Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

His tee to green golf has been v exceptionally good all season, his putting has only been in & out, so hopefully he finds form with those over this weekend & next!!

If that and his wedges hold up it could be his week!!!

P.s. and maybe his 2 weeks!?.....

Post edited by daithi7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If he left himself 140+ out on every hole he'd be unstoppable. It's inside 140 that he's not so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will need to make hay today, horrendous conditions forcast for tomorrow will not suit him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Glade to see Rory miss the birdie putt there. I want him to win but I don't want it over by Saturday afternoon.

You want him to win but you want him to miss birdies also?? OK! You do realise there's a storm incoming tomorrow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

And who do you think is best in that weather?

It's trending towards being over today. I'll have nothing to watch tomorrow afternoon. I'm happy to see him finish today with a three shot lead.

He only has a one shot lead it definitely won't be over today.

In tough conditions I'd have lads like Harrington or Lowry & Fleetwood who are only 3 shots back at the moment.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well that post aged well, it's a three shot lead now.

I watched Rory win the West of Ireland when he was 15 and 16. There was brutal weather, like ridiculous winds and hard rain and he was hitting balls, both fade and draw off the tee and sometimes starting it thirty yards offline to get it on the fairway. He's a ridiculous player in wild conditions.

And I'm not going to complain if Shane or Padraig come and win it. So long as it's an Irishman I don't care which of the three does it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

His tee shot on the 3rd was insane. The line he took

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Hangs on to lead by 1, anything can happen tomorrow with high winds forecasted and another early start. 6/7 shots back can still win and it's not a bad leader board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I suppose he can say the same about your post ageing well! 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,140 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hopefully he'll stick this out tomorrow but I won't hold my breath.

😁

He's still in front and as I said I seen him when he was mid teens besting all the experienced amateurs in the wind.

And tbh I'm not sure I want him to win it. There's very few who have a win the week before a major and won it.

If he's to have one win in two weeks I'd prefer if it's next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

It's kind of well known and acknowledged that Rory is not a relatively brilliant wind player. His natural high ball flight makes it more difficult to control in high winds and puts him at somewhat of a disadvantage against lower ball flights.

It was good weather when he won his open and he's been blown off course there more than once, probably most famously following up a 64 with an 80 at St Andrew's.

The future best golfer in the world beating guys not at his level in the West of Ireland is probably not the best indicator of his ability to play against the best in the world in high winds.

I hope he wins by 6 tomorrow!

Rory is always trying to hit the ball out of the ball park.

He is capable of hitting all the shots, low, high, draw or fade. Personally I think in windy conditions that the draw is a better play. Obviously keeping it low is optimal in high winds. Rory can do that if he chooses to.

I hope he wins every time he plays, I always want an Irish player to win. I'm not a Rory fan or a Shane fan or Padraig or Seamus. I'm a fan of Irish players. If Rory wins tomorrow and Shane finishes second that's a great weekend and if Shane wins and Rory finishes second it's equally as great.

I care less about this than next week. I want an Irish winner next week more than anything.

Rory struggling in the wind as expected, hopefully he can regain his west of Ireland form for the back 9.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

To be fair most of the field is struggling with the exception of Hatton and Mcintyre, who with the wind missed a 3ft putt. It's horrid out there.

Watch Fleetwood hit 18 pars and win it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Thats a great par save. Conditions really look awful

What a putt. Get in my son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That 2nd shot to 18 by Macintyre was something else....also delighted to see Hatton absolutely collapse

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭murtyd17

I think it goes to a playoff. I feel rory will find a birdie here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Rory missed his birdie chance on the par 5 16th. Shouldn't have missed it. It was straight but he started it out left. Needs a birdie at least in the last 2 holes to get to a play-off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Fantastic shot into the par 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

What a tee shot on 17, he couldn't have gotten it any closer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Beautiful tee shot on the par 3 17th. Similar distance for birdie again, if not closer. No good though if he doesn't make them. Going last off the tee helped, he learned from the other 2 shots, especially Fleetwood's.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Good putt after a nervy wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bob was definitely thinking "wee c***" there

Advertisement