Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nah he was just on loan. He's Juve's problem again now. They've apparently banished all the lads they loaned out last season from training - Weston McKennie, Denis Zakaria, and Arthur Melo all on the outs.

Mckennie sounded like he had a terrible attitude, and obviously Arthur is constructed entirely from damp toilet-roll inserts. Zakaria might be a bargain for someone though, looked a great DM in the Bundesliga before being dropped into the Chelsea shïtshow. Might have injury concerns though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Arguably our greatest ever player took the Saudi money and it's Hendo getting allll the flack... ridiculous imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

No he didn’t…! Origi plays in Italy for AC Milan now 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I thought Aspas played for Celta Vigo still?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There’s no real point turning against individuals. What is happening is deliberate and systemic. There will soon be too many big personalities and elite players over there to make this the right angle of attack anyway.

It's a bit different with Henderson, since he publicly nailed his colours to the mast already about just what he thinks of the laws in these despotic regimes, and his unequivocal support of the gay community. So it's a greater blow to that community for him to be bought.

Others like Gerrard or Bobby or Fabinho going are disappointing, but great as they all were, none of them stuck their neck out in the way Hendo did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If you are referring to Gerrard, while he might have been a great player and leader on the pitch, he has led a less than stellar lifestyle off it. The day he left the club, I stopped caring about what he did next. If he wants his family to cavort with drug dealers or he wants to play fisticuffs with DJs or live in a Saudi compound, that's up to him. It doesn't reflect on the club or my way of thinking if some private individual chooses to do something I don't see value in. Ditto for anyone else who leaves, I don't need to care in the same way about them anymore unless they are doing something that represents me or the club I support.

What if he goes there and donates the lot straight to a human rights charity, using it as a statement platform for a future career in politics? We don't know what his intentions are yet so no point judging him till we see how it unfolds.

Ah yeah of course, and sure he's not even gone yet... but chats are always gonna happen based on how things look in the moment - which is currently of a fella who publicly stood for one thing, looking like he's gonna go take a rake of cash from people who stand for the exact opposite thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

This is exactly it. I was disappointed by Stevie, God and Bobby going over there, but that was all. Henderson is different to me

Now, I'm a straight, white, man so it doesn't affect me directly, but I agree with his stance and admired the way he stood up for these things. That, along with organising support for the NHS across the league during COVID etc made me proud to have him as our captain, made me more proud of my club. And I get that many people aren't so bothered by that, I'm not trying to tell anyone they should be, but for me it'll mean much more if he goes, I'll genuinely be really saddened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just coming to post this. That's him gone. £40m is a good fee based on last year's performances though.

Excellent player for us and very grateful he was part of a great period for the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This window has gone from definitely progressive to up in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Henderson has been sold a cod I'd say, and it has all played out in the public. It sounds like that club that he was set to join don't actually have the money, not being a PIF club.

He's fecked it. Hard come back from it from a image POV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Aye if they don't have the money for a transfer fee how are they going to pay him the reported massive wages he's been offered!

It's funded by the Sports Ministry over there. I fully maintain if you can afford £350K/£700K or whatever you can afford a transfer fee of £20m.

I'm convinced Gerrard expected the club to let him leave on a free because he was looking for Henderson.

Should be able to afford the fee alright.

I wonder is there an element of the Saudi club being happy to pay the wage to the player as the money would be staying within the country, to a degree. The transfer fee would be leaving the country and going somewhere else. They don't have the PIF backing so can't get that extra boost to back them up when it comes to a transfer fee?

• Advertisement

Pearce, Reddy etc have been briefed with a list of names like Latvia, Amarbat, Gravenberch, Kalvin Philips as a Fabinho replacement but tbh I don't believe them. They are just using a list of names that have been mentioned in red tops over the last 6 months. I could have made up that list based on newspaper reports. As they all have the same names at the same time, it's done on purpose.

There's someone else not mentioned being worked on in the background....(I hope)

You could well be right

First time I've seen Phillips mentioned. No chance, but it's an interesting one. I bet we could get him back to his Leeds levels and it's obvious at City, despite lack of playing time, that he's a great character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Did Henderson actually come out and say that he was going to accept the transfer? Or are we assuming his silence is evidence that he wanted to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Upon seeing Joyce's tweet it's fair to say Fabinho is gone.

That leaves Alexis, Sobo, Thiago, Hendo, Harvey, Jones, Bajetic.

That's arguably an even worse midfield setup than we started last season with. A top class #6 is now desperately needed - as a very minimum.

That being said I expect so little from FSG, I won't be disappointed if we start another season with glaring holes in the squad yet again gone unaddressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Not the most inspiring list.

Lavia as one for the future, i can get onboard with. The others are uninspiring. I imagine there's other real targets that are being pursued, and that list is just a media briefing smokescreen.

I saw Philips mentioned alright the other day and seems to tick a lot of boxes;

HG

Defensive midfielder who can pass the ball

Experienced

Injury prone

Available

The box that he doesn't tick for me is the quality one. Maybe I'm wrong there but I don't see it personally at the moment. And he is 27 so not exactly a very long term transfer.

On paper it's probably a worse starting midfield but a month in and we saw how much Fabinho had regressed makes me think we're better off now. He was a liability in the middle. Couldn't run, tackle, avoid a yellow card, you name it, he was woeful. If we'd had any sort of depth he'd have been dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Maybe worse on paper given we've not signed a replacement for Fabhino but given that Kieta and Ox were injured and Fabhino was awful for most of the season then I'd say the current group is stronger.

MacAllister is a very solid player, consistent 8 out 10 performance, Szobo is an excellent player so no worries with him at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

Would Klopp have been given reassurances that Fabinho would be replaced? Otherwise seems strange to let him go even if they don't want to keep someone that wants to leave.

It's a hell of a long time with multiple ITK sources saying he's looking to go for him to keeping silent.

I saw a role for him and Hendo this season.

Need at least two more midfielders if they both leave, maybe 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

This window has turned bonkers. If fab and Henderson go we need another two midfielders plus a centre back.

Is Lavia good enough to play every week in a team challenging for top 4? I've no doubt he will be in a season or 2 but risky now. I'm not going to lie I'm kinda excited about the possibilities but also nervous FSG will do an FSG and sign no one else.

Post edited by jones on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Save the whining till the window is closed, fabinho hasn't even packed his bags

I was reading something earlier this week which was comparing prime Fabhino to current players who could replace him (this was written before the links I to Saudi came about I think) but the one the writer highlighted was Luis from Benfica. By all accounts he's meant to be a monster.

Rumoured to have a €100m release clause though so that probably rules him out.

Alvarez from Ajax was another name mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I think I read the same thing it was on Reddit. Really showed what a player Fab was in his prime and how relatively quickly he fell from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Unbelievable deal for Fabinho. Be great to get Henderson gone now. Not that old yet but past it and struggles to get through 90 mins. Bacjetic coming through and sign another defensive minded midfielder could make it a great window.

Should have gone for Ugarte!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Gone to PSG isn't he? Ugarte to get your business done quickly these days.

• Advertisement

It's a massive loss of experience though. Especially with new players coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

FSG must be loving the fact that the money spent is coming back in, and they'll have spent zero, again.

This Transfer Window

That's a mental viewpoint.

We need six first teamers for MF.

We currently have 5 of you exclude Jones and Elliott.

That'll be 3 if Hendo and Fab leave. Who are we going to get to replace them for 50m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Why are you excluding players? It's not just about the transfer fees, fabinho and Henderson are two of the highest earners, with it looking like they won't be our most influential players for the seasons ahead.

Personal view.

I don't consider Elliott a midfielder in a midfield 3 and, last ten games of last season/U21s euros aside, I am hugely unsure of Jones as a viable option.

With Hendo and Fab gone: We probably have Thiago,Mac and Sobo as first three.The second Thiago is injured we'd be turning to Elliott or Jones? Is that the strength in depth we are striving for?

Even if we go now and invest this estimated 50m incredibly well, we'd be integrating four new midfielders in one summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If Henderson goes too we need 3 new midfielders imo. You are really looking Mac alister as our most experienced midfielder now and he's new. Thiago I can't consider he's always injured.

It's the clear out in midfield that is needed although I'm very concerned it's all happening in one summer and it was thiago I expected would go before Fab and Hendo.

__________Alisson_______

__Gomez__Konate___VVD

______Mac______Lavia_____

Trent__Gakpo__Sobo____Diaz

___________Salah____________

League Goals for season

Salah - 25

Diaz - 22

Gakpo - 13

Trent - 10

Sobo - 8

VVD / Konate - 6

Mac Al -5 (pens)

89 For

Result? PL Winners 23/24

Bottom line, you need 85-100 goals to win this league, so if you're not going to have goal scores in the team, you have no hope. You need Diaz to have a Mane at his best, type of season, and score 20 + you need Gakpo to have a, Firmino at his best type of season, and get 13+ .

Goals win leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The clear our in midfield was needed, but, really should have been done over the course of last summer, January and this window, doing it all in one go is high risk stuff. Mac Allister and Sobo are fine players but need time to settle in, plus Thaigo can't be relied upon as will be injured throughout the season. We do need a DM, but, again whoever we sign will need time to settle in. I always thought it was a long shot that we'd challenge for the title this season, but, I think there is no way we will now. I'd be happy to win EL, get back into top 4 and get our midfield and defence settled and be ready for a possible title challenge in 24/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

This forum

• Advertisement
Advertisement