Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If the comparison is still to the GAA, I think they'd act swiftly too if two players were filmed with enough coke for the whole team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Nonsense. We still don’t know what they done to the county players chanting IRA at young Protestant girls. They never disclose what they do, if anything.

francie how about saying. ‘Fantastic example set by Jamie Bryson’s band, Pity ‘we’ didn’t have leaders that would act so swiftly and decisively and show such leadership’ ?

Are you equating illegal drug taking to singing a song? They should be handing these guys over to the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I dont pretend all would be fine. I said I wouldn't have a problem with it but I think people in the south are getting less bothered by the union jack flying in the south anyway. There was a recent thread about this here on boards and most of the responses were of not careing but some did have an issue.

But some people use the tricolour as that national identity of being irish ( that what it was infact coined for in 1840) so when celebrating things they associate with Ireland like St Patricks day or an Ireland rugby or cricket match some fans will have it. But it is fine if someone uses something different.

It is very authoritarian to tell a person you cant use that symbol or flag to represent your identity. That authoritarian way is over thesedays...... freedom of expression

That’s a fairly naive position. The st Patrick’s day parade near me has a ban on participants using the Irish tricolour because they recognise it’s controversial

• Advertisement

Francie this is pathetic. Not prepared to admit they acted in an excellent manner.

And yes, I would place singing certain songs way above recreational drug taking. And I would include in that the scumbags in the orange hall who sung about michaela and the scumbags in the Tyrone County GAA bus who sung IRA at young Protestants girls.

but hey. If you believe that snorting drugs is worse that’s up to you.

Well it is participants of an organised event that that wont use it aspart of the events rules but not the spectators. Like the ireland rugby team itself wont use the tricolour or have it as a badge on the jerseys but the spectators will show up with it as they associate with Ireland.

I am not going to get into this silly discussion again. Suffice to say they do use it eg walking it on to the pitch at the rugby World Cup games. Pretty sure it also flies over the ground at home games.

You were blathering a few posts ago about people needing to toughen up about singing or chanting.

Now it’s worse than illegal drug taking.

You are melting my head 😁😁

I think this is excellent. Not one single unionist has reported this man to the Psni. Many thousands have saw the video and could report it on the Psni online portal, anonymously. And not one has

compare this to the the Sinn Fein team trying to provoke trouble at Ballycastle. And I note many calls from unionists on Twitter for the band to actually drop the allegations against the sf activist , with comments like ‘be the bigger person’.

• Advertisement

And what was a band with a UVF banner and dressed in black and tan uniforms trying to provoke? Peace and harmony.

Get a grip downcow, doesn’t surprise anyone that these yahoos get a reaction.

Well that is an issue between people who have a problem with the tricolour being used officialy at all Ireland events and the IRFU. Only the IRFU can change it.

Rugby fans compared with let say football fans tend to be from more upper class and more educated backgrounds which are not as sectarian so maybe the IRFU dont get many complaints about using it anyway.

Oh deary me. I think you will probably unite the likes of me and francie, fionn, perguin, etc etc. (and that’s some feat). seldom nowadays do I read such nonsense about the middle classes not being as sectarian as the working class. That’s me sorted 👍 as I’m probably middle class

Francie. I haven’t seen this flag, but I could be fairly sure it will have 1912 emblazoned very clearly on it so as it cannot be misunderstood as representing the modern day terrorist organisation. As for colour of uniforms, where will you stop. If they were rw&b you’d be upset, if they were orange you’d be upset, and we have already seen how upset you were when linfield had a crimson and purple shirt. Now it’s, what you describe as, tan and black. You couldn’t make this stuff up. What colours do you allow our community to wear? Can GAA teams wear whatever colours they wish? Francie you need to sit down in a dark room and reflect on how you are ducking and diving to try and blame everyone other than the sf perpetrators in ballycastle.

sure these videos you have would put this all to bed.

No downcow.

You add all the evidence, the previous behaviour that got them banned and what they are all about still.

The ‘1912’ UVF were terrorists too, raised to fight anyone including the British themselves who wouldn’t let Unionists get their way.

Their very reason for existing is to provoke.

GB is not a member of the RFU. Therefore the flag would not be used. NI doesn’t have flag and ‘Ireland’ is the rugby team NI residents are more than happy to support and play for.

