radio presenter and television chatshow host on RTÉ, while grandsons Barry Andrews and Chris Andrews were also TDs. Another grandson is comedian David McSavage.

Gay Byrne, one of Tubridy's predecessors on The Late Late Show, in his 1989 memoir The Time of My Life and subsequently in an RTÉ documentary in 2005, related how Andrews, when chairman of the RTÉ Authority, phoned the Director General of RTÉ Tim McCourt and ordered him to fire "that fucker Byrne"; McCourt refused to dismiss Byrne.[10][11]"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The only problem with your thesis is mcSavage is a roaring alcoholic, who cannot go with the flow and needs to vent through comedy. He is not the plain biscuit RTE require. They tried. It failed despite many LLS appearances

PK had him on a lot

It looks like a tester to me. Testing public response to that idea. It also wants to be seen as well let's see where his head is at and where this goes. Let's face it, it's also telling the public, I'm in charge and I'll make the call.

RT might not be prepared to do biz without Kelly. Yeah right, RT will kick him to the kerb so fast Kelly will be looking for the suing angle in their contract.

I think if Kelly gets the boot, hope he does, he has to, and RT goes back to RTE without him then Kelly is going to get really dirty. You might even see a sudden change in attitude from PK towards RT.

I could see a situation of stories flying from both sides. Kelly taking RTE to court. Kelly taking RT to court.

Unless NK gets RT a job in the UK on a Norwich broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think it would be interesting if the government gave over 70's a paid TV licence or an extra €160 a year in there pension.

It would be interesting to see what they'd choose.

• Advertisement

Then again it wouldn't surprise me if NK changes the company names - takes a backseat approach to running the company- wife is the new non-public face of the company. Change the public view. And everything goes back to the same way of doing things. RT still has NK and RTE.

KB and Lynch, RT and NK, will be at the next world cup in the best flip flops you can overpay for, getting overpaid for the same dull ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

There will be hopefully massive protest. I'm not a big protestor myself but I would be turning up to this one.

Hopefully, that's the case. But this is RTE.... anything is possible. They don't give a monkeys about taxpayers, committees, or anyone else.

Nah slow month for news so fired out an article with no comments etc to fill page space. Nobody had to even leave the office

If they wanted a tester they would run a RedC poll or the such like.

So are we in agreement that the Andrews family doesn't have a huge amount of influence?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

We're 4 weeks in and there's no sign of any protests yet. I'd have expected something by now.

Excellent proposal to replace the licence fee with a tax funded system. I think adding the fee to the standing charge on the electricity bill is an even better way of doing it, but ensuring everyone contributes to public service broadcasting is essential. We cannot have the wealthiest and most powerful dictating what we are told and what media we can consume. PSB is one of the cornerstones of a mature and successful democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't know Tubridy seems extremely loyal to Noel Kelly and lets him get a free run on all the contract stuff. Seems to really trust his decision making/deal making

Called him a good friend etc and how he would stay loyal to Kelly at one of the committee hearings.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Possibly, as long as the swamp can be drained, to use the Donalds expression. RTE to be reconstituted, facilitating the termination of all existing contracts and employments. Then rehire on the basis of need and with published pay scales in line with public service.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm kinda wondering about that too.

KB has at least twice mentioned talking to staff about RT when referring to whether or not he will be returning.

Who is he planning to talk to exactly? The researchers on his programme? The producers? Hmm.

No matter who he talks to, KB has to make that decision, that's why he is paid big money. The buck has to stop with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

The rehabilitation of RT would sicken a hungry pig.

Why would tubs get rid of Noel Kelly? he has managed to fill his bank account with declared and undeclared wages for years. He would be crazy because Im sure Kelly has plenty of dirt on him and could turn the press on him tomorrow morning.

It not hard to find out the stories, the press wont print them once he is with Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

They stated the agreement needed to be cost neutral to them.

Whats the problem?

Renault didn't force anyone to do anything.

RTE came up with the idea

RTE approached Renault.

Everything in this case the fault lays at RTE's door. All of it.

Looking at todays papers RTE seems to be pretty much admitting to it been on their side.

Pitty they didn't do this earlier.

Seems the indo are stating the government believe public sympathy to be on the side of Tubs.

He'll be back in no time.

I'm sorry to think he'll be back. But I think it's great the right people are getting targetted here for the wrong doings and not RT.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,144 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The question you're not asking yourself is why RTE engages in these shenanigans. Why did RTE came up with the idea - and note I'm not fully convinced of that.

Asked and answered:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'm not asking myself because I don't really care why RTE did it.

All I cared about in this case was the right people were "caught" and dealt with accordingly and that things at RTE across the board change.

I'm not expecting much.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

If KB is going to have several long conversations with RT, it doesn't look like he's showing him the door. Yeah, I really think RT is going to be back at RTE albeit on a reduced salary. But I'm thinking by how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

If turbedy is as good as himself and noal Kelly think he is, won't it be a big kick in the arse to come back to RTE for a lot less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭creedp

Again another transparent reason not to believe a word a politician says. Politician thinks does not equal politician says. Its all a game and words and actions are designed to placate the great unwashed. Tubridy and RTE just mirroring the political landscape with the irony being the politicians are lambasting them for playing their game. Lead from the tops lads/lassies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's quite clear Kevin Bakhurst wants Turbridy back. The idea that he is consulting with the staff about it is a charade. Also you don't need a long conversation to show someone the door.

The decision has already been made by him. The only thing he is concerned about is trying to get Turbridy to cut ties with NK as the price for coming back. I can't see Turbridy doing that, as NK could well have stuff on Turbridy. With this in mind it would not surprise me given his influence if Kelly is able to keep stories out of certain newspapers either. If you have the power to get fluff pieces printed that further your agenda,I think it's a given he has kept stories out of the press too.

Post edited by nacho libre on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement