Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭jj880

Unfortunately my Huawei hg658 router is not a V2 model where you can admin every mac address with its own bandwidth limit. My viewing of Happy Valley (great show) was derailed for 2 hours last night while an Apex Legends update downloaded for junior. Them feckers seem to like their massive updates. It could be argued its not the PS5's job to set its own bandwidth and anyone with such a caveman router should get with the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭jj880

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Been playing Forbidden West with Atmos and it sounds amazing, when it was raining the sound was coming out the height speakers, very effective. Also it doesn't introduce lag like the Xbox, makes a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

My TV have Atmos, so looking forward to the update!

It won't make any significant difference coming from TV speakers, in fact it might actually be worse. I don't know why Dolby allow Atmos branding on items like TVs and stereo soundbars but it just isn't the same thing.

If you are using a TV you are better off just leaving the output as stereo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Depends on use. The gain on Atmos isn't as high as stereo giving you greater control over the volume, this becomes an issue if watching broadcast tv though as the audio will revert to stereo during an ad break and makes them extremely loud. Also doesn't help Netflix and their awful audio mixes where they put the dialogue in the back channels.

Couldn't you just change the sound mode settings on the TV for a narrower dynamic range? AFAIK most TVs have an option to do this. It would still be preferable to taking a multi-channel audio stream and playing it through stereo speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

They have it on TVs as they probably have the decoders/software for the Atmos files but not the speakers to output it, so in that scenario you'd probably hook up a non-smart amp to the TV and you've got Atmos sound

In that scenario the amp would be doing the bitstream Atmos decoding, not the tv, again rendering the Atmos branding on a tv useless.

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My PS5 is connected up to a Sonos Arc, so really looking forward to the Atmos upgrade. How long does it usually take for things to go from beta to general release?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It should be available by the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Anyone planning on picking up the Red Dead Redemption re-release? The price point seems a bit ridiculous for a game with no enhancements, but at the same time I haven't played it in 10 years so tempted at the chance to jump back in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The price is indeed absolutely ridiculous for a simple port (I've no problem with simple ports, but price them accordingly), but if you do want to play I would wait a few days for performance reports before considering it. Rockstar doesn't deserve trust after the shambolic GTA Trilogy release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

That's the plan yeah, I bought Trilogy day 1 and felt a bit hard done by so waiting for initial reviews and feedback before anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,896 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was poxy to get a refund from sony after being burnt by the gta trilogy. Giving them no where near 50 quid for this. Will wait for it to be added to ps plus or steeeeep sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Wait for it to be available in CeX or Amazon Warehouse and buy it second hand, that way you get it slightly cheaper and no money will go to Rockstar to support this cash grab. It will be on disc in October.

There's some minor improvements to shadows and 4k is 30fps, not even 60fps. Cash grab of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

The irony is, I wouldn't think twice about shelling out full price for a port of GTA4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If it was done right, absolutely. The likes of the Resident Evil 2 remake is one of my favourite games and the polish and quality is top notch.

If we got GTA IV or RDR in the modern engine with current gen graphics and a few quality improvements it would be fantastic. They have the money and resources there...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't agree every re-release needs to be a full remake. I'm very supportive of archiving original works and remakes can significantly change the vibe, look and identity of a game (like RE remakes - as good as they are, they are in many ways entirely new games based on an old foundation). The original versions should still be available on modern hardware, albeit with minor refinements and tweaks to take advantage of updated hardware, more modern controls etc... It's also great when developers go above and beyond like the recent Quake 2 re-release 2 - the same game with a host of modern extras - but I wouldn't expect that treatment for every single game.

That said, charging full price for a bare-bones port is taking the piss (Quake 2 re-release was a tenner, in contrast). And not even boosting it to 60FPS on PS4 Pro / PS5 is the height of laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

I am just raging I never finished the Lost and The Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony DLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Rockstar is hoping on people like that, who will buy it anyway. They don't give two figs about the customer, they only want money. Anyone buying this straight port is feeding into the greed that is Take-Two, considering they own 2 of the worst companies, imo, right now (Rockstar and 2K). They will only learn if we vote with our wallets, but I know it will sell bucket loads anyway. Gamers are a weird bunch.

Talking about greed, 2K have announced that NBA 2K24, an 80 euro game will now include 2 paid season passes. In NBA 2K, a season lasts 6 weeks and there are 8 seasons where you unlock the most stupid rewards with something tempting at the top. They already have pay 2 win with their in game currency where the career mode punishes you (not fun to play) unless you buy VC to upgrade your character as earning it in game is absolutely painful (tik tok dance quests, skateboarding challenges, fashion walks and making rap songs). They also have the My Team card builder mode which is the usual money maker. And now 2 season passes, 10 and 20 euro per season. If this was a main stream game like COD, it would be all in the gaming news but as it's the only basketball game we get, 2K know they have bball fans who are desperate for a basketball game by the basket balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

They have folks jumping through hoops, you'd have to be a basket case not to see that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ye're the worst :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭a2deden

Has it gone back up in price, i thought it was cheaper but maybe i was dreaming lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Sony has also lifted the veil on some new official accessories. The company is introducing some premium wireless headphones named Pulse Elite, and a set of wireless earbuds named Pulse Explore.

Pulse Elite is an over-ear headset that offers "lossless audio", and comes with a built-in retractable microphone. It also boasts "AI-enhanced noise rejection", which aims to eliminate background noise from your voice channel. In the box with the headset comes a charging hanger, so you can store your headphones nicely and ensure they're always powered.

Pulse Explore is PlayStation's first stab at wireless earbuds, and they offer a similar experience to the Elite headphones. They feature dual microphones, the same noise rejection tech, lossless audio, and they come packaged with a charging case.

If they sound expensive, that's because they are. Pulse Elite will set you back $149.99 / £129.99, while the Pulse Explore earbuds cost $199.99 / £199.99. Details on when and where you can purchase them is coming at a later date.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

Advertisement