Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

"There is more important things going on in the country"

"This isn't important Mr. Tubrity?"

The fooking neck of the kent. That statement speaks volumes to me about the RTE culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I was just sent a link to a survey Evoke.ie did about Tubs and its headline reads “women are more forgiving of Tubridy than men”.

Evoke.ie would be known for their robust scientific surveys alright 🙄 And what a shock that a site aimed at women produces differing results for the two sexes. 🙄

To top it off, at the bottom of the survey was a link to a story which read something like “Doireann Garrihy stuns in Penney’s suit at date night with her boyfriend!” - NKM may be distracted but they’re still pumping out the puff pieces to beat the band.

Edit: autocorrect/predictive text changed a word for me and I didn't notice.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Indeed, "should Tubbs return".. ..

The June Rogers Panto doctrine is Applied:

How do all nice Fairy Tales end in the Gaeity theatre now?

Like telling the loyal followers "please hope go you can do it HOPE that Tinkerbell LIVES" in Peter Pan

Instead saying

"please hope that Ryan can come back to the radio 1 airwaves, GO ON HOPE"

Not unlike a "Wanderly Wagon" rhyme solution too ..

Post edited by z80CPU on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

Distract and have a plan to screw the public. New “broadcasting charge” on the way, currently they get €200million, they want €500 million and to find other sources.

many new media outlets/production companies, funded by government and owned by “friends” are going to emerge.

public is screwed again….gotta love Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Just glancing at some of the Sunday papers, they are reporting on underhanded exit packages, dodgy deals and other discrepancies that have occurred within the highest levels of RTE management, which of course is absolutely correct imo. But I usually find when events start to take another course as in opening up the pandoras box, it usually has the effect of deflecting away from the original story and in this case the seriousness of the RTE/RT/NK fiasco. In other words, there has been and there is probably still so much shite going on in RTE that it maybe spun to make it look like well what RTE/RT/and NK were at was nothing compared as to what has been going on at the highest levels of the organisation. My thoughts on this is that more PAC enquiries will take place, RTE under the steady, transparent and level headed direction of Backhurst will apologise and promise change. Tubridy will be forgiven by mother RTE and will find himself back on the radio again, although this time with a renegotiated salary that is more palatable to RTE. KB will attempt to make it look like he was the man who cleaned up RTE. A snapshot of all of this may find itself on a future episode of Reeling In The Years, when Tubridy has retired and Ireland has moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Strange to have the two highest paid presenters in RTE doing radio slots only.

I think the main focus should be on a radical restructuring of RTE. There are European models to emulate. We can keep a few balls in our eyeline at the same time, the Tubs deal and the redundancy packages.

100% manufacturing constant here. This is a stagey and organised agenda that has been worked on in board rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder does he really in his heart of hearts though? He kind of has to say that as part of the front he's putting up. Surely RTE must have gone sour on him to some extent though? I'd say if he got a decent offer from the Beeb he'd be off...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I don't want one ball let a few in my eyeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

He didn't state he would give it back

He said he would give it back if someone asks as I already posted.

Which he knows means he doesn't have to give the money back. He has of course access to the contract so if you watch the PAC meeting he was very clear he would only give it back if someone asks.

So he never had any intention of giving back the money. He never had any intention of taking a pay cut. He lied to the public and he again twisted his statements in the PAC meeting so he could keep his grubby little hands on the money he was given via a dodgy deal.

I know he won't. Knew he wouldn't all along because that is Tubs.

• Advertisement

Oh they have been spinning it this way for a while now. RTE news trying to say it was a draw at the PAC meeting when clearly it was a disaster.

How anyone can trust RTE and the shows they produce moving forward is beyond me!!

If he got a decent offer. But he hasn't and he won't. If he was never given an offer when he was seemingly the main star of RTE at any time why would anyone touch him now when the whole World know all of this about him?

BBC etc have their own problems and bringing in a Tubs would just add to them

Plus his biggest issue, he is a terrible terrible interviewer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If they somehow put Tubs back into rte, I think a lot of employees and fellow workers won't be happy.

It could be a cold place for him to work in future.

Do you honestly think he was well liked before?

Just based on how he acts with guests etc, from the PAC meeting. I doubt many people had much time for him anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Amarach did a poll on it a few days ago. I am on their list. Not sure when results are out.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I believe Tubridy will return to RTE Radio 1 at some point but I think there is a possibility of a timeslot and format change: 53 minutes of back to back Beatles music with voice tracked links?? It would keep him separated from the public.

All brought to you by Toyota.

he would be more productive performing as the talking clock if that slot is available.

