Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare Drug Seizure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

lols...you can already see the damage alcohol is doing, yet here you are arguing to legalise possibly the most socially destructive drug known to man. Prohibition is not the issue when it comes to cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

I think we are going in circles to be honest. All you seem to do is take my post, never given any opinion and just ask another question.

As I said our best route is to properly educate people on drugs. Stop the glorifications of criminal gangs. Most people seem to be incapable of doing anything unless it is on the TV. Like Martin Cahill was an absolute scumbag, yet both films made about it came out as he was just a poor man trying to make a living and the bad Garda stopped him. It should be the opposite.

Love/Hate similar carry on. I don't even watch that latest RTE show which is based on drugs but Im sure it something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you do realise this is exactly what we have been doing, and for decades, we ve been doing the whole education thing, people are not stupid, they know these drugs are dangerous, they know they can kill, yet.....

what do you mean by this statement, 'most people seem to be incapable of doing anything unless it is on the tv'?

harmful consumption has existed since man walked on the planet, long before tv arrived?

martin cahil more than likely had disturbing disorders such as apd, such disorders are relatively common, particularly amongst criminal classes....

love/hate was a great piece of tv, kin is also very good, most characters would posse such cluster b disorders, again, common amongst criminals....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I think he goes on holidays in Belize. I met him once in Tulum on the Yucatan Peninsuala. Average build very polite and quite generous. His kids attend boarding school in the United Kingdom.

When I asked him about the murders and corruption he stared right through me with a look of disbelief. We spent the rest of the night discussing horse racing, the emergence of pan sexualisation , CIA influence on gangster rap development and the assassination of Princess Diana. He acknowledged the invention of the rifle most likely stifled the defense of modern India against the British invasion, he has never heard of the Nan Jing massacre.

He has a distinct interest in his children's future and has created a trust fund incorporating a property portfolio, including an entire apartment complex in central Paris. He laughed at all my jokes, especially the ones about his daughter. He arranged for 3 sex workers to accompany me home.

He says that without the interest of the CIA, and the security forces of the EU, UK and the South American anti drugs unit he would be completely broke, he cannot thank their fruitless efforts enough.

We have very very limited education on drugs in school. Tiny to be honest and not about the dangers. Never have.

In terms of TV, well the use of drugs are seen as cool on TV and people lap this up. Look at the start of this thread when our resident drug users was going on about bands and footballers taking drugs so it must be ok.

As I said, going in circle as you have provided not a single idea in term of making cocaine legal or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No real specifics there and again a totally different thing.

Who should be responsible for supply the drug, ensuring quality control? - This is the starting point.

For example is Cocaine legal in any country in the world? If so is there a company that legally manufactures it in the first instance?

..completely disagree, we had the drug talk in the 90's in school, plenty of lads i went to school with, went off and done even more, some still in it, some seriously in trouble with it.....

...ive never seen drug taking as cool, and i grew up around it, probably seen most drugs at this stage, countless offers, with some job offers in it to....

again, im pro legalisation....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I think, just my own unfounded presumptions now, the rise in cocaine has been a convenience thing. It’s in small packets, doesn’t smell or need to be smoked, you can take it anytime, let’s you keep drinking longer, give you a boost when you need energy, etc etc.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Also, in the IT podcast linked earlier in the thread, the interviewee mentioned the widespread social acceptance of it, no difference to smoking a cigarette or having a pint in a lot of social circles.

I was working in a pretty staid job about 5/6 years ago. Small team of about 20 so we had a Christmas Party in a Dublin restaurant and then into the pub next door. From dessert time onwards there was a steady steam back and forth to the toilets for about 6 of the team. Plenty of sniffing and nose rubbing and exciting antics after that. The coke heads had a great night but there ended up being 2 parties essentially.

Honestly, how do you combat cocaine use in society? You can’t, other than a Temperance movement and we all know how well they work.

The very least we should do is make drug testing kits freely available so people can see if what they have bought is safe and how strong it is.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement

Which again refer back to lack of education on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I'm not jumping to conclusions Pat but just asking the question!

How many journeys will this seizure make & how many people will oversee it.

How much of this will end up in a furnace as opposed to the actual find?

Don't suggest that there won't be a portion that goes missing!

Just out of interest. How were those drugs physically paid for?

Does the movie stuff with the black suitcase actually happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How am I scum. Just because I like to snort some of the good stuff doesn't make me scum.

Yes, my friend went to Spain with a briefcase and was double crossed. He got shot in the back of the head and 10 mil was stolen.

Would he not have brought some heavy lads to have his back?

I always have 2 on me and 2 following if I carry anything over 100k?

If I am collecting down the country I always have 2 or 3 on bikes to grab if we get outnumbered or cornered.

Robbing drugs is fascinating as a career path. It would never work for me, regrettably I have the appearance of a 7 foot 5th century Vampire Lord, fangs and all. Ain't no honest hardworking G going forget me, when I watch him piss his jeans while handing it over.

No wot I meeeee an .

I was in Amsterdam at the weekend and ordered coke, mdma and speed off a home delivery number and you really have to wonder why it’s illegal , it’s discrete, secure and efficient, I know Ireland is pretty much the same but you’d need to know someone

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

I'm not medically qualified to ensure quality control of any drug, legal or not. There are obviously others who are. Hygiene standards would improve. I'm sure you're aware of smugglers who swallow it in condoms etc and crap it out, that sort of unhygienic practice wouldn't have to happen if it were legal. I read about Gerry Ryan's death and there was worm powder mixed with his cocaine. I'm not a vet but I doubt that's nutritional. I also believe it was a mistake to close the head-shops.

Would he not have brought some heavy lads to have his back?

He called into a local weight watchers meeting but none of them wanted to go to Spain with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

The rise in the use and demand of class A drugs is, in my opinion, down to a demoralised population. Especially younger people.

It's a bleak old country for the young. Crisis this, crisis that, corruption left right and center, hard to find a shed to rent, possibility of relationships and families and children out the window with it, stress, stress, stress.

They've been well indoctrinated and innured against any kind of action or even complaining effectively.

You reap what you sow and the dirty b*stards that sold the country off should be hunted for sport.

Legalising for yet more ignorance-inducing drugs is no answer to problems.

iI sounds like a very sloppy outfit.

If I am meeting foreigners first time I will fork out for a hotel and a few queer ones. It gets trust going and if they don't like you and act the chunt you can always shoot him instead. Never do business with chunts that won't meet you. Like never buy any of those kitchen knife sets off the telephone, get him to hand deliver so you can batter him yourself in the comfort of your neighbours garden.

Feck all of us are "medicilly qualified" I would suggest.

So back to my question - are there any companies in the world that legally produce cocaine for a country where it is legally available?

You reckon those types of unhygenic practices wouldnt have to happen were it legal - where would it legally be produced and what level of international co-operation would be required to ensure the shipping of it be permitted for our specific market?

Ah yeah, closing a completed unregulated/quasi legal place for buying various types of "materials" was a serious mistake..........

There CAN'T be any companies that legally produce it BECAUSE it's banned, nor is there any country where it's legally available, that I know of. It would be produced in South America where the coca plant currently thrives. Level of international co-operation? Answer, USA, where the War on Drugs mainly started. Joe Duffy prides himself for helping to close the head shops, the same guy who ignored his own text poll that showed 62% in favour of legalisation of cannabis, the rest against in a Yes/No only option.

So globally there's no organisations producing cocaine to a scientifically verified and managed standard?

How do you propose that Ireland legalises cocaine then?

Seems a bit far fetched to say the least?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A super top dog search

Gardaí arrested two men after Revenue Customs Officers searched the horsebox that had come off a ferry from Cherbourg, France.

Gardaí said over 160kg of cocaine was discovered inside the animal trailer. The discovery was made with the assistance of Revenue’s mobile x-ray scanner and detector dog ‘Dáithí’.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 anonymouscactus

There must be labs that produce it legally for legal research purposes, no? Obviously they'd have to scaleup/license these systems.

Conversation about legalizing coke is pie in the sky without diamonds though. Weed will be legalized in Ireland way before that, IMO, likely as part of an appeal to the youth vote around the time of the next GE.

To exclude bad actors, and they are truly evil, especially in S and Central America, cocaine would have to be manufactured here or in the EU in licensed labs etc etc. Can it even be grown in Europe without expensive greenhouses?

All that said, I have seen regular coke use destroy personalities. I don't like it. And the trail of blood and misery the industry leaves in other parts of the world is just vile. For that last reason alone it should be illegal.

It's even more far fetched to say the War on Drugs can be won, from Harry Anslinger in the 1930s to Richard Nixon in the 1970s, up to the present day. 10% of illegal drugs are seized, in exam parlance, that's a massive fail. It "only" took 6 years to defeat the Nazis. Ireland could legalise cocaine if it was supported by an American President or a prominent advisor with more common sense than the two I just named.

Yes it is very easy how you can fund organised criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

The people taking cocaine are the problem , no ifs buts or maybes. F…ing idiots the lot of them . If the demand wasn’t there for it there would be none of the issues .

Another aspect of it that society should come down heavy on , is the involvement of a certain ethnic minority. It is an issue broader than their involvement with narcotics but the settled community needs to put the rogue element of the pavee back in their place .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement