Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Thanks. I'm not sure if you can call to Citizens Information centres now, aren't most of them de manned and gone online, professional etc since Covid.

But I did find this: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving-country/ukrainian-refugees-in-ireland/social-welfare-supports-for-ukrainian-refugees/

So it looks like my example of a Ukrainian mother & 2 children (war refugees) would get €278 a week or €1112 a month or €14456 annually - that is basic job seekers at €208 a week and child benefit of €280 a month.

Also likely to be housed centrally with cost borne by the state. If renting privately, can avail of rent supplement. Can also get One Parent Family payment and other normal social welfare entitlements.

I'm not sure if food at accommodations is still provided free, was initially but then reported that all or partial payment would be needed.

Given that accommodation for mother & two children for Irish citizen here could easily be €1200 a month down the country, that's worth €14,400 annually approx. So all in all, I estimate my hypothetical family would have €28,856 worth of basic supports/ income. That would be roughly equivalent to an ordinary person earning about €40K annually. Am I in the right ball park?

What happens then if children are minded by fellow refugee or are in state school and mother works in local retail or hospitality etc. Does she retain the above benefits and top up or are they taken off the job seekers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If the above is correct, it's a very admirable level of support. As parent of adult children, struggling to get any sort of decent pay and finding accommodation too expensive - I just wish they could be valued in the same way by the state. But it is as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

"Admirable level of support" is one way of putting it.

I'd say more correctly Irish people are being treated as second class citizens in their own country.

Left wingers have also cottened on to this unequal level of support between the regular refugees (although I hate using that word) and our "friends from Ukraine".

If I had my way I'd restore a level playing field by sending every single one packing. Plenty of safe places in Ukraine and a lot of them return for holidays anyway.

Send the lot of them home!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Not all of them have a home to return to, due to you know the ongoing Russian invasion of Ukraine. Some of those people fleeing, are doing so because their lands have been taken off them... or reduced to a pile of rubble due to all the Russian missile strikes.

While Ukraine is a large country, not everyone will live in an area free from the terrors of war, so have no place to return to.

Not a hard concept to grasp really.

From bing AI on the question of whether Ukraine is safe

"Ukraine is quite safe to visit, except for the Donetsk & Lugansk regions (where the war is). The major tourist destinations like Kyiv, Lviv, Odessa, Chernivtsi, Carpathians are generally safe except for the pickpocketers. Some of the relatively safe cities in Ukraine are Lviv, Ternopil, Ivano-Frankivsk, Uzhhorod, and Chernivtsi"

Let Zelensky house them in a safe part of the large country he is a leader of.

• Advertisement

I see your point, however it makes sense for a segment of the population to flee and take refugee in a safe country not at war during times of conflict in their country.

If the entire Ukrainian population upped and fled, the Russians would just be able to walk in and claim it as part of Russia. Some people have to remain in the country to ensure the country functions. So while those areas may be relatively safe at the moment, there is no guarantee that they will remain as such. Conflicts have a nasty habit of spilling over into other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not our problem to be honest. We are seeing our own country be overrun with "refugees" and economic migrants at huge costs to our exchequer and massive pressures being put on our ability to provide basic services for our existing population, never mind anyone else.

Maybe Zelenskyy should be making more speeches at the UN or lobbying greater supports from NATO rather than touring and inviting celebs for photo ops.

When life is apparently going on as normal in large parts of the country, even to where tourism is available (unlike in many parts of our country now), there's ZERO reason for "refugees" to be here from a safety perspective, let alone more still arriving and being accepted almost 18 months later. It's a regional/localised conflict that has been largely stalled and could drag on for years yet - are we supposed to just keep the doors open indefinitely?

Then there's the chancers arriving via the UK, Belfast or safe European countries with a sob story, maybe no ID, or in the back of a truck - why are we entertaining this group at all? Straight on a plane back to wherever they embarked from.

Ireland has no history to answer for, no moral guilt to assuage, and certainly no obligation to ruin our own country to "save everyone else". My sympathy, charity and tolerance has been steadily eroded as the problems this approach has and is causing have built week by week, month by month. There's a big wide world out there that's far better placed to offer options than a small island on the edge of Europe with a population less than even one major city and a socio-economic infrastructure on the verge of collapse.

Unless they arrive here with a job waiting for them, and the ability to support themselves and find (and pay for) their own accommodation and bills then the doors should be firmly shut until we have addressed the myriad of problems and needs that the political leadership and NGO lobbyists have heaped upon the ordinary citizenry of this State.

Enough is enough.

Wait until they start canvassing and people's opinions are made very clear to them on this issue.

Just as we've seen a few times before (admittedly not often enough), the Government/politicians can and do change course if the pushback gets strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Got a source on that claim?

Every single poll I’ve seen published on the matter says precisely the opposite

Funny because that certainly isn't borne out with comments here and elsewhere, or surveys that have been done.

"Do you support refugees" is a very easy question to say "Of course!" to.

"Do you support refugees at the expense of your and your family's access to the same services and supports?" would be more accurate and result in a very different answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Unless those voters have someone else advocating a radically different immigration policy to threaten to move their vote to the canvassing politicians will just soft-soap them and pretend to take their concerns on board...

What you said was “Most people want Ireland to continue to support refugees and that trend will continue.”

Most people do not want this, as evidenced by numerous public polls

What you said is false

There have been a number of them actually

Here’s a recent one from the Sunday Business post

Fairly resounding indication of people’s feelings on the matter

It literally means they don’t want us to continue providing support at the current rates of arrival.

I never said anything about people not wanting provide support full stop.

Anyway I’m not sure I’ll bother much further, whatever facts I provide you’ll use your mental gymnastics and disingenuous sophistry to ignore the reality that you’re refusing to accept because it doesn’t match with your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

But it's still an important distinction in terms of identifying the gap between what people want and what is actually realistic.

I think most people can, at a minimum, understand that the reality of a war on the European continent is going to invariably increase the number of refugees in Europe quite significantly — which in turn increases the pressure on our system (given this is our first experience as a nation of receiving such a large number of refugees). In these circumstances, it's one thing to say that we should help...but a different thing to entirely to say that we should help in a way that is perfectly manageable, detects all chancers, avoids taking in anyone who might go on to commit a crime, achieves only all-positive outcomes for Ireland and is absolutely fair to Irish people all of the time.

And it seems that this is where the rationale of many of the posters on here is based — an unrealistic view of what handling a refugee crisis actually means in practice and a belief that our efforts must only ever be pitched at a binary option of either doing nothing or doing something so long as there are only positive direct outcomes for Ireland.

From the video above Lagos, one city in Nigeria, has a population of over 15 million people! That's over three times the entire population of Ireland! We're only talking about one , JUST ONE, city in Nigeria.

Ireland is no position to solve the problems of just one of the the source countries of migrants never mind the myriad of places they are coming from.

We're not even getting the poor or destitute of Nigeria. In the main it's the middle classes who have the money to make the journey. (A journey that's never direct and involves changing planes in European cities).

The whole thing is bonkers and completely senseless.

Out of interest, what do you think is actually informative about this for the purposes of this thread? Like personally I watched that and see nothing but a guy who is (a) informing the world that Africa has some huge cities when I'm not sure it has ever really been suggested otherwise by anyone and (b) adding a subtle and hopelessly daft suggestion that somehow the existence of these cities is indicative that the Africa we have been told to feel sorry for doesn't actually exist...or something.

It's not like these cities are riding high on the quality of life ratings or are peaceful well-developed places where no person would ever face credible danger or conditions that would compel them to leave . . .

Mmmno you’re being reductive - framing the discussion as a dichotomy of only either our current (malfunctioning) system or a completely unattainable and unrealistic system.

You say it’s binary, but I must say I haven’t the slightest idea of where you’re getting this from.

The majority of opinions I’ve encountered on the matter are in favour of maintaining a degree of support but just not to the level we are currently engaging in (which is excess to our capacity).

We’ve already taken in a huge number of people in a short time, particularly for the size of our country. Even if we were to entirely shut the doors to new comers and maintain helping the existing people that have already arrived we’d still be doing a lot to help.

Exercise our opt out as Denmark did, get our heads above water in terms of service provision for our citizens and then we can reassess when we are in a better and more realistic position to provide substantive help in addition to what we’re already doing.

Ukraine is our problem. Countries no longer exist in isolation, we now live in a world of unparalleled trade networks and globalisation. Ukraine produces 6% of global calories, it is important. That 6% may not seem like much, but a lot of the grain produced in Ukraine goes to the likes of Ethiopia, Yemen, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Pakistan, Eygpt, Kenya and Djibouti to name a few. Those countries are dependent upon the wheat from Ukraine, without it it will lead to more mass migration from those countries... something which I don't think we can handle or deal with due to the cultural differences.

This is a bit like how Brexiteers voted to keep out migrants, and as a result it has caused a sharp increase in migration from non EU nations.

Sorry, but Ukraine is important to us, yes we need to be reasonable and pragmatic with the number of people we let in, but I'd rather people from a compatible culture, than those from a vastly different culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Did you not know they had cities in Africa?

Not sure what it has to do with this thread though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Did you?

Theres still this lingering narrative that Africa is just a dystopian desert, and that Europe is the only way out.

That we're their only option.

Meanwhile; megacities, high speed rail, and megaprojects throughout Africa/mid east. One of which is a 1km high skyscraper vanity project. Let them go live in that.

Yeah, theyre not all paradise.

But whys that my problem.

If 10s of millions can make it work in dozens of different African countries then the options are clearly there.

Find your new home or asylum in Johannesburg, or Luanda, or Lagos, or Kinshasa, or Addis Ababa, or Cairo, or Giza, or Istanbul, or any of the other closer workable options. 10s of millions are living in those places without any need to go to Europe, so why not you.

Being a refugee is not dependent on whether someone lives in a city or not.

perhaps you're shocked that a continent as big as Africa has many diverse countries?

I'm not sure what your point is? Just that people from Africa should stay there? How do you feel about refugees from other continents?

Not at all, I think any system is capable of improvement and I think Ireland's system has to improve to take account of the fact that our status as a wealthy country will bring more refugee and asylum applications — not to mention the fact that this will not be the last humanitarian crisis we ever face. My point is simply that it is foolish to expect that our system will ever not be prone to some abuse and that the intake of refugees, particularly in times of a crisis, will perpetually be an exemplar of perfect management and exclusively beneficial outcomes for Ireland.

Citing Denmark is all well and good, but it has to be remembered that Denmark's opt out came after having contributed a lot to the handling of refugees over the years. Ireland certainly has more of a valid justification to decrease the numbers it has taken — but this has been an emergency situation despite the apparent view on here sometimes that its some sort of deliberate long term project to continue taking in refugees at the same number we have seen since the beginning of the war in Ukraine.

I was questioning the moral reasoning that has someone fly over a few megacities filled with 10s of millions of people getting by daily on one continent, only to land in another continent, with the expectation of better suited asylum there.

Perhaps you dont like people knowing just how urbanized and developed Africa is. (And the mid east).

So you can keep up the crap outdated narrative that pulls on the heart strings of the unaware and easily led. Instead of letting these same countries, which can spare plenty for their ample military budgets and megaprojects, take on their own issues.

If I had the spare time and cash i would be lucky to holiday in some of the places migrants ignore or pass through en route to Europe.

'Perhaps you dont like people knowing just how urbanized and developed Africa is. (And the mid east).'

If people don't know anything about Africa, that's their own ignorance, I'm not sure how you could imagine that they don't!

What moral reasoning exactly would stop people coming to Ireland? I don't doubt for a second that they have some ties to here, family/friends/someone they know here already. Why do you think they come here instead of another country in Africa?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Here's a refugee camp in Kenya.

Given the price and yearly wage in many African nations, I'd guess many of the people who can afford a ticket to Ireland are wealthy enough and would rather seek asylum in Ireland than Kenya?

Yes, I would imagine not too many would fancy that, or this one in Algeria

If someone had links or connections anywhere else, I would imagine they would try to go there, rather then refugee camps.

Ah right so we’re only interested in democracy when it coincides with what you believe. At least you’ve dropped your facade that this is something the Irish people want.

There’s an unsettling authoritarian whiff off your posts. Do you realise how you sound?

• Advertisement

That’s because amongst the mainstream parties they’re likely afraid to take a harder stance on the matter due to the homogeneity of stance amongst the media and very vocal ideologues on social media.

Even very moderate commentary will attract vitriolic groups labelling the transgressor a “racist” and all the other usual and predictable epithets. Look at the hysterical reaction Holly Cairns garnered after making a fairly reasonable tweet commenting on the lack of engagement with communities having asylum seekers bussed in overnight.

They’re not going to publicly stick their heads above the parapet. It’s too risky in the current media environment. Which is also a bit of a worrying trend. Nobody wants their words twisted and to have themselves conflated with the fringe nut jobs in the IFP or NP. Which is precisely what our increasingly less objective and disingenuous media would do.

The election is still a while away. Wait till they start talking to people on their doorsteps, where they can express their opinions openly without fear of committing wrongsspeak. I won’t be surprised at all to see it becoming a more prominent public issue then.

Advertisement