Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

The everything I disagree with is racist card, can only be played for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Just back from a couple of days away down the country.to me a lot of these people that are being taken in are either sitting in coffee shops all day or just begging on the street.

also was in a coastal location that I didn’t know much about but had heard of it.and the one place that did accommodation and food for visitors over the yrs not handed over to more of these people who seem to sit around all day .what a joke of a country where u now feel unsure of when walking around

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Anyone who thinks a large influx of refugees doesn't drastically alter the demographics of a country, need only look at what happened to Lebanon. Before the large influx of Palestinian Refugees (who were legitimate refugees fleeing from the Zionist expansion of illegally occupied land), where so numerous that the country's demographics shifted. It once was a Christian dominant country, and now is a Muslim dominant country.

Faith is a big influence/driver of culture and identity. So the Lebanon that was is now no more.

Not saying that this is happening here, but that it can happen, so is something to be mindful of when allowing in refugees/migrants... and that is coming from someone who is a migrant.

Post edited by 2Greyfoxes on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Noticed it over the last few days around Dun Laoghaire, Killiney, Dalkey and Shankill. Begging outside shops, they were never there before. Now you cant walk down the street without someone mooching.

What value does Ireland get out of this 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

It's been about two years since I heard anything from people in FF about going in with SF. Have I missed more recent stuff?

Willie O'Dea said he's resigning the whip if they go in to coalition again with anyone.

Since we're cycling through the coalition options there's also the one for which we have a precedent. Main party (SF here) plus just enough Independents to form a minority government propped up in a confidence and supply arrangement by FF. (Might be more acceptable to FF)

Of course we've no idea. That arrangement above took months to get in place and could have gone other ways.

What we can be fairly sure of is that there will be around 20 Independents elected (as in recent times) and as always they will lack any ideology. Their sole focus will be on reflecting the needs of constituents. And with 75% of the country feeling we've taken in too many immigrants and similar numbers of rural dwellers angry at the green agenda that's what the majority of these Independents will be voicing. Like their political lives depend on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Jizique

Pay our future pensions according to all the NGOs, but seemingly I am a racist nazi if I highlight that this is unlikely

Post edited by Jizique on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Good to see some measures from the govt in recognition of that portion of asylum seekers that are taking the piss to exploit our system.

Even they are beginning to wake up to the unnecessary strain we’re bringing upon ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What we can be fairly sure of is that there will be around 20 Independents elected (as in recent times) and as always they will lack any ideology. Their sole focus will be on reflecting the needs of constituents. And with 75% of the country feeling we've taken in too many immigrants and similar numbers of rural dwellers angry at the green agenda that's what the majority of these Independents will be voicing. Like their political lives depend on it.

Yeah but will they have a coherent, unified national policy on immigration, or will they each be negotiating on an individual basis to block reception centres or whatever in their own constituencies? This is another area where I think your substack guy is taking too much for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

As 17% of the population are non Irish I would say they are over represented in comparison and to rise given the influx of refugees !!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

Wow. I'm shocked. They actually done something right. There's a need to start taking many more steps in this direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Yeah but will they have a coherent, unified national policy on immigration, or will they each be negotiating on an individual basis to block reception centres or whatever in their own constituencies? This is another area where I think your substack guy is taking too much for granted.

That's a very good question about how much the Independent's problems with the local effects of immigration - the pressure on school places, doctors appointments, rental accommodation - would carry over in to criticism of national immigration policy. Is there a divergence there.

I suppose one indicator that Independents would see local questions as requiring solutions at national level is they already do this with green policies.

They want green directives changed and overturned as opposed to just having them ameliorated by buying people off at local level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Exotic food and a sense of moral superiority (Awaits somebody to equate random male economic migrants claiming refugee status with Ukranians fleeing war). Oh and pensions and repaying the world for our white guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Yeah I mean if even the likes of MacEntee are copping on it shows how far things have gone at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This is an area where the 'rural independents', if they are to have a serious influence on national policy, really need an umbrella group in place ahead of the next election and outline policies drawn up. Otherwise the big parties are likely to run rings around them in government formation negotiations, if things even get to that stage, and propose what sound like serious restricdtions on immigration that turn out in practice to be quite cosmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Excuse me if recently covered. What is the current financial situation for say a Ukrainian woman here of working age with two children? In terms of any weekly support payments. I assume accommodation is still provided free of charge by the state. What about meals & living expenses, are they paid for out of allowance or free? I think free postage of packages back to Ukraine has ceased? Any other benefits?

What happens if this hypothetical adult & 2 children rent private accommodation - is that paid or do they have to cover it fully.

And finally if the person above works part or full time hours, how is this handled? I assume their employer will have them on the payroll and deduct PAYE/ PRSI etc? Does the receipt of earnings remove entitlements to payment supports.

I'm can see there are quite a few variables in above but it would be informative to get a good steer after a year and more as to how typically matters are working out from a financial and supports pov for war refugees. Refugees I should add that we are right to assist on the basis that hopefully they can return safely as soon as possible.

Just the basic facts re above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

I read that here and noted this;

So of the 803 that this law affected, 697 (87%) ended up coming anyway. Or am I missing something

Interesting questions try Mattie Mc Grath if its not racist to ask . I wonder do they still get any form of free transport .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One I can definitely answer is on private rented accommodation. The government will not pay for any Ukrainian person to be accommodated in such a fashion - the cost would be prohibitive and the optics of the state handing over money to private landlords would be bad.

Thanks and that sounds like it should be the case. Be interesting to hear on the other points I was wondering about from those who know of such things. And there are/ have been quite a number on the thread. This sort of information should be readily clear as it's public money involved one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

They should immediately reject any that has a claim in another country or any criminal record even retroactively, and extend it to existing asylum claims that travel back to the country they claim to be claiming asylum from.

• Advertisement

The total cumulative number of arrivals (based on PPSN allocations) from Ukraine to Ireland on the 06 June 2023 was 84,613. This is a 3% increase compared to four weeks earlier (07 May 2023) and a 14% increase compared to the last report (12 February 2023 . They are still coming at an average of 500 per week .

Arrivals from Ukraine in Ireland Series 10 - CSO - Central Statistics Office

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/fp/p-aui/arrivalsfromukraineinirelandseries10/

I suspect its to prevent Ukrainians from moving to treasure Ireland for better benefits .

Visa-free travel for people with refugee status further suspended

extended suspension, European Agreement on the Abolition of Visas for Refugees (Council of Europe)

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/0b410-visa-free-travel-for-people-with-refugee-status-further-suspended/#:~:text=The%20suspension%2C%20which%20in%20effect,originally%20introduced%20in%20July%202022.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Type "refugee ireland" into the Google search bar and look at the "what others searched for" suggestions.

Some of the top suggestions include

"How much do refugees earn in Ireland?"

"Do refugees get free housing in Ireland?"

"Ireland asylum benefits?"

"How do I become a refugee in Ireland?"

This is all without any Internet history, no traceable ip, no influence or algorithm at play.

It suggests an awful lot. And who would be surprised?

The impact of this on the housing crisis alone is the worst kept secret in the country. Grab practically anyone off the street, anywhere, and ask them what they think. You already know what'll be said, whether shy and couched or straight and loud.

Going to end very badly, very, very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Who exactly is searching all that though? Could be easily lots of people trying to scaremongering.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

It could be all sorts of reasons, but one certainly stands to reason; the word is out across the planet as to how generous and, let's be honest, how stupid the Irish governance is.

I sincerely doubt there are a load of Irish people asking "how do I become a refugee in Ireland?"

As I say, there is nothing surprising about this, not the slightest.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Seems like you can't make up your mind. You just said it could be all sorts of reasons. Not sure why you are trying to backtrack to say its only 1 reason.

Terry Pratchet

Well can you advise of the current state of supports that are official?

"What is the current financial situation for say a Ukrainian woman here of working age with two children? In terms of any weekly support payments. I assume accommodation is still provided free of charge by the state. What about meals & living expenses, are they paid for out of allowance or free? I think free postage of packages back to Ukraine has ceased? Any other benefits?

And if the person above works part or full time hours, how is this handled? I assume their employer will have them on the payroll and deduct PAYE/ PRSI etc? Does the receipt of earnings remove entitlements to payment supports."

It's important to have accurate information, so as not to be exaggerating etc

You can find all the information here

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

Terry Pratchet

That hardly addresses my example - real figures for monies and lists of benefits in kind would be useful. Hopefully you know them? We heard figures being bandied about last year and special arrangements for Ukr refugees but it'd be good to know how these are working now in reality and what changes/ amendments have been applies.

I can understand if you don't know the detail as it's about as clear as mud for the average citizen.

• Advertisement

I don't have the knowledge to answer your questions. The information should all be in that site. You could call into a Citizens Information centre if you want detailed information that isn't there.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement