Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It really isn't, I don't think, if you have a limiter. But yes, it does feel really slow.

I haven't done this, but I think if people actually did that loop at 50kmh or 60, suddenly they'd realise 30 isn't that silly when they are almost rolling out the drivers door. Or see the lorry going at 50kmh merrily tipping over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I see they aren’t big up the old roundabout surface north and south of the junction. They however hammered lots of holes into the surface.

Assume they will now just cover the old surface with gravel/clay and the holes are to allow water flow? I find it a very strange approach. Surely it could cause a lot of drainage issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

"much" more sever? Both seem very similar angled turns, 270 degrees in a 100/200m, both downhill. It's the same on other junctions on M50 and around europe/US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

25 mph is 40 kph though - not 30 kph - and that sounds like a much more reasonable limit to me.

It's not correct that it's the same elsewhere.

• There is no uniform 30 limit on turns joining or leaving the M50. Depending on the radius, they are 30, 40, and even 60.
    • Paris's equivalent to the M50 (the Périphérique) has plenty of tight turns with a 50 limit.
    • Lots of tight turns at German autobahn junctions have 60 limits.
    • On California and Florida freeways junctions, the limit is usually 25 mph (40 kph) even on tight turns.
    • etc., etc.

10 mins on Google streetview shows that for a turn of that radius, 30 is a bit on the low side by international standards. And the DKI traffic cams show that most smaller vehicles are safely negotiating Link F at well over 30. I'm just advocating fairness and common sense. 30 is unrealistically and unnecessarily low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The loops on US cloverleafs are normally around three times the diameter of this one (typically 1000 ft, versus 100 m).

Measured from the map, the part of the loop here that's under 30 km/h limit has a total length of around 350 metres. That's the maximum, I think it's shorter.

Traversing 350 m at 30 km/h takes 42 seconds. Increase the speed to 50 km/h, and it's 25 seconds.

So, assuming that traffic can take the curve at 50 km/h (and this is just not true; few drivers are comfortable driving at this speed) we're talking about a maximum possible time saving of just seventeen seconds.

"Common sense" says to set the limit to a safe level, and that's 30 km/h. I don't know how you're measuring the speed of cars on the curve, but I'd be very surprised if it's in excess of 30 km/h.

You can argue all you want for a 40 km/h limit, but there is no legal "40 km/h" speed limit in Ireland. The only permitted options are 30, 50, 60, 80, 100 and 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Both are 270 deg. turns alright, but Red Cow radius is only 35 mtrs, whereas Dunkettle is over 50 mtrs;

I don't know if either is banked though.

I know that loops in the US are normally larger than here. That’s why I said “even on tight turns”. Look at freeway sections in urban areas in CA or NY and you’ll find plenty of loops even tighter than Link F with a 25 mph limit (you’ll find plenty in LA with no posted ramp limit).

Not sure where you’re going with the calculation of the possible time saving. That is missing the point completely. There is an important principle in play here. We are lucky enough to live in a country where the state cannot arbitrarily restrict what we do, as in, it cannot restrict us without reasonable justification. In this instance, the justification would be safety. The international evidence and the personal experience of many who have driven on Link F is that 30 is unjustifiably low. As such, it is an arbitrary restriction.

Regarding the supposed absence of a 40 limit in Ireland, the RTA was amended this year to permit any speed between 20 and 120 (in increments of 10) to be used on variable speed signage. Maybe that is the solution here. 30 in bad weather or when traffic is heavy. 40 otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Weren't the 30kph limits introduced due to numerous overturning of vehicles on the m50 loops, think one resulted in a fatality too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

There is also the consideration of the N25 E which is below and very close to that loop.

Imagine a vehicle going too fast, going through the barrier and down onto the road below, I imagine that is possibly a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

This is where law and common sense conflict

30Kph feels wrong at that junction. And I spent half the time making sure I could stay below 30, so I too went 20-25. But the funny thing is, on a speed dial it is very hard to watch the difference in speed between 25-30. you barely feel it through the arse of your cheeks, and you have to squint at a very particular point on the speed dial.

I think they need to remove that speed van. if someone does 35kph by coasting over for a few moments, getting 3 penalty points for that is outrageous. That isn't protecting anyone.

Furthermore for those claiming it's changing driving behaviour, then leave the Speed Van there, but don't be sending out points.

Drove through a few times the last few days and I felt I was watching my speedo more than the road. My cruise control doesn’t work below 50kph either. Not sure the constant speed van presence is optimising safety or throughput on the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Whocare

How can you be sure? There’s a speed van planted at the end of the 30kph loop since it opened. I’m certainly not taking any risk.

Just on the signage point, using Cork (North), Cork (West), Cork (East) etc could be extremely confusing here as West Cork, East Cork, North Cork are geographic place names that are widely used and marketed towards tourists.

If you put up signage for Cork (West) you’ll have people trying to get to Skibb and Clonakilty using those routes

The county and main city / county town names being the exact same word in all the cities and many counties is why you need to signpost City Centre, not Cork. It needs to be intuitive, not pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

City west ,city north ,city centre would have probably been more logical alright ,

If you didnt know you were on the outskirts of cork city then a few traffic signs are the least of your problems ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's a pity superdestinations were removed from the TSM about 10 years ago. Before that, the N71 was signed as "West Cork" all around Cork and it made right sense. Now all the signs are trying to cram Bandon, Inishannon, Clonakilty, Bantry, Skibbereen etc into one sign.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Tbh you're right, if you don't know you're in Cork, a sign isn't going to help. It should read CITY CENTRE (N8), CITY NORTH (R635) and CITY SOUTH (N40). Before approaching the Dunkettle, there are signs saying "Welcome to Cork City", so you should know exactly what city centre is being referred to. Plus, the VMS signs say CITY CENTRE, not CORK. Why Mahon has a sign directing people to Cork makes no sense to me (and it's a bit annoying as I mentioned this with TII years ago and they said the comments would be taken on board). It's like how the N28 signs in Rochestown tell users to access CORK via the N27, when they've been in Cork for nearly 5km. I am really unsure why TII are so afraid of using CITY CENTRE. Here are some examples of TII or the Council replacing CITY CENTRE with CORK

N28 (after Carr's Hill Interchange)

N28 On-Ramp (Rochestown Road)

Bull McCabes

Thankfully that ring branding never caught on. I’ll say no more on the topic…

It will be interesting to see how it all works out when the project is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Whocare

because van inside 60km limit. it very unlikely it getting cars inside 30km limit

• Advertisement

One more point about the 30 limit on Link F and then I promise I’ll STFU about it. The turn radius is a lot more than the roundabouts at the new dumb bell junctions at the DKI. And yet those junctions have a 50 limit. The city is in fact full of roundabouts with 50 limits. The Tivoli roundabout is 60. The Lakeview and Shannonpark roundabouts are 80. Do the folks in this forum who think that 30 is appropriate for Link F so as to avoid trucks tipping over, etc. also think that all of these roundabouts should have 30 limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Limits are not targets.

The 50 limit as you come up to those roundabouts is for the road network that you're joining - it is not just applied to the roundabout. You have to slow down (and yield to traffic on your right) before entering a roundabout, so your entry speed will not be particularly high. Most traffic on these roundabouts will be travelling at under 30 km/h, especially if it had to stop before entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Maybe you have to stop maybe it's not necessary, it depends on the presence and positioning of other traffic using a roundabout. Also, unlike link F, roundabouts are generally not banked.

Considering that speed limits are not targets, 50 or 60kmh should be permitted on link F, I'm sure a lower speed would be chosen by drivers of vehicles unsuitable to travel the link at the maximum posted limit, as is the case at other hazardous road configurations.

I’ve spent 16 years as a club cyclist in Cork, riding thousands of km per year with a speedo under my nose and a strong sense of self-preservation. So I’m very attuned to how fast motor vehicles move pretty much everywhere in the Cork hinterland. I can say with certainty that (unless traffic or weather intervenes), very, very few vehicles travel at less than 30 kph anywhere. It is a ridiculously low speed in a motor vehicle.

That merge when going from the city to the tunnel is horrible. I wasn’t expecting the layout to be like that and the oncoming traffic wasn’t allowing merges and came down off the M8 too fast and assumed absolute priority.

There was a speed van on the loop, so it was moving at 30km/h or less and the oncoming traffic merging was coming in way way faster so everyone slammed on.

I can see that needing lights unfortunately. It’s not going to work. It seems like a rather theoretical design that assumes a lot about driver behaviour, particularly when they’ll be sailing on at speed off the end of the M8.

Maybe the signage and markings will help.

I think you’re going to see a few crashes on that in next while.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They should have done something with the roundabout to the west and provided the one freeflow link they left out (M8S - N25W). Having cars go through the dumbells to get to Cork really undermines the scheme. It's not a "freeflow" junction. 7/8 movements are freeflow except for arguably the most important one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's only the most important one in symbolic terms. It's the quietest two arms of the roundabout linking to one another, and the M8 -> N40 is freeflow which links to much more of Cork than the N8 does.

Making M8 -> N8 freeflow would require a third level on top of what's already there, in a area very tight for space on boggy ground. It would have added quite a bit of expense onto the project for very limited gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Let’s accept that both of the above points are valid, i.e. it would have been better if the M8S to N25W was direct unimpeded free flow and that the cost/practicality of providing this meant that it was not viable. The practical issue then is the impact adding this traffic has on other traffic on the two small slow moving roundabouts. While the northern roundabout is now fully open, though perhaps not yet attracting all the traffic that it will ultimately carry, the southern roundabout has a distance to go. It is only when this opens fully that we will see the actual impact, and whether or not it results in tailbacks on the other arms of the roundabouts during peak hours and the imposition of traffic lights. That, in my opinion, will be the measure of success or failure for this element of the project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Didn't they do piling on one part of the roundabout related to the n25w to m8n structure? Maybe this is similar and they'll end up tearing up the old surface at a later time

Advertisement