Speaking of time, that just reminded me. If the return to RTE doesn't work out, I've heard NK has cut him a deal with Disney. Mickey Mouse is going to wear a Ryan Tubridy watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

Not quite. He says at 0:47:33 in this video:

"If that work is not called upon to be done, of course the money goes back."

But no timeframe given or mentioned for that to happen. He could decide that if they do not ask in 20 years. Although I doubt that is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If Tubs handed the money back who would he hand it too? RTE? Renault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

A cold place for the RTE workers too. They'd better develop a thicker pelt now.

And in doing so its re-highligthing the initial journey it took through the back doors - thus showing how it originally arrived. Re tracing its steps so to speak and in doing so bring more problems or clarity to light possibly? Not to mention what of recovering the 35% service charge?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Would it not be prudent of KB to stall on RT's contract and let him off for his hols pending more info from the audits and inquiries to the previously missing parties. Surely he has to hear from DF and Jennings, Renault etc

That'll give him time to read the room re staff and public opinion.

At the end of the day money will talk and if RT is going to be a liability in that regard (non payment of TV licence fees and withdrawal of sponsorships) then it's Good night and good luck Tubs.

In RTE's opinion he's out of contract at the moment so it's handy enough for them to delay any further commitment until there's a clear (and believable) picture of what went on and by whom.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I felt he gave the game away several times on Tuesday. He was incredibly lucky that Kelly was there to do the lion share of the talking because almost every time he was called to speak, Tubs showed the utter contempt he has for both the politicians questioning him and the plebs watching on from their front rooms.

900 quid for a taxi to ferry him from his palace to Drogheda and back, all on RTE's tab, while he's trying to tell them with a straight face that this was all separate freelance contractor work that Renault was paying him for. Un-fooking-believable. Absolutely no wonder they pulled that stunt with the documents submitted 2 hours before the committee. They knew they hadn't a leg to stand on if people had time to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its such disingenuous bullshit from Tubridy.

"I'm ready and willing to do the work when asked!!!".

As if the damn customer hadn't already pulled out of the **** deal years ago, as if the customer hadn't already pulled out of the deal before the 2nd batch of fake invoices were even created. Ready and willing were you Ryan? For the customer you knew was already gone to come back looking for the work you knew they weren't paying for?

He really does have contempt for everybody, to think we would believe that horseshit for one second.

As I said previously, he literally played the Father Ted "money is just resting in my account" card. He did that with a straight face. Anybody who still thinks Ryan Tubridy has been honest in this whole thing needs their head examined.

Not a chance. Even he was to get such an offer, which he won't, he wouldn't go. And I can completely understand why. Some people are just too big for the little pond they start out in, I'd put Graham Norton in that bracket. He's a world class broadcaster who would be at home working in the US, UK or any english speaking jurisdiction. He's got the wit, personality, charm and talent. He would naturally want to aspire to more than RTE.

Tubridy is very aware of his shortcomings and he knows full well that he is the media equivalent of a backbench rural Indepenent TD who somehow got catapulted into the Taoiseach's office. He is operating far beyond his abilities and is only being let do it because of how parochial and dysfunctional RTE is.

He has no desire to be a small fish in a huge pond. He has no desire to leave his comfort zone of leafy south Dublin where he (was) loved and admired by so many and in his own head, fast becoming a national treasure like his idle Gaybo. It's what makes his enormous salary over many years all the more galling. RTE top brass would surely have known he was a lifer with no desire to leave and so had him over a barrel on negotiations. But they STILL decided to give him truck loads of cash AND top it up on the sly with dodgy commercial deals.

Post edited by Hyperbollix on

Agreed and its a shame the PAC didnt immediately dissolve the meeting on those very grounds of a very late and tactical submission. Thus letting RT/NK roast for a week on the PAC grill while they digest the 39 pages of cherry picked info. That really p*ssed me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If KB had any balls he would kick RT to the curb and NKM from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

Forgot to mention that his undoubted future run for the Àras is a non starter now.

Another good thing to come out of all of this.

With the neck he has shown and the delusion you wouldn't put it past him having a go.I hope he does,he'll get his answer what the people of Ireland think of him then.

• Advertisement

Yep, there was zero reason to cave in on that stunt. Kelly and Tubs came in voluntarily because they were both on damage limitation exercises. Tubridy needed to get his few moments for the cameras to beg the people (and by extention, the DG) to give him another shot, and NK want to stem the reputational damage to his business.

The PAC could have told them to F off til a date in the future, but of course that implies that these politicians are purely after truth and justice and not just a 1 minute viral video on their social media accounts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement