Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

She's a regular fill-in. She's a business journalist. And guess who her agent was (she left before this recent issue)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

...you will never see or hear from Dee Forbes again. There is a very dark and sinister aspect to this , that will never see the light of day. Was Dee forbes a naturally corrupt and rogue DG ? or was she corrupted into doing these frankly bizarre and nefarious actions? Have RTE and other powerful entities moved to bury the truth forever?

Post edited by sxt on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I could tell you a story about her, DOB and Trump that would not surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

That's pretty much what I said he said.

he should look for clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Yeah, It has all the hallmarks of a witness protection like program alright. Dee is probably now Todd frequenting the bars and living in a luxurious beach front property in the Maldives.

We're just continuing to womble around in circles.

IF....IF......The tripartite agreement is not part of the base salary and contract that he was paid for TV and radio.

Then yes absoloutley he can declare he took a pay cut because based on the contract he had for TV and Radio. He did take one

Because he's doing OTHER/EXTRA work for the money in seperate contract.

Not one person on this thread working for a company is willing to work for free.

It's a strange expectation to have of anyone else.

The problem with the whole deal is that it was not declared.

If RTE came out and said tubs is going to be doing work for Renault, no one would bat a bloody eye lid.

So the problem is clearly that it wasn't declared. That RTE tried to hide it.

That's the problem.

Not RT getting paid for doing EXTRA work.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was clearly a dishonest deception in his statements about pay cuts. That in your post you have get into semantics is demonstrable prood of this.

There was no real extra productive work. There was no new money for RTE in fact they blew 50k running this sham scam.

It was a sham by RTE to ensure Tubridy didnt take a pay cut. So yes it was part of his base contract.

If all that happened was Renault paid for extra work it would not be the same situation.

It all comes back to them demanding RTE guarantee the work. Even when there was no work!

So it was clearly part of his RTE remuneration.

Nobody was actually willing to give Tubridy extra money.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It seems that a few of you want to hear my Dearbhail McDonald story, and who am I to disappoint you.

Around 7 years ago the Indo organised and ran a security conference that concentrated on Cyber Security and I was there covering the event for one of the publications that I work with.

Dearbhail who was working for the Indo at was one of the MC's at the event and she was doing most of the interviewing.

A big coup for the Indo was one of the big names appearing at the event, Sarah Harrison the then editor of WikiLeakes and she was going to be appearing on a panel discussion.

On the day of the event at the last minute it was changed to a one to interview with Dearbhail McDonald and the interview was a bit aggressive.

I met Sarah after the interview when she was outside having a smoke and she was not happy with what happened.

I explained to her why her panel discussion became an aggressive one on one.

A few months previously DOB was planning an IPO on the US stock exchange and as he was a friend of the Clinton's, Trump went to town on him using info from WikiLeaks.

The said IPO never happened because of this and I told Sarah this was the first time DOB did not go legal and what happened to Sarah that day was the Maltese Falcon's revenge.

It's not dishonest.

If it's a seperate contract. For work other than radio/TV it's taken a cut on the salary declared by RTE.

How can you say there was no other work?

There's videos of the work. The fact RTE didn't make money doesn't make it not work.

Again, you're expecting them to behave in a way we don't expect of anyone else.

I expect my employer to pay me. I expect them to pay me on the days there may not be work for me to do. It's our contract. Me expecting that contract to be honored work or not is not some sort of "scam" it's what I agree with my employer. If I cost my employer money, I expect to be paid. If they lose money on my output. I expect to be paid. There's nothing "wrong" in expecting your employer to meet the agreed contract.

RTE agreed to underwrite the contract. They agreed to pay. Hail/Rain/Snow. So why wouldn't NK expect them to pay out? work or no work?

Someone was willing to give him extra money. RTE and plenty of it. They just went the wrong way about doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I see a huge amount of people on Social Media wanting Tubridy back. I think this is a major Catch 22 for RTE.

Social media. TV/Radio.

Apparently TD's are suggesting that sympathy from the public is siding with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

NKM insisting on RTE underwriting the deal it brokered with Renault is the giveaway here.

NKM said he wanted them to underwrite the deal in case the LLS sponsors changed. If Renault had been replaced by, say, Mattress Mick and Mick didn't want Tubridy doing side gigs for them why on earth should RTE have paid Tubridy for gigs he wouldn't be doing. (In fact, RTE did end up paying Tubridy for gigs he didn't do)

NKM account is risible. RTE's claim that underwriting the Renault deal was necessary to get Tubridy's 2020-25 contract over the line is much more plausible.

I've only glanced at Social Media but noticed a huge support for Tubs. Can't give an opinion on TV/Radio. I guess TDs need to be careful. Again, they can win & lost votes on someone like Ryan. I don't dislike like, I just don't think he's good on TV or Radio.

On another note, the Late Late Show had lots or RTE Canteen guests and Z listers. It's a shame some of that 2.2 million wasn't spent on quality international guests appearing on the show to lift the standard. Though I'm not sure how well Ryan would interview them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well also it's not for the state broadcaster to be arranging sponsorship deals for individuals. They have absolutely no place in doing that

The head of corporate said during PAC she brokered the deal and went out looking for the gigs

The CFO of RTE said he was aware of RTE looking to find ways to get RT more bobs.

NK cannot make RTE do anything. RTE decide what to do and how to do it. NK doesn't work for RTE.

It's NK's job to get something locked in. I've no problem with NK asking RTE to do anything. He can ask and request what he likes.

RTE needed to tell NK to go and jump

They didn't they failed at every step on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was no other work in reality. He was paid out for several years even though there was no events. Tubridy offered to return the money but no doubt will try to find a way to weasel out of it.

You dont seem to have been following events.

But there was no new money from Renault. RTE ran them. They were scam events run for no other purpose than to funnel money to Tubridy under the counter. Dishonest conduct by all parties. Tubridy and NK colluded in it.

It doesnt matter how many sham contracts RTE line up. It was guaranteed by RTE. It was confirmed by DG to Tubridy in writing - no pay cut!

It was all RTE remuneration. Irrefutable proof of Tubridys lies.

So entirely reasonable basis for RT and NK to be shown the exit door from RTE never to return. They collided in abuse of taxpayers money.

They had their snouts in the pork barrel long enough.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

100% they shouldn't have been doing any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Football is boring. No party without marty.

They had to pay out because the contract that they had underwritten deemed it to be! work or no work.

• Advertisement

Maybe you don't like the visual glamour, but I do.

I personally would love to hear her side of the story but I wouldn't trust her unless she has documentary evidence to back up what she is saying.

RTE dont want hear it.

RT/NK do not want her side heard.

She herself has nothing to gain either unless its a book deal as its a career ender.

The PAC? I wonder. I genuinely do. Are they relieved she is AWOL. Is that in their best interest? God only knows where it would lead.

if they took him back and months down the road more came out - BOOOOM - Bakhurst canned.

Square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Ahwell

No, that's not what you said at all. You were trying to duck the fact that Tubridy said he knew the published figures were incorrect and you're still trying to duck it here.

I think there is a lot to come out of RTE. This is a really tricky decision for government, Bakhurst etc.

Text you Answer to the mathematical question below to 1890 RYANTUBRITY

€420,000 plus €75,000 is?

a) €75,000

b) €120,000

c) €495,000

d) Ryan's Salary

e) None of the above

Texts are at the minimum rate of €897 each at 0% VAT.

Terms and conditions apply.

No barter accounts accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Exactly, and this is why the scenario presented by NKM/Tubridy seems implausible

Excellent negotiator NKM may be, but why on earth would he expect RTE to guarantee such a deal for five years? According to NKM, RTE were merely the brokers of the deal, Renault was the client. So why would he think RTE would underwrite the deal? The only real leverage I can think of that he could use to get RTE to accept such a ridiculous arrangement is to a threat to scupper the whole Tubridy 2020-25 contract.

By the way, I don't believe NKM explained why he looked for 75k for each of 2021 and 2022 since no gigs were done. Especially since Tubridy seems to now recognise the no foal no fee principle and is offering to pay the 150k back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement