Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'd argue that the first 10 years, or everything up to the infinity saga, set an unfortunate precedent, that everything must now feed into a big event or be connected to everything else / result in a big screen outing for every Z tier hero.

Mandalorian is a good example, it was going great as a standalone story, a look at another aspect of the SW universe, and then they ruined it by once again tying it into the skywalkers.

say what you will about the Netflix run with the defenders characters & punisher, at least for the most part, the stories stood on their own, with only an occasional cameo, rather than the sense that everything was being done in service of the inevitable team-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Cotts72

That's the issue with the series for me...they are short and have a slow build to the final episode . I feel they'd be better off with the netflix approach of longer series and episodes all released together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,197 ✭✭✭✭flazio

One of the more experimental series in Jeff Leobs time in charge of Marvel's TV output, Cloak & Dagger has finally been wrestled away from Amazon Prime and is now on Disney+.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Loved that show and the Runaways. Both felt a bit weird and quirky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cloak & Dagger was really good and well worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

to be fair, thats more likely due to a lack of confidence in it having the 'hook' to keep people tuning back in week after week if its underwhelming.

personally, I'd be much more inclined to try and get through 8 episodes in a week rather than in dribs and drabs. - at the moment I'm waiting on secret invasion to run its course before bingeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bob Iger just did an interview and said they'll be slowing down a bit on their output for big franchises as some of the recent offers have been disappointing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Makes sense. They tried to saturate the market between live action remakes, legacy Sequels, Pixar, MCU in overdrive and sure enough the market eventually started pushing back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I imagine a lot of that output in recent years was also to try and get subsribers to Disney+

Disney+ really hasn't taken off the way they would have wanted so slowing down is also another way of not spending money for content that the world isn't signing up for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The narrative implies they are releasing decent content just a little too quickly. Thats not it as all

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,905 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

as expected Ms. Marvel is to now be a mutant in the comics aswell returning to life thanks to the Ressurection Protocols.

Interestingly the 4 issue mini will actually be co-wrote by Vellani and the main writer from the TV Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

This just isn't true at all, what a nonsense statement. The best heroes lose. The best heroes have to make sacrifices. The Dark Knight is so great because Batman loses. In TDKR, Batman loses to both Bane and later is outsmarted by Miranda. In Spiderman 2 Peter repeatedly faces personal hardships because he selflessly prioritises his superhero life over his personal life - culminating in a mental crisis where he no longer has powers. He is humbled in the fire when he tries to rescue the little girl and she ends up rescuing him. He literally suffers every single kind of personal defeat imaginable. Empire is the best Star Wars movie because Han Solo and Luke Skywalker both lose. In WOK Kirk and Spock are completely outsmarted by Khan. Virtually every single iconic male character loses.

Like, Luke Skywalker actually has to train to get better at being a Jedi - he can't do everything immediately. He loses. He faces the main villain after a lengthy period of training in Dagobah and is humiliated, toyed with, embarassed.

Anakin Skywalker is completely outclassed by Count Dooku who cuts his hand off. He is beaten by Obi Wan. He consistently loses.

Compare that to Rey who is capable of just about everything from minute one with zero training. She defeats Kylo, she can force control, continuing on to the 2nd movie where she is clearly more powerful than Luke. Is it just Snoak that shes outmatched by? A miracle.

Usually with the female characters in these atrocities, they are great at everything immediately - inexplicably so, no training required, and if they actually manage to have a character arc - it's literally that they need to believe in themselves more, because they are just the bestest. They rarely if ever fail. There is no growth, no learning, no improvement, no defeats. There is no humbling, none of that.

You have a catalogue of characters who fulfill this criteria in Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm at the moment. It's boring, bland rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Kylo Ren was not count Dooku when Rey faced him, asides from being a former top Jedi and Sith Lord, he hadn’t been shot by a bow caster. Very Poor example.

Rey was abandoned by her family and left to scavenge her entire life on her own. That sounds like a reasonable hardship. It’s not growing up a billionaire orphan like Batman but I’d say a person who survives that learns a few things along the way.

But I will use the answer others have made:

• - Rey is untrained in the Force but not an untrained fighter. She’s a scavenger on a planet full of other scavengers. If she didn’t know how to fight, she most likely would not have survived. We know she has experience using a staff.

• - The idea of someone using the Force without training has precedent. Anakin was using the Force to pilot podracers with no training at all. It’s likely Luke did the same when flying his T-16. He also didn’t get any training on using the Force to guide proton torpedoes into a narrow thermal exhaust port or on how to use telekinesis to pull a lightsaber into his hand, yet he did these things. Even Leia was able to resist Vader’s mind probe.

• - Rey unlocked knowledge of the Force when her mind was linked with Kylo Ren’s during his failed mind probe. It’s not beyond belief to think she might have also gleaned things like what little he knew of lightsaber combat.

• - Kylo Ren was suffering from two injuries, one from Finn and a much more serious one from Chewie’s bowcaster. Seriously, how do people forget this? The movie makes a point to show us how powerful it is against armored stormtroopers. Then it makes a point to remind us of his injury just before the fight and even shows us it is still bleeding. Do you really think that doesn’t affect him?

• - Kylo Ren was also suffering some inner turmoil after killing his father. He expected to be strengthened by the act but instead he was weaker.

• - Kylo Ren himself is not fully-trained. We don’t know how much training he has had but Snoke remarks upon the fact that his training isn’t complete. Even with Luke, he was learning about the Force from a guy that got the Jedi 101 crash course. And while certainly some Jedi training transfers over to the Dark Side, there are also almost sure to be differences as well, otherwise there wouldn’t be much incentive to do it.
    • His skill or lack thereof aside, from what we see of Kylo Ren, he is also temperamental, arrogant, and reckless. He’s like a poorly-trained Anakin Skywalker. He got injured because he insisted on toying with Finn instead of just finishing him.

• - Kylo Ren was beating Rey for a good bit of the fight but remember that he wasn’t trying to kill her. He was supposed to bring her to Snoke. He offered to be her trainer. It was only when he gave her a moment of reprieve that she was able to take advantage of his unwillingness to kill her and turn the tables.

I read another poster write about how not only was Ren not trying to kill Rey, he actually was conflicted about her. Apparantly in novelisations snoke refers to it

It’s not that rey won the duel because she was better, it was that kylo lost it.

So it’s not simply “Rey knew everything”, it’s just that her story annoys some people looking to be annoyed and find reasons as to why it’s unique to other heroes.

Completely agree. The clearest way to look at it is Luke training with the lightsaber on the Millenium Falcon. Obi-Wan tells him to trust in the Force, to feel it, to let it guide him, and he's able to block blaster shots with the lightsaber without being able to see them.

Now, you still have to take into account what Luke is still able to do after that; he helps rescue Leia, manages to hit an access panel with a blaster shot from long range to close the door on Vader (not bad for a teenage farmer), becomes a rebel pilot (well, he did bullseye womp rats in a T-16 back home), and is able to hit the killing shot on the Death Star without the guidance system, just by trusting in the Force.

He did all that, with a few days training at best.

Rey is great at machinery because she's a scavenger; she had to learn about engines, machinery etc. She's a decent-ish fighter because she grew up on her own in a dangerous enough town. But above all else, she's an avatar for the Force.

She doesn't know how to use the Force, but she knows it exists, believes in it, and trusts in it, probably because she grew up so alone. She allows the Force to act through her. She allows the Force to guide her actions, just like Luke did in ANH. The Force is acting through her because the Force seeks balance, and she's currently the one who can achieve that, just like Anakin (the genius 10 year old slave who could fly a fighter jet, podrace, build C3PO etc) could. Anakin was the Chosen One, but that doesn't mean he was the only one the Force acted through.

She was being beaten by Ren in their fight, even though Ren was heavily injured, until he mentioned the Force. Then she closed her eyes and let the Force start to guide her actions. And even then she didn't beat him, just held him off for a bit.

And she wasn't more powerful than Luke in TLJ, Luke had shut himself off from the Force for many years and didn't want to use the Force. At the end he literally force-projects himself across the galaxy to where even Leia and Ren can't tell it's not him and becomes one with Force at the end. The most Rey does is lift the rocks away from the back of the cave.

Anyway, probably a bit of a tangent for the thread. But yeah I don't see how Rey did anything much more than Luke and Anakin did.

Wakanda Forever starts with Shuri, after saving Bucky and Ross in the first movie, failing to save her own brother, failing to save her own mother.

Yelena didn't save Natasha. Kamala Kahn wasn't perfect from the moment she put on the bangle, in fact she still isn't perfect going into the Marvels.

The female characters go through growths as well.

Not to mention Tony, the weapons designer and engineer, manages to solve time travel through quantum physics. Skills and knowledge between fields which are in no way comparable. Steve and Bucky are able to throw and catch the shield (which is strong enough to damage whatever it hits due to the metal it's made from) through their super-solider serum abilities, whereas Sam learns to do it bare-handed through his training-montage abilities.

All movie characters can do everything the writers need them to do. It's not a male or female thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think the key difference is that Anakin was using the force subconsciously, which is called out as a typical trait for force-sensitives. When we see him next years later he’s still trying to master his force abilities.

Rey starts using force powers like the mind trick consciously without any explanation that she knew that it was even a thing, and just seems to be able to do things without any instruction and no explanation other than a massive handwave of “the force”.

Anyway, I don’t think that she’s a Mary Sue, moreso a poorly written character in a poorly written trilogy. There are a host of examples of other character cutting(somehow palpatine returned etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Iger's comments need to be looked at from his perspective where the Disney+ shows are costing way too much and not bringing in enough viewers so it is to his benefit to cull some of them.

I don't see less shows/movies coming out as a good thing for viewers unless it significantly improves the quality of what does get release. I don't see any case for that to be an outcome of this, especially as Iger also doesn't see quality as being a big issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Echoing the film's own thread, I hope they commit to and make good use of what looks like a really fun, very sci-fi premise.

I'm going to hold off playing that until next Wednesday after the Secret Invasion finale in order to restore hope or get me hyped more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Bob Iger is some operator, he has a way of talking about something that he had direct influence on, while giving the mystique of remaining separate from it.

I'm not fooled by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

First Marvel film in a while I’m genuinely excited to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I've been waiting for it to be all out before watching but is it really that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

• Advertisement

It's not bad, only aggressively non-essential and mediocre; I've only watched 2 Episodes and it's just porridge. It had tonnes of potential but it can't properly commit to the espionage, spy-game mood the trailers hinted at.

At least something like She Hulk was extreme enough to create passionate opinions between those who hated and loved it; Secret Invasion is like 🤷

Advertisement