Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Another day stuck inside with young kids, feels like the walls closing in at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Go to the museums anyway, even an art museum or something visual? Go to an Irish pub for lunch? Shopping centres? I’d do anything rather than be stuck inside all day with visitors. I’ve even go for a rain walk :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Be getting hopes up it pass soon looking at Netradar, only more behind it with Shannon radar not working I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some totals from yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Forecast completely wrong for here (South East Cork), some light rain earlier for a short while but dry now and partially cloudy. Rain seems to be breaking up before it gets here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Soft day..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There seems to be some glorious weather from 5am to 7am everyday if you can get the kids up and down to the beach before the daily summer rains set in😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

It is so hard, we have been out in it a good bit anyway this week because we were on ' holidays' but so hard to enjoy when it's like that, shopping centre for us today as things to get and then keep fingers crossed tomorrow is looking better so will hopefully get to the park.

Do you know what's terrible aswell used to be two great places in Dublin Imagonisty & Science place in Sandyford for days like this and they never reopened after Covid.

I actually thought it couldn't get worse than yesterday but rain so far here is even heavier today!

The museums could still work if say art museum, you don't need anything translated for that, if pubs are out as too noisy maybe somewhere like Avoca for lunch? Definitely get out or you will crack up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

My son (nearly 3) just said "the rain is like tears on the window".

Awwww so cute, my 7 year is delighted that no suncream needed today😁

I'd put my money on Shane Lowry for golf M.T loves the wind and rain, or Rory If he is playing, only an Irish person could play well in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It has been raining since yesterday morning , quite blustery earlier this morning too. The fields will be flooded soon at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Absolutely got away with murder here, the rain never came.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭pauldry

The cat is hiding in every box or bag he can find. Normally he's sitting on the window looking out but even he's depressed by Summer at this stage.

84mm now for July with 46mm since Thursday at 7pm.

Gale Force winds today to go with the rain. Probably hail tomorrow. Not sure what we did to deserve this. Get a better than deserved June?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

12/25 synoptic stations are now wetter than average for July 2023 after yesterday's washout with as much as 154% of average at Mount Dillon.

I've added in July 2020 and 2009 for comparison as they are the most recent wettest Julys though others were locally wetter in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2015.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think most stations will well beat 100mm of rainfall by the time we finish July. This weekend is dominated by a slow moving dartboard low which is giving very big rainfall totals over a 48 hour to 72 hour period with very little break from the rain. The models are playing around with the idea of another dart board low event next weekend with another weekend washout a possibility. In between this weekends washout and next weekends possible washout there will still be plenty of rain or showers about. Summer has derailed and is nothing but a trainwreck at this stage.

Currently there is no end in sight to this unsettled washing machine of slowly rotating low pressures.

Sryanbruen, I was just going to ask you how we were looking for wettest July!

Wait until today has been added in aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Banarol

Wetter than July 09 and July 20 at my nearest station, we could be looking at 250 to 300% by the end of the month at some stations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Some places look like they could be beating the wet march this year

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Torrential rain/ trees swaying voliently from side to side for the second day in a row ,west Dublin

As for the St. Swithin's Day folklore, I do not have any national Irish daily rainfall data and the UK is the best I have to offer. One day does not define the rest of the summer. There's so much nuance to consider. Where did the rain fall? What was the quantity of rain in that location? What about those where no rain fell on the day but it fell for others? St. Swithin's Day in the UK in recent years has been dry but August has been 50/50 with two contrasting pairs - the wet 2019/2020 and dry 2021/2022. 1976 is one of the wettest St. Swithin's Days here and was followed by the second driest August.

Saying this, this year's one is unsettled and it does look wet for the foreseeable but as far as I'm concerned, that is pure coincidence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Post from ascophyllum moved from FI + 120hrsthread : 'Not so bad yet on the west coast, the wind is not as strong as forecast and the showers aren't too frequent. The sun even came out for a few minutes! Still grim for July.'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Atrocious conditions here in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wet and breezy, 15c. Not bad autumnal weather for July.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I’ve seen many’s a day in November with those stats. I see the forever young concert in naas has had to stop day trippers entering the site because of the underfoot conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I’m a firm believer in the St Swithin weather lore. No, not the 40 days of rain nonsense as even the worst summers have reasonably good days with sunshine between fronts.

By mid July summers in Ireland and the UK are usually locked into a pattern that persists for the remainder of the season which is what the legend is based on.

July 1976 was not a poor month, there was a bit of an unsettled spell mid month but the start and finish were warm, dry and sunny.

The mid month pattern a year ago, old St Swithin predicted a fine August!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2pm at Knock. Gusting 30 knots ,just 3km visibility in drizzle , and temperature of only 13 degrees. Yuck

EIKN 151300Z 29020G30KT 3000 DZ BKN004 OVC007 13/13 Q0990 BECMG 6000

• Advertisement

The end of July 1976 was not warm, in fact it was quite cool with mostly 16-17C days and there was ground frost on the final day. There was even air frost in the UK into early August. The airflow was northwesterly with a mid-Atlantic ridge. After the June/July 1976 heatwave ended, the summer didn't pick up again until the second week of August and this is lost in people's memories.

1995 was unsettled on St. Swithin's Day (which you have posted before back in 2018 as a means of it doesn't mean August will be a write off).

Advertisement