Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Surely the bulk of the FF + FG parliamentary parties would prefer a non Green coalition also. I can picture lengthy headaches among rural FF + FG backbenchers taking on slack regarding Green Party incompetence in the lead up to the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder would those backbenchers find the SDs much of an improvement, if they are the main alternative. They sometimes come across as more Green than the Greens, and ultra-woke in other ways...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Pick a small party, stick it into a coalition and it will crumble and maybe die. The small party always ends up getting blamed for all issues. Doubt me? just look at the history of the small parties in government

The Independents have no care for what happens in Ireland, if the housing crisis ever gets fixed or if the HSE gets resolved. They just want to get elected, sit back for 5 years making as much money as possible.

We should ban the Independents at a TD level. If they don't want to join a party with a manifesto etc they should stay at county councillor level when they can kiss the babies and go to funerals.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In the current scenario, they could bring home a list of easy local wins and keep at their constituency work. And the rural ones can now come home with the “I kept the Greens out of Government” also.

Jackie Healy Rae, Michael Lowry, Finian McGrath, Mildred Fox etc all have been re-elected after giving various support to Governments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Not a hope in hell and you know it.

The Greens may not get a single seat. Certainly less than 5.

Aren't you a Green? 😉

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Greens are dead in the water. The June 30th Phoenix had a piece on the June Eurobarometer poll:

"The most recent Eurobarometer survey asked voters in Ireland to list what they consider to be the two most important issues facing the country. Housing (52%) the cost of living (51%) and health (35%) topped the list, with environment and climate change on just 4%."

They're polling at even worse than that as a party in polls these days too, down as low as 2%. They're going to get eviscerated in the next election, the Irish electorate just has no appetite for their very expensive agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Well said Blut2.

Sooner Ryan & his tax everything party are confined to history, the better.

I actually think its a shame. Theres a huge opportunity for a theoretical Green party in Ireland that pushed positive/helpful environmental policy - accessible loans for home solar panel installation and EV purchase for every household, loans for household BER renovations, funding to rapidly electrify our public transport and other government vehicles, huge investments in green energy generation etc.

Almost everyone in the country would be completely on-board with all of that because it would improve the quality of life for everyone at the same time as reducing our carbon footprint.

But instead the Green party we have has focused on punitive environmental measures - increasing taxes, opposing household energy grants, reducing our national herd etc. All things that reduce our quality of life, damage the economy, and increase the cost of living for people.

I think it comes down to their very upper-middle class, urban, university politics leadership and support - they're just out of touch with what the vast majority of the country actually wants, and don't care to learn. They're happier to lecture the electorate on how wrong they are, and have hemorrhaged support, and even had a party split, as a result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I dunno, I partly agree. But I think there is a lack of acceptance that a green transition will ultimately likely cost money. Potentially not in the long term, but definitely in the short term.

Also punitive measures work, that's why they are consistently used.

But by focusing on punitive measures all the Green party has done is completely destroy support for themselves in particular, and seriously damage support for environmentalism in general, in Ireland.

If after the next election we end up with an SF/FF government, or an FF/FG/Rural INDs government, how much progress do you think will be made on environmental issues? Both of those governments will have major incentives to put things on the long finger.

The Greens (and environmentalism in Ireland) would have been much better served focusing on positive measures, and growing support for themselves and their cause by doing so, by actually improving people's lives while reducing our carbon footprint.

Plus theres the whole practical moral argument - whats the point in chasing long term environmental goals to benefit people's quality of life if your punitive measures also seriously harm people's quality of life right now as a result? Thats why the Greens already had a split, because so many of their younger members felt they weren't doing anything to help the poorer parts of our society.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think they partly had a split because some of them didn't want to face the reality of governing either and frankly wanted to pivot away from any actual "green" issues.

I don't really see what the Greens have done that has actually seriously harmed anyone's quality of life? The Dept of Transport initiatives are chugging along (they have in fact made good progress in electrifying the public transport in Dublin with a lot of EV bus purchases and there is the Dart+ program). They are focusing on green energy in terms of wind quite strongly. Our transport emissions are still horrendous, but that's a particular poison pill they've chosen to not really touch - which makes sense given the uproar any kind of restriction on car usage brings down. We have been missing our emissions targets consistently, and while we finally hit it last year I'm not sure how sustainable it is going to be. They are also getting a lot of flak for things that previous governments have signed up to tbh.

Ultimately I think they have been moderately competent if unambitious. I would hope there is something a bit more exciting in the next budget with the surplus.

One massive criticism I would have of the Greens in Ireland and more generally, is that dense urban living is by far the greenest way to live and they generally either don't make a good point of this or actively oppose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am no big fan of the GP, but what taxes did they increase?

Please be specific in your answer.

The only tax I can think of is the carbon tax? That was introduced in 2010 by FF and the GP.

They've single handedly cost every household in the country 500-1500eur of their net income in the year 2023 alone. At a time when a lot of households are really, really struggling with the cost of living crisis. Thats hugely harmed plenty of people's quality of life.

First, they blocked a 4th €200 energy credit for every household in the country[1]

Secondly, they're also the only party lobbying for increases in the carbon tax. Without their presence in government, the increases would have been delayed. [2]

Thats in this year alone. They have a strong history of wanting to introduce other taxes or implement policies that would increase the cost of living over the years too - taxing cheap clothes, additional taxes on vehicles, reducing the national herd etc. Its very consistent.

[1]"The Green Party will seek to block the introduction of a fourth €200 electricity credit this summer in crucial talks on a new cost-of-living package for households, Independent.ie can reveal."

[2]"Green Party leader Eamon Ryan has vowed that a planned hike to carbon tax must go ahead next month despite the soaring cost of living.

As backbench TDs from Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael revolt over the planned increase, Tánaiste Leo Varadkar said nothing can be done without the support of all three parties in the Coalition."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/planned-carbon-tax-hike-will-go-ahead-despite-soaring-cost-of-living-41517515.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Catherine Martin sure knows how to do her expenses. She got tips from Dara Murphy (Fine Gael).

Catherine Martin says high mileage claim was made in error (ontheditch.com)

Green party minister arts minister Catherine Martin says her unusually high, tax-free, ministerial driving expenses claim for August 2021, a month when the Dáil wasn’t sitting and her diary showed only a handful of ministerial engagements, has been "rectified".

Martin’s ministerial diary for the month suggests just less than 200 kilometres of driving while her mileage claim was for almost 4,500 kilometres.

---------------

No wonder FFGG blocked the reform bill.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Carbon taxes don't affect you if you reduce your carbon consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

We do need to reduce the purchase of cheap, throw away clothes.

We do need to drive less & to reduce the herd, in order to hit our climate targets.

I am not saying the Green Party are fantastic, but the points you raise are linked to societal changes that are unavoidable.

Reducing their carbon consumption to zero is not exactly a feasible option for the average household in Ireland that enjoys things like eating food, not freezing to death in winter, and traveling distances greater than cycling distance.

My point is that the same (or much greater) carbon reduction benefits would be attained by engaging in positive policy like the ones outlined in my post above. Instead of reducing a struggling working class family's carbon footprint by making them unable to afford new school uniforms for their kids would it not be better to give them a loan to improve the BER rating of their house?

Its possible to engage in substantial carbon reduction while at the same time actually improving people's lives. Our Green party however has chosen punitive taxes instead - which is why they're now polling at 2-4% and facing electoral wipe-out.

its not feasible for the govt to pay for everyone to upgrade their homes.

Home upgrades arent relevant anyway to culling the herd or too many people ordering cheap clothes on amazon.

Those things will be trimmed because they have to be, from an environmental viewpoint.

Greens, or no Greens.

It will be interesting to see a FF led coalition in the next Government. I do think they've carved out a strong future under the tutelage of Martin.

The bright young pup of FG, Eoghan Murphy was thrown to the wolves by both sides; but a more calm reading of how we dealt with housing will show that he and his department were entranced with consultants and advisors. The bloated fat of capitalism.

Darragh O'Brien will be the next leader of FF.

No they can't, unless you want to stop building any public housing and cut social welfare by 20%.

The carrot is there in the form of existing grants, but the stick of higher carbon taxes is needed to drive change. FWIW, I think carbon taxes are too low.

Greens won't be wiped out, just you wait and see.

• Advertisement

The government is currently literally sitting on billions of euros earmarked for housing that it can't spend. There would be absolutely no issue assigning some of that to BER upgrades or solar panel loans that improve our existing housing stock.

Home upgrades and EV loans are incredibly relevant because they would do far more to reduce our emissions than taxing cheap clothes. Which is the actual goal here, no?

Millions is already assigned to the SEAI system.

The problem is that system is designed to favour the contractors and not the home owners. The government has to be aware but doesn't seem to want to resolve.

By the way I haven't seen any of the opposition come up with an alternative

Complain all you like, but there isn't enough money to do what you want. In fact, the carbon taxes you are so against are paying for the current level of grants for home insulation etc. If you want more money to improve BER ratings, then they could be financed by increasing the carbon tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So there aren't enough construction workers to build homes, but (if only something something Green Party something something) there would be loads available to do BER upgrades and install solar panels?

Sure.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/budget-surplus-was-near-2bn-by-the-end-of-march/a240513512.html

Our government literally can't spend all the money it has earmarked for housing, or anything else, right now. There is no shortage of funds that could be put to use on the things I mentioned like accessible loans for BER improvements, solar panels, EV vehicle schemes etc. Surely if we're living through a climate emergency we should be putting that money to work sooner rather than later?

The reason we don't is purely ideological - the Green party has no interest in helping the working class in Ireland. Their policies hurt poor people's quality of life, not improve it.

Post edited by Blut2 on

They can't spend the money because Ireland has a shortage of skilled labour. For years we had people from Poland filling the building sites in Ireland but they all went home and we are left with a shortage.

The companies that are doing upgrades are booked out the door. Try to get a solar PV install and it's at least 6 months before the install date.

The education system for years has promoted people towards science and IT, meaning the skilled work person is looked down on and people don't go into it. So we have reduced work force in this area.

Blaming the Green Party for issues at this stage is alarming, they are a tiny party in a government and 3 years? into their term. What exactly do you think they have done? the issues in Ireland are going on for the last 20 years and decisions today really wont make a huge affect for years

Who gets the grants? Who doesnt get the grants?

They've literally single handedly cost every household in the country 500-1500eur of their net income in the year 2023 alone: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120863534/#Comment_120863534

There are obstacles and difficulties to overcome with most policies yes, but thats no excuse for the Greens putting absolutely no focus on positive environmental policies, instead focusing entirely on punitive ones.

They're not grants (though thats obviously an option for low income households), the idea used in other countries is easily accessible loans - available to everyone, with a flat 5% of your income deducted at source in an additional tax until the loan is paid off.

The whole problem with our current very limited grant system is its in effect only open to households that can afford to pay the upfront costs of 10-50,000 themselves and then claim a certain % back in grants. Which obviously limits it to very cash rich households. Which is not the most effective way of reducing our carbon footprint as a country.

Did you read the article you referenced? You said they had no interest in helping working class and from the article you pointed to

Also saying you should wait till people really need a help with utility bills make sense to me

The party will instead argue the most vulnerable families should be prioritised for support in the coming weeks through the existing social welfare system with measures such as extra fuel allowance payments and increases in the one-family payment likely to feature as part of discussions.

The Greens’ position is that it would make sense for the Coalition to wait until autumn and winter to roll out further universal energy support to households when utility bills are likely to be higher, with a focus on the most vulnerable households in the interim

• Advertisement

The Green party argued that the most vulnerable families needed support... and so instead of those families getting a fourth 200euro energy credit that they would have gotten otherwise they got 0euro.

They sure did a great job helping the working class there alright.

Advertisement