Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the Left - read OP

Options

Comments

Far-left agitators went crazy when Elon Musk took control of Twitter.

Before the takeover, Twitter was heavy-handed with moderation and anyone who had even moderate right-wing opinions was shadow-banned or simply just banned. So Musk has since become Enemy #1 in the minds of many far-left activists. Hence why we see the consistent, almost obsessive stream of hatred toward the platform as well as sarcastic references to how it operates; which is ironic when you think about it, because many far-left agitators themselves use Twitter.

Lurking behind all those references which pretend to be above-board, legitimate criticisms is the displeasure that moderate, right-wing opinions and political positions are now held to the same standard as everyone else. That's what actually bothers them. They are against equality of free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

The middle in Ireland is not very well represented

For obvious reasons I wouldn't typically engage with posts like this.

But all I will say is that you're trying to argue with me now, and it's also the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It has vast majority of representatives; ff, fg - centre right, sf, lab, soc dems, greens - centre left.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm not going to argue with you about this.

If you have any thoughts on what I actually posted re: far-left activists and questions of free speech, I'm all ears.

Otherwise let's leave it there.

• Advertisement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That question was asked of me perhaps 40-pages ago. I dealt with the matter at the time, in my own way. I know that neither you nor Overheal were satisfied with my answer, but the answer I gave at the time is the same answer I would give today.

And just one other thing. How is your demand that I argue my case against the school curriculum question consonant with what you said to me just 15-minutes ago:

Either way, that's the end of both matters as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dealt with the matter at the time, in my own way.

completely disingenuous. You didn’t handle it at all you ignored it and hoped the thread would move on without anyone noticing. Do you care about evidence or not? You picked the example, I provided the direct, primary source of evidence.

Footage of the actual arrest of Sarah Jane Baker has emerged.

It was an utter disgrace that the initial investigation into the incitement to violence was dropped. But this arrest is better late than never. I'd say Suella Braverman had something to do with it, and she backed the investigation to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Placed under arrest for suspicion of inciting violence, a charge some on this thread were claiming couldn't be made under current UK legislation (See pages 60-61 of this thread as displayed on mobile site 10th of July, exchanges between myself and One Eyed Jack).

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Baker was.honest about her beliefs. You are not.

You both spread lies and propaganda. You both try and cite people. You pretend it's anti far left sentiment. You spew phobic propaganda and we've all seen how dangerous purveyors of phobic propaganda are - look at Trump, look at De Santis

Look at Baker for example. The only difference is that you've stopped short of suggesting people start fights but beyond that you're exactly the same.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Hmm...

You said exactly what I reproduced as you having said, because I double-checked and made sure I wasn’t misrepresenting your opinion or citing you out of context. You say I ignore the fact that this person made the statement while holding an Antifa flag, but I didn’t, and I can show you where I didn’t too, and it’s not unfortunate for me at all to put their opinions in the political realm, because that was the reason I gave initially as to why they would be unlikely to be prosecuted for incitement to violence - political speech is permitted under UK law, and the CPS would be unlikely to pursue a prosecution because they would look stupid for pursuing a prosecution against the individual in an attempt to make an example of them.

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the Left - Page 61 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Nobody claimed the charge couldn't be made, and when I said it was unlikely, it was, because it really was, unlikely. Incitement to violence is based on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation as opposed to just 'belief'. 'Gender critical' beliefs are a protected philosophical belief for the purposes of protection from discrimination under UK employment law; that protection doesn't apply outside of that context.

It was your original contention that the individual in question should be charged with Incitement and made an example of, and when I pointed out that the offence of Incitement had been abolished in 2008, you referred to an amendment to the Non-fatal Offences Against the Person Act, an amendment I'm not aware of, but I figured you might be referring to the amendment to the Public Order Act which still wouldn't have applied in this case, so they would have been unlikely to be charged with an offence under that act either.

I said a few days ago that I know I called it wrong earlier in the thread when I said it was unlikely, they would be charged with an offence -

I know I called it wrong earlier in the thread when I said it was unlikely that they would be charged with an offence, but it appears there really is a blatant double standard in play when it comes to people who are transgender. I’d still be really surprised if they were convicted of an offence tbh.

Because I knew it was always possible, they could be charged with any number of offences. The idea that they would be charged with an offence however was unlikely based upon the circumstances in this case. It turns out I underestimated the unwillingness of the Met police to make themselves look stupid. At this point I'd still be surprised if the individual in question were convicted of an offence. I don't know the exact nature of the charge, but it doesn't fit with Incitement to violence, which is why I'm referring to 'an offence' instead of the specific offence of Incitement to violence. The way the offences of encouraging or assisting others to commit an offence are prosecuted is that they are as though the person themselves committed the offence, which in this case I have no idea what evidence the Met police have which supports the charge. I don't even know why they chose to pursue an investigation, precisely because doing so demonstrates a blatant double standard when it comes to people who are transgender.

You present to me a meritless salad of Ad hominem attacks, expecting me to take it seriously?

I'm not even going to engage with this. It's beyond ridiculous. If you have any arguments or evidence against the positions I've put forward in this thread, by all means present it and I will engage. But if you continue down this Ad hominem route, I will simply not respond.

And choosing Sarah Jane Baker as a person to defend isn't a hill I would choose to die on, to put it mildly.

You don’t seem to mind engaging in Ad hominem attacks so why use this as your excuse for not coming to Jesus about your position on the school curriculum for which we have primary, prima facie evidence?

I've presented plenty of evidence over the last few weeks - you ran away from it all, remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So are people for or against hate speech legislation now that the trans activist has been arrested? I thought those on the Right were against such laws?

Another tweetdump. And it’s the same tweet you already dumped here before. No thanks again. Even the leftover Twitter users fact checked that tweet lol

indeed why are you just reposting basically what you already said about this? To try and cover up questions about the school curriculum you have “concerns” with?

No, it's legitimate.

Arguments for violence to be perpetrated against women ("TERFs") is not isolated to this incident with Sarah Jane Baker.

There is a toxic level of hatred among activists against women who want to stand up for their rights and spaces.

Can you blame women for wanting to protect their spaces from people with these views?

Just stating it’s legitimate doesn’t make it legitimate.

Can you answer my questions about the school curriculum we have primary evidence for now that you are replying to my posts again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 notnattynate

@Overheal

""All you have are tweets, it's low quality hot garbage, twitter is a dead platform""

As told by the CEO who has told proven lies and even sock puppets on Alt accounts. There’s a thread on here detailing all of that farther. A new post in it just now notes revenue is still nosediving at Twitter, having 2 weeks ago been on its hind legs after failing to pay its bills to Google. Platform usage being up by 3.5% doesn’t make tweets 3.5% more credible, which is what is relevant here. Nobody cites Wikipedias view count to defend it as a source either.

As told by the CEO who has told proven lies and even sock puppets on Alt accounts.

You claimed that the protest in favour of releasing Sarah Jane Baker was fictional, that it was debunked:

Even the leftover Twitter users fact checked that tweet lol

Just stating it’s legitimate doesn’t make it legitimate.

So either what you said was misinformation or a lie, because that protest to "free Sarah Jane Baker" went ahead at the courthouse, as advertised. I've repeatedly called out your deliberate falsehoods and disingenuous responses, and this is the latest of a very, very long line of examples.

Some of the placards used, claiming "State Repression" and that Baker is a "Political Prisoner":

These protestors are an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

As… amusing, as it is to read your consistent misrepresentation (and that’s about the extent of your commitment to consistency), the activists claims above are equally absurd as your own claim that anyone was arguing that women should be punched in the face.

The comments referenced TERFs, not women. For the purposes of clarification, TERF is a political term rooted in Feminism, a political ideology which is not exclusive to women, as men have been involved in Feminist activism since its inception, even more so in recent years as Feminism has evolved from representing women’s liberation, to gender equality.

There is no evidence to support the claim that Suella Braverman encouraged police to reinvestigate the case; there is evidence that she thanked the police for doing so -

There’s a couple of ways to interpret her tweet (God I detest twitter with a passion, even having to use the word ‘tweet’ like that, it’s too stupid! 😔), but I prefer to give her the benefit of the doubt that she hopes to bring an end to the petty squabbling and politicisation of the issues involved. It would certainly be more consistent with the statement she made a couple of months ago about encouraging police to prioritise freedom of expression by keeping it at the front of their minds, and her concerns about police getting wrongly involved in lawful debate in the UK -

Home Secretary Suella Braverman said:

I have been deeply concerned about reports of the police wrongly getting involved in lawful debate in this country.

We have been clear that in recording so called non-crime hate incidents, officers must always have freedom of expression at the forefront of their minds.

The new code will ensure the police are prioritising their efforts where it’s really needed and focusing on tackling serious crimes such as burglary, violent offences, rape and other sexual offences.

The draft code introduces new safeguards to ensure that personal data may only be included in a non-crime hate incident record if the event is clearly motivated by intentional hostility and where there is a real risk of escalation causing significant harm or a criminal offence.

It addresses concerns that those who express views which some consider offensive, but are not against the law, are at risk of becoming the subject of a non-crime hate incident report, and that this may result in their personal data being stored on a policing record.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/police-will-prioritise-freedom-of-speech-under-new-hate-incident-guidance

The activists you’re referring to haven’t characterised the individual in question as a political prisoner, they have characterised the arrest as a political attack, which it does appear to be, but they have mischaracterised what was actually said in claiming it was a hypothetical self-defence.

It’s clear from the context in which the comments were made that it was intended as a joke, never intended to be taken literally, and the person who made the comments could not reasonably have been expected to believe that anyone would take it literally, a requirement in order to support a charge of incitement to violence. Reckless? Possibly, and the reason I say possibly is because anything is possible at this point.

It’s exactly the sort of circumstances Dame Cressida Dick, former Met Police Commissioner warned against - the politicisation of policing in the UK:

But her letter did not forgo criticism of the UK's "politicisation of policing".

She said: "The current politicisation of policing is a threat not just to policing but to trust in the whole criminal justice system.

"Operational independence from local and central government is crucial for an effective democracy and is a model respected around the world. We must all treasure and protect it."

She ended the letter by saying she was "sad" that her time "in this great job is fast drawing to a close", but expressed her excitement for the Met's future.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/dame-cressida-dick-outgoing-met-chief-warns-against-politicisation-of-policing-in-farewell-letter-to-london-12585412

Her excitement for the Met’s future will obviously be tempered by the fact that Conservative Right-wing politicians are quite eager to show they mean business and have begun as they mean to go on by consistently contradicting themselves when and where it suits them, as opposed to making any kind of an attempt to promote and uphold democracy and Human Rights in the UK.

I’m not sure what this incident is doing in this thread at all tbh as it has all the hallmarks of a threat coming from the Right, given they have the political influence, power and authority to ensure people who are transgender aren’t treated fairly and are held to a much higher standard than anyone who is not transgender.

You think everyone is a communist and all trans people are violent.

Quotes please?

Because I don't think either of these things.

More made up Ad hominem nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 notnattynate

""I actually feel genuinely sad for you that you think everyone is a communist and all trans people are violent."""

@Annasopra could you could quote where @[Deleted User] said that please.

Post edited by notnattynate on

A large amount of your posts are about violence from trans people. You label lots of people as "far left" for no reason. Its genuinely sad you are that obsessed.

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

You claimed that the protest in favour of releasing Sarah Jane Baker was fictional, that it was debunked:

Dunno how that's what you interpret from that as my claim sorry. My claim was that the tweet from a user without even a blue check at that, is only evidence of a tweet. I'm glad I have inspired you to take up your burden of proof a bit farther however by linking through to photos of the rally. They don't look particularly dangerous IMHO, they even stand orderly behind their own banner. All I see though is "free sarah Jane Baker" signs I don't see "punch a TERF" signs or anything like that, so it is unclear if they support punching TERFs or simply support someone's rights to political speech, or perhaps they believe like most people do, in the presumption of innocence before the law. I'd love to know if anyone interviewed them to that effect.

I've repeatedly called out your deliberate falsehoods and disingenuous responses, and this is the latest of a very, very long line of examples.

Again still waiting for your comments on your concerns about the school curriculum we have prima facie evidence for. You are in no place while that is outstanding at the very least to be attacking anyone for "deliberate falsehoods and disingenuous responses"

These protestors are an embarrassment.

To who? Gemma O'Doherty? Nigel Farage? Elvis?

What DO you think: about that school curriculum you emphatically argued you were concerned about? Is it still a concern? Danger?

I've entertained virtually each and every one of your tangents that you've brought up in lieu of a response to that but you still have the gall to accuse me of bad faith and disingenuousness.

• Advertisement

Why is every linkdump you make about trans activist violence?

Why do you have concerns about trans content on the school curriculum?

Advertisement