Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo town at 93.3mm now for July but the infrared seems to hint that the continously mist and rain is becoming more showery. Prob breaking the 100 tomorrow.

48hour total from Thursday 7pm to Saturday 7pm 54mm

Had 78mm in a June 2 day period around 2008 or 2009 and some of the bad Winter storms since got 60mm but can't remember 2 days in July so grotesque. Mostly our crap July days are misty with 10 to 15mm of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its stormy out, like autumn, mental, can we participate in the heat dome soon?, asking for an Irish person.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A dark evening, heavy drizzle and I had to put extra weights on the trampoline legs to stop it flying away.

Lovely summers evening, irish style.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Reports of some minor floods around the county in the last two days here in Kerry. Some fierce frequent heavy showers here this morning up until around midday, quite blustery and overcast all day misty on and off and a return to some heavy showers towards evening. Must measure the manual gauge tomorrow , well over 50 mm at this stage for the last two days. Was out by the coast last night and thankfully got a couple of dry hours, rivers and streams in flood coming off the land.

Just got a high of 15.3C and currently a cool 13.7C, jumpers and under rugs watching the TV tonight.

Hit and miss tomorrow with some big showers about and thunderstorms a possibility, some places getting a good drenching under some of the mature convection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

What was that saying that Ireland would be a great country if you could only roof it 🤣🤣

Great picture from Galway today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Absolutely 💯 and before that a dry June fingers crossed for a warm/hot spell in August I haven't given up hope for the entire summer although this week is testing me

Nowhere near as bad in Cork as is being reported elsewhere. We've been lucky. It was brutal on Friday until around midday and then the sun came out and it was warm (ish!) and sunny, though very windy for the rest of the day. I was out on the bike in decent (but windy!) conditions that evening.

Yesterday, we had a few heavy showers in the middle of the day but was absolutely fine for the rest of the day and was at a birthday where the kids spent the day out in the garden. Out at GAA training in the morning with kids and no rain.

Heading out on the bike now and it's dry and sunny and not much rain forecast for the rest of the day.

Not great, but not quite the end of days. We seem to have done very well compared to the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Ozvaldo

I walked to the shop in 20 minutes came back drenched and was nearly blown off the road by a gale -time 140 pm yesterday cork city suburbs care to contradict :

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Lucky nah dont think so its p1ssing every day for part or most of it -theres showers on the way today,Are you sure you live in Cork ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Quick get out there it's dry.

Is is nice out? No, dark and chilly.

Would you think its summer? No

But dry is best we can do after two days of non stop rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I thought the sun was out earlier maybe 7am. That’s well gone now and it’s back to big grey crowds the ever present breeze and 15 degrees. At least it’s dry I suppose…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The temperature is only about 2 or 3 degrees more that what we usually get in winter...why even bother calling it summer and this is normal its like this every year...where every last bit of cold from up north comes down over ireland all summer...and then mild air from the south west arrives in november /december...exactly the opposite of what should happen every year🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Utterly brutal morning. Persistent rain. 12C.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ffs, it's lashing again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just back from a pleasant two hour cycle and it was sunny and warm. Caught the end of a very light shower on the way home. Sunny and pleasant again now. Get out and make the most of it, carping on here won't do you any good.

And, yes, there were very heavy showers yesterday during the middle part of the day, but the entire morning and then the entire afternoon and evening were completely dry.

Since the rain cleared on Friday afternoon, there has been a grand total of about 1.5 hours of rain during daylight hours in Cork.

The weather is not good at the moment, but we are definitely doing fairly well compared to most areas and it hasn't stopped me doing a single thing I had planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

That spell in mid July ‘95 (when most of the rain that fell that summer in Dublin was on a Sunday afternoon) was only a blip, there was no major pattern change, by the 19th ….

July 1976 wasn’t that bad, the high was too far west for high temperatures but it was certainly no unsettled wash out! Again no major pattern change after the sunny June.

It’s not all about the exact weather on July 15th, I’m talking about the general pattern that prevails in mid July, it doesn’t hold true every summer but more often than not it’s a good indication what the second half of the summer will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If I respond, I'm going to derail the thread so I'm going to leave it there and move on especially now that the day has ended.

Glad to have had Friday and yesterday out of the way, some of the worst July days I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Today and tomorrow might not be so bad in some areas due to the hit and miss nature of the showers. Widespread rain again on Monday night.

The whole of Ireland lit up by lightning strikes in June apart from Wexford, parts of Kerry, Cork, Galway and Mayo 😝 it's like where's wally but spotting areas not coloured in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Some tropical downpours in D24 today. Sun comes back out once they stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭pauldry

More heavy rain this morning. The rain gauge now at 70mm for the past 2 and a half days. 108.8mm total now.

Markree had 38.6mm yesterday. I see blue sky today so hopefully just showery. Need some brightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭esposito

Yep, heavy showers that would drench you in seconds but at least the sun is in and out.

The last few days in particular have been horrendous. As bad as it gets really.

Relying on August to save our summer but I don’t think it will. Can it get a bit warmer at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

heavy showers here too. Hung out washing now drenched on the line. Wanted to cut the lawn yesterday couldn’t too wet and ground too soft. Flowers rotting away. It’s also cool I wouldn’t say cold but not mild/warm by any stretch. That.breeze still there. Will go for a walk later to the coast but really not ideal dodging showers in a stiff breeze in a coat. Some see that as carping I see it as being more of a bloody nuisance in July to be having to second guess every thing we do outdoors in the middle of summer. Outside of this forum so in the real world 😀I hear nobody saying the weather is anything other than being miserable.

Hmmm...you questioned the veracity of my weather report from Cork, which was full of detail and relying on data, in favour of two irregular posters who gave an exaggerated and emotive versions of the weather this weekend, which was in no way supported by data.

As I always say, the actual weather we have experienced is a couple of clicks away: https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

As you can see we had 1.4mm yesterday and just a trace today. The sun is currently shining and it's a lovely day. Warm in the sun.

The weather where you are is an irrelevance to what was being discussed earlier and what you are referring to in the above post. I have no idea what the weather in your area is like and have less interest. You are conflating two different issues in order to make some odd point that makes no sense.

Greetings from sunny Cork.

After yesterday's second consecutive washout, most places are now wetter than average for July. Mount Dillon and Oak Park are having their wettest July since 2009 whilst most others remain behind July 2020 as of now. Mace Head and Johnstown Castle are the outliers still decently below the whole monthly average with less than 70% but are still wet relative to where you'd expect totals to be at this point in the month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It was a nice morning here in Meath, a huge improvement over the past few days but now the showers have arrived here and the rain is back, can't even get 1 dry day.

Tuesday could be the next washout. Wednesday looks like it may be the only day of the coming week which could stay dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It has been fine here so far today. Tomorrow looks like being dry for much of the day too. Monday night into Tuesday looks fairly wet. This week won't be as bad as what we saw at the weekend, there will be sunshine at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭glitterIsland

The weather since the heatwave ended was disappointing. I know there's a few dry patches here and there but it's so hard to plan for a day. You don't know what to wear - if it's shorts or a dress or pants or sun cream or a jacket. It's so hard to get clothes dry on the line too. The winter was long enough, I was hoping for some drying on the line but lately it's a battle. All in all it's fairly disappointing weather although it's not a surprise. I don't usually feel the cold. I'm usually a warm person but I am feeling the cold.

Is there any let up to this wet and cold crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Good morning in Cork but gone really showery now and the showers are absolutely torrential. Glad I got out and about earlier.

Advertisement