Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Course they did.

Sure they've been asked for more documents than you could shake a stick at.

Nothing seems to ever show up.

Pitty Micheal O'Leary wasn't offering his services as he seems to offer them everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am talking about Oireachtas committee meetings long before the Tubridy money issue. The TDs complained that they had asked questions and requested details but never got any answers - just poor mouthing from RTE looking for money funding.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yeah that's what I'm referring to

In the first PAC meeting they referenced documents that had been requested months before non related and were never provided.

Why would they bother if nothing ever comes of them not providing them?

Don’t be silly emmet , I’d anything it’s not real world as the results are usually ultra liberal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I dont think Tubridy is finished in Ireland...

He should be 100% done with RTE....

....but i could foresee the likes of Newstalk shoehorning him in somewhere at a knockdown price....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Hardly surprising. Always had the feeling at a board level it was the attitude of

Get in, stay long enough for a pension, go on as many junkets as possible, take a package and walk out the other door

Yes plenty of silly people in Ireland believe his lies and think it was ok he was lying to the public while taking tax payers money for work he never done. To make it all the better he won't give that money back

Lovely guy isn't he

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Will be very interesting to read what Coveney and O’Leary’s were, but they won’t be released for a long time I assume.

I'd say it will be more to do with his employer who falsified income statements. Hid payments in barter exchanges etc owning up to the fact and putting the man they tried to throw under the bus back in the "hot seat"

Thought he stated he was willing to give the money back? When did he say he wouldn't?

• Advertisement

He was very careful how he worded that. He said he would if someone asked him. Contractually RTE can't ask him. Sneaky Tubs

He got money from the tax payer/tv license for work he never carried out and its sitting in his account and he won't give back.

If he was any sort of person he would hand it back or at least give it to a charity. But that's not Tubs. But continue on telling us how great he is.....🤯 you must love all the people robbing tax money in Ireland

I will be astounded if that happens. It would send a terrible message and I cannot see anyone wanting to work with him. I think it would sink RTE even lower.

I'll send @ButtersSuki 160 Euro if Tubs get back into RTE. Just to ease the shock! 😂

Anyone paying the license fee going forward is condoning corruption, greed and waste until RTE is cleaned up and the truth is revealed.

Cool! I take PayPal, Revolut, Bank Transfer, or good old cash!

I’ll PM my details shortly.

Any other takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

"didn't bother" 😂😂🤣

This is much bigger than Tubridy's Renault deal or the barter accounts. The Sunday Times says it amounts to €2.3 Million and especially the deal for the Chief Financial Officer who got €400,000. Was she the bailiff who turned poacher?

No wonder Noel King's clients are jumping ship. It seems he couldn't engineer any more special deals for his "top talent" although the execs were looking after themselves.

The money is partially funded by the license. 35% of the fee was wasted on RTE underhandedly using a barter exchange.

According to posters here Kevin doesn't see the payments as separate to his tv/radio contract.

If that's true. The work was done.

If it's not true and the agreement is separate then his salary cut is true.

It seems some want to flip the story around depending on what point they want to make at a given time.

Everything can't be true at the same time. One leads to another.

I don't think I've said he's great at all. In fact I've stated many times my disdain for the man.

Considering I belong to a PAYE group paying some of the highest taxes in Ireland. Then no I wouldn't be fond of people "robbing" it

But I don't belive that to be the case here. Unless you're referring to RTE Wasting it.

Butters has been highlighting this waste and greed and corruption and arrogance and control for many years. He deserves a medal and yet we have posters on here every day trying to bait him and get him banned.

RTE is funded by the license payer and then by tax payer when it over runs budget. So even if money came from commercial it doesn't matter because they are not running at a profit

His salary reduced, which we told everyone about, at the same time the exact same amount was been funnelled to him via this barter account.

Tubs has taken tax payer money and has it sitting in his account and won't return it.

Yet you are hear defending him, in that big long post at no stage did you mention Tubs returning the money. Broken record comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭creedp

See for me this is the big issue. Don't condone in any way was RT did but the common denominator here is the RTE non executive and executive boards

If the dodgy deal was to pay him his "normal" salary for the radio and tv in an underhanded way. Then he was entitled to the money. Doesn't need to give it back.

If it was a seperate commercial deal under written by RTE e.g. events carried out or not. Then he was entitled to the money. Doesn't need to give it back.

Eithier way. He stated he would give it back. I don't know if he will or not. Nor do you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, it's obvious Bakhurst wants Turbridy back. The only sticking point will be Noel Kelly, that's why he mentioned the need to have a long conversation with him. The only thing that may sabotage his come back is if Dee decides to throw some grenades into the room, but she will be implicating herself if she does, so its not going to happen . So It suits all sides for her to keep quiet now.

Spot on.

I'd say Dee is up to her neck in this so I can't imagine her mental health getting better anytime soon.

No doubt Bakhurst will "barter" on the NK side of the house. But I can't see RT dropping him off the bat. I'd say it will come out down the line and can see other RTE "talent" stepping away from him as lottie did.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

I 100% agree, in my small social circle, my wife, parents, wife's parents, 2 sisters, my mother's friends, around 6 of them, all in their 70's and 80's, all of them belive Ryan has been treated terribly, that he was their for all of them during covid, they all want him back, and back he will come. His target market is not the outraged tax paying 20 to 50 year old, sick of this crap going on time and time again with nothing changing. His market is the 55 plus, who don't think they have any skin in the game, and simply don't care about how much money he gets. He will be edged back in a drip fed motion to judge the mood, with soft interviews on radio and TV, then the one off 1 hour special on Jfk or something, but sure enough he will eventually get back to some live TV format, probably a mid week show, all the while continuing to pocket money that we will never know about, as a means of apology to what rte have put him through, and so the circle continues.

Edit, sorry this was in response to RT coming back to RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Just to be clear, the scandal here is not that RTÉ execs were being paid massive sums to go away. Bizarrely, it has become normal practice in many top-heavy organisations to pay off top execs and get someone to do their job for half the money.

Or even leave their job vacant (how long can RTÉ survive without a "Director of Strategy"?😉)

No, the scandal here is that these execs were replaced by others on similar, inflated salaries. The value for money report which the Department of Public Expenditure wanted could have been done in an hour on a small spreadsheet i.e. salary/perks of each exiting executives plus total exit package minus salaries of whoever is doing their work (if any).

But that information was never going to see the light of day. Until now!

I would add one further question - where did the exiting executives go? Did they get jobs in businesses related to RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Plenty of easy listening stations in the UK who wouldn't give two hoots about the

Tubs may not have a glowing natural broadcasting talent but he is competent and vastly experienced. Plus the Brits have always had a thing for 'posh paddies' like Anthony Clare and Eamon Andrews. I'm sure there's a gig over there for him somewhere like

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts (and replies) deleted for breach of Site Copyright Policy

A maximum of one paragraph may be quoted from copyrighted articles and a link to the original must be provided

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

You're right of course limnam. If Tubridy/NKM want to join with RTE in what Eamon Dunphy (and Marie Sherlock I believe) called a "grubby little deal" that's between them and their consciences.

However going before an Oireachtais committee and claiming that the "Renault" deal was separate from Tubridy's 2020-25 contract negotiations is an altogether more serious matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

And don't forget the children of Ireland without their toyman.

Sickening level of bile he spewed at the PAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

Tubridy wants to come back.

He can't understand how this is up for debate,I mean this is a man who has never been told no in his life.He can't understand how he can't solve this with words (from his heart and soul)

I think KB will take him back,the price for this will be cutting ties with NK and paying some money back either to RTE or charity.

This is obviously a travesty but I won't be too upset.There won't be a day goes by that somebody won't remind him about it for the rest of his life.

This whole scandal defines him now, not the fake kindness or empathy or self awarded Toyman moniker.

• Advertisement

Jesus This Week on RTÉ Radio 1 doing a vox pop on should Tubs return. guess where they did it? Ballybrack, South Co. Dublin. Talk about biased.

Still split about 50:50 though…and even still the host said “it seems the majority want Tubridy back” - which is a laughable summation of those very same vox pops.

Fintan O’Toole on now to counter this propaganda a little, but not offering much by way of resistance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement