Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermarket equivalent of branded items

• 12-07-2023 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I’m looking for recommendations of supermarket own brand items that are as nice as the branded items to save a few quid!

For eg we usually eat old El Paso fajitas, lidls version weren’t great, Aldi are ok have yet to try dunnes.

I like the Aldi kania curry sauce over mcdonnells & Tesco tea bags over Lyon’s.

Would love hear of things others buy over branded items!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tesco wine gums.

They are a roller-coaster of a sweet. Almost every bag is different. Different texture, different flavours. At their best, they are simply the best winegum ever made and at their worst they are better than most. The excitement of opening a new bag to see have you won the sweets loto or are they weirdly chewey and strangely flavoured! There's even the occasional licorice winegum!

Added to all this is the fact that they often go out of stock for weeks or even months at a time. Even more excitement, wondering if any are in stock!

I'd love to know if Tesco have any idea how ridiculously inconsistent they are - literally, a completely different product from bag to bag. Mrs beer and I are addicted and probably wouldn't change anything about these bonkers winegums. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Personally, everything bar Barry’s Tea Bags. I was buying Aldi’s premium Tea Bags but quality was too inconsistent to depend on the most important moment of the day - the morning cuppa.

Mrs G! has quite a long list of branded items that she insists are better than generics. 3 or 4 times the price does not justify it imho but as they say ‘a happy wife is a happy life’. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lidl potato waffles, good as the Birds Eye ones but less than half the price.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

SuperValu bran flakes and corn flakes are way better than the original and much cheaper

Supervalu no added sugar baked beans - exactly the same as bachelors imo - same for their chickpeas

Tesco luxury toilet roll - 9 rolls for 4 euro (can't eat them I know!)

Tesco sliced cheddar cheese - seems to be the same producer code as Dubliner - much better than the LIDL one I find (possibly Charleville?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Centra Inspired sausages and Kearn's sausages are made by Mallons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 hightide

Tesco brand Yoghurt, Better value than the big brand. Taste is way better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

Many different labeled products are made in the same production facility. A few clicks of a mouse and the ingredients can change.

At last count, the Tayto factory in Ashbourne was making 11 different crisps including O'Donnell's, Tayto, King, Hunky dory, okie dokie, Mr perri (pub crisps) and own label.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Lidl or Dunnes own biscuits. As goodness any big brand and a fraction of the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

Lidl chocolate gingers are made by Borders biscuits in Scotland.

Utterly yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 6 greenblue22

We like the Tesco teabags in the red box, nicer than Barry’s!

• Advertisement
Advertisement