It annoys downcow and a few others but thems the facts.

I think it fair to say sectarianism is more common amongst the lower class.

Are the 20ft high peace walls separating council estates or well to do areas of Belfast? They're seperating council estates where Celtic and Ranger jerseys and not rugby jerseys are the choice of attire.

So much wrong here I don’t know where to start.

the RFU are the English governing body - not sure the relevance.

GB doesn’t have a flag. The union flag is the flag of the Uk of gb & ni. Only one country gets a specific mention - and it’s OWC

the fact that ni residents are happy to play for and support ni, won’t stop me recognising that gstk being played is not inclusive and I will continue to work for its removal. Pity you can’t recognise the same re irfu. The union flag is no longer flown at OWC games for same reason

can’t remember what the other nonsense was

You have a serious misunderstanding or the representation of sectarianism on the island. I strongly recommend you do not measure it by walls and flags.

let me help you. Do you live in Dublin? Where would you see most black people assaulted or searched? I’m guessing working class areas. Where are the most racist people? I’m guessing not predominantly working class areas.

not the last few posts from francie. I would far rather deal with the sectarianism, due to lived experiences, in west Belfast - which is more open and honest, than deal with the sectarianism of the suits in irfu that demand only the trappings of one identity on the island will be included. The worst sort are those who think they don’t have a sectarian bone in their body.

They mean nothing. The ‘Union’ isn’t playing. That’s why you should get rid. Why would you or us sing the anthem used by England?

Re: the flag. The rugby team is not the UK it is Ireland.

• Advertisement

Why would England use the anthem used by ni?

I think it was periguins explained to you that the tricolour was never the official flag of the island. So you may as well use a Christmas napkin. Only difference is it was never the official flag of the PIRA

No idea what you are on about.

You created the problem singing someone else’s anthem. And using a flag that represents nobody that is a registered team.

Nobody bar a few has a problem playing and supporting the Irish team.

Francie, read again what you just posted

”You created the problem singing someone else’s anthem. And using a flag that represents nobody that is a registered team.”

this is exactly what the irfu are doing by using flag and anthem of one of the countries forming the team and not the other.

but I am tired of this old debate. I don’t even care that much as I don’t follow the team. I had reason to be at a few games that a friend was playing in. The other northeners I travelled with give me some solid advice. They said 10 mins before the anthems ‘ let’s stand up’, they said ‘you need to make sure you are not sitting when they play their song, and then you don’t have the problem of standing up for it’. Seems this is common practice amongst the northeners so watch out next time :)

I dont have misunderstandings. Sectarianism is more prevalent in lower/working class areas. Try and deny that observation and you're a fool.

I think the reason the IRFU can probably use the tricolour at world cup matchs without it upsetting the fans is because most rugby fans aren't from working class areas and wont get their knickers in a twist over a flag.

Are you more likely to see a union jack hanging from a window of a house in the working class Shankill road or the well to do Malone road in Belfast? There is an obvious answer.

The team is Ireland, we don’t sing anthems used by other teams or flags of teams not registered.

You do. You sing the anthem that the roi team rightly sing as it’s the anthem of the country they represent.

but I shouldn’t have got sucked into this again. Sure you just keep believing that everyone on the island loves the soldiers song.

and ittakestwo can keep believing that the people of the Shankill are more sectarian than the people in Hillsborough, and that the people of the Falls are more sectarian than the people of the Antrim road. I think his rational is that they don’t get nice holidays and cruises and that makes them sectarian

Honest question. As a catholic from Dublin would i be able to live on the Shankill road in 2023 without putting my life in danger? Answer no. Would I be able to live in Hillsborough? Of course with no issue.

It’s not a question of liking it. It’s not even a question.

The team is Ireland, it uses the anthem of Ireland and by way of inclusion uses Ireland’s Call. See the country name again?

Supporters and players are happy with this, no question about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Whatever about the rights of Sinn Fein's complaints, they have shown once again that they are not a normal political party. Instead of going through the relevant authorities, their councillor is taking matters into his own hands and seeking to provoke a violent response. Not a good look.

• Advertisement

The bullshit about the UVF banners called out. There is only one reason those banners are used.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement