Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare Drug Seizure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

There are approx 17,000 gardai. Of course there will be a small element in ANY group of 17,000 predominantly male employees.

But because they are gardai, their actions get substantially more press coverage than if they were in a large private company and some people will then jump to a conclusion that due to a very small number of incidents that the force is then "riddled" with corruption.

and it is also true that some criminal elements will try and coerce their way into becoming a garda - just as some gardai will infiltrate criminal gangs so that actions can be thwarted.

But to jump to a conclusion that due to the actions of a very small number that this gives a super highway to drug importers is just plain ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

People that talk about legalise cocaine to be honest have no idea what it means.

From what I can see no country in the World has made the buying and selling of cocaine legal

Yet someone in Ireland who likes to take cocaine thinks we should make it legal and everything will be ok then. Yet they are already feeding the criminal gangs in Ireland. Not really the people I would be looking to on advice if we should make cocaine legal or not.

You are trying to compare drug taking to homosexuality and contraception. Go back and think about that one a bit longer

Small and very small issues in Garda as an organisation. But no chance any of this will hit the street. Didn't they say on average what the Garda or any police force catch is less than 10% of the amount of drugs actually getting into the country. So this might seem like a big catch but in reality it isn't.

If people gave the same amount of money to the Garda that they give drugs dealer to buy the drugs we would be in a lot better situation.

But they won't, blow all their money on drugs and hate to keep saying it, they are the first people crying when crime hits them. Then it's all the Garda fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...they might be glorifying it, but you gotta ask, is our current approach truly working? this is more than likely just a drop in the ocean of the amount of the stuff making it into circulation, we re currently experiencing an epidemic with the stuff, with a significant rise in teenagers entering rehab, and even a very small percentage of pre teens, now thats scary sh1t!

great podcast on it....

whatever we ve been doing, it aint working!

• Advertisement

Unless the population are with you then its pointless.

You have entire families now who are drug dealers. In reality in the likes of Dublin you will have entire estates which are made up of drug dealers and drug addicts.

The city centre is like the walking dead at times with zombie addicts walking about. Especially with covid and the number of workers reduced.

The Garda can't cope, you can easily find videos of massive groups of kids/young adults attacking Garda. Just last week a video of a group, including adults attacking two Garda in an estate in Dublin with the Garda having to run away

Then you have people on here talking about taking a few lines. How can a population or Garda fight the rising tide?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Yes, both were illegal, like drugs, people still used/practised it despite the law, like drugs and they also involved non-consenting victims like drugs. It is a credible analogy, I'm actually surprised you don't agree.

It's not credible. Not credible at all.If you can't work out the differences then sorry I ain't here to help.

How do you know I'm mistaken if we legalise drugs, have you a crystal ball. I'd love to see it tried for a couple of years, if the pros don't outweigh the cons by then, we can revert to prohibition but let's not knock it 'til we try it. I don't agree with America's gun laws, but that's probably for another thread. Car accidents involve excess speeding and reckless driving and should be policed robustly, whether drivers take coke or not. Many motorists here condone that by flashing their lights to warn others of a Garda road check. That's probably for another thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd you want people to buy into legalising cocaine and other drugs.

You've got to come up with a better analogy than homosexuality and cocaine.

• Advertisement

...drug use is astonishingly complicated, but you can be damn sure, stress plays a major role for many, then of course theres the pleasure seekers, and everything else in between....

...we ve managed to stress a significant proportion of citizens to the point, they will consume whatever it takes to remove themselves from their painful reality, we cant keep playing this game, many other countries have gone down this road, and a right mess has resulted, parts of the us etc....

Fair enough. Can you give me ONE good reason why coke is and should remain illegal, because I've yet to hear it.

...i think those of us that advocate for legalisation, would wanna be careful what we wish for, it wouldnt solve all our problems, it would clearly significantly magnify many of the related issues, thats the reality of it....

Do you actually think people will stop taking drugs because they're illegal and others don't approve. You want people to tell Gardai they've taken cocaine? Are you serious? I don't complain about crime associated with the illegality of drugs, I wish it didn't happen but I accept it as a consequence of prohibition unlike supporters of the War on Drugs.

like I said, why not try it first, we can revert to prohibition, if the pros don't outweigh the cons

Yes it is, another similarity is that others didn't approve, both were considered immoral, just like taking drugs.

It's a very complex issue.

Well currently in Ireland mental health services are massively under resourced and are struggling. I doubt legalising Concaine and other harsher drugs. Will improve the situation. That issue is fixable tough.

I'm not anti legalisation tough. I'm open to it. Your earlier analogy was fairly poor. I just think we need to know more.

....addictions and addictive substances dont work that way, you may bin logic when approaching them, in theory yes, but the reality is, this would more than likely fail, and fail very badly, it would probably be like opening the barn door type situation....

..i would advocate for an extremely slow measured legalisation process, for example, start with class c's, legalise these slowly, see what happens, address social problems that result from this, increase funding and resources into sectors that are required, health system etc, then move forward...

class a's are so for a reason, we all know they are highly addictive, highly problematic, and potentially highly dangerous, we already know this....

I can't see how keeping cocaine illegal will help under resourced mental health services.

Suggest you google "Why is cocaine illegal". Not sure how anyone in the World at this stage is not aware why it is illegal.

You have so far tried to compare to homosexuality, contraception and now you are saying you have never once heard one reason why it should be illegal. I might suggest you do a tiny bit of research before trying to push for drug to be legalised but seem to have no idea what it is or why it is illegal.

Also it might be worth doing a bit of research about the drug before you use. Concerning you are using it yet know nothing about the issues with the drug. So maybe explain what research you did before taking it?

• Advertisement

So you think mental health services would be better if we drug people with cocaine?

It would make it more widely available and more socially acceptable to use. Which could result in more issues in my opinion.

If you can't see that or be willing to accept points I think your very blinkered about the situation.

I don't agree that cocaine is addictive, true, some people take more than they should. Most users I know take it at weekends or special events. I last took it at Christmas and I'd rarely use it more than 3/4 times a year, I can't afford to.

"I don't agree that cocaine is addictive"

Well the rest of the World would disagree with you including all research on the drug. All the drug addicts walking around hooked on cocaine might be a hint

"I last took it at Christmas and I'd rarely use it more than 3/4 times a year, I can't afford to."

I would suggest you do a tiny bit of research before taking drugs into what it is, what affects it can have and what are the known bad affects.

Just because a rock band took it doesn't mean it ok by the way. The soccer player you mentioned more or less ruined his life with the drug

No I welcome your opinions. If it were legal, it would be another tax for the state and less money to spend on policing. We'd then have more resources to help the small minority of people who develop problems, mental health etc.

It's not a minority who develop a problem. Hence why it is illegal. Again. Suggest you do a tiny bit of research on the drug

OK, thanks.

How would we police it around night clubs/pubs.

Would it be okay to head in with a few grams in your pocket or would it only be acceptable to do at home?

If we do legalise and it's a massive success. Then it's great however at what point would you consider the situation a failure?

Also more questions

Why do you feel the need to take cocaine?

Have you any concerns about taking it? IE your taking something that's illegal and not regulated and the effects it could have on you and your family?

I am aware that legalising it would allow ot to be regualed more.

Sorry, about the questions. Your sort of the salesman here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Free taster sachets?

Hello Ned Flanders

Haven’t heard that one in while - if you think dealers are giving out cocaine for free I’ve a bridge to sell you.

It’s a myth told to children in 6th class

"The rest of the world would disagree" how do you know that, did ask them. I know there's no quality control in the production of cocaine, but that doesn't stop people taking it. I mentioned the successful rock bands 'cos it calls into question the theory that drugs automatically ruin your life. How did cocaine ruin Maradona's life, he came from the slums of Buenos Aires, retired in a luxury house, in Argentina and elsewhere he is/was God and according to Off the Ball he was paid 10,000 sterling per day to be an ambassador for the 2018 World Cup. Not bad for a drug-taking loser. He also lived longer than that other soccer legend, George Best and it wasn't cocaine that ruined his life.

• Advertisement

It is a minority, do you know that over 99% of people who take it, do NOT die from the experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement