Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Minimum balance is back to €5

"In response to customer feedback"

Customer complaints more like 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

E cars even listening to the grumps about min balances.

+++

Dear EV Driver, 

Following our previous correspondence regarding a change to the minimum account balance required to start a charge, a number of drivers experienced difficulties charging due to the minimum balance increasing from €/£5 to €/£20. In response to customer feedback, this will revert to €/£5.  

This change will come into effect immediately. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. 

To reflect this, the pricing terms are available at https://esb.ie/what-we-do/ecars/price-plans.

+++ 

6.96kwp South facing

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Also wrote to them asking about the minimum balance. Ecars reverted it

Following our previous correspondence regarding a change to the minimum account balance required to start a charge, a number of drivers experienced difficulties charging due to the minimum balance increasing from €/£5 to €/£20. In response to customer feedback, this will revert to €/£5.  

I was just wondering if that was partly because of the letter

Nice to finally get a win for once 😁

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anecdotally i've noticed Ionity busier than ever before (I guess Ionity have deals with dealerships, and the price difference isn't as jarring anymore).

Applegreen also ramping up:

EasyGo ramping up too (don't ask me where those tethered AC units are):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

I expect they had hundreds of failed charges where people gave up due to incorrect minimum credit. It looks like you need to manually top up and change settings in app.yourself to charge without issue, at least that was my experience.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Noob question. Charging at an ecars AC point. The e-tron has reached the 80% set limit. Do I keep getting charged while the car is plugged in or does the billing stop once the charge limit on the car has been reached? I also started the charge with the Audi charging card.

You'll need to check your Audi charging card because they might apply their own overstay fee

In general, you should move your car if it's charged and free it up for someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Tried to charge at the HPC in Kimmage and only getting 26kW. Is there a site limit there? car had preheated but even with a cold battery should have gotten more. Even with a cold battery it should be more. Model 3 RWD LFP 60kWh.

Was the SoC high? Although I'd expect more even above 80% SoC

Definitely sounds like a site limit, although it could be temporary.

I get the feeling ESBN can quietly throttle the chargers, possibly to the site's grid limit

• Advertisement

We're other chargers next to it in use? What time of the day was it? Chargers with limited grid supply can be set to a lower maximum and possibly newer ones can vary depending on the power available. Those chargers with 4 cables also load share across sides. Sometimes modules inside the charger can be broken and this can impact speed too. Often there are 4+ separate modules any of which could break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've used that one before and gotten slow speeds on it. I emailed them and they said it's a high powered charger and it was the cars fault. I don't believe that as I had a low state of charge and had preheated around 15 minutes before arriving there.

I used the supercharger yesterday at Sandyford with around 5 minutes of preheating and got 172kw almost immediately at 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

eCars always blame the car. To be fair, that’s probably the correct answer a lot of the time but it’s no help when it’s definitely not the right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Ive charged there a few times and gotten 135kw out of it.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

LFP batteries do not like cold. If you drove there without a 2 hour motorway or yolo drive beforehand, or without setting preheating, I'd expect a max of 50-70kW. I get 70kW on ionity with no preheating up to a max of about 130-140 if I preheat. Even with an hour of motorway before, 70kW is possible in cold. These are not like li-ion standard, li-ion lfp is a different chemistry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

As expected;

Damn, the Ecars chargers there were crap but the more chargers the better

Hopefully soon Applegreen put extra chargers in where the Ecars spaces are now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Can't see it happening for a while. I expect Applegreen to upgrade Castlebellingham after the superchargers are removed

I suspect you're correct, the Applegreen chargers there are still a single unit, so we're back down to SPOF on the M1

Roll on Ionity Belfast, at least we'll have reliable charging in NI (never thought I'd say that 😬)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yeah, I used to just connect up to the eCars chargers while everybody else was eager to use the new AG ones. Suited me fine with my Kona and 75kW recharge limit. Can't do that now - I'll have to join the queue with the rest of the plebs. 😂

Very little notice, that's a disaster now on the M1. Expect queues over bank holiday and general chaos. I expect the physical units will be there for a while causing confusion. Missing units on app will cause more confusion. Things are getting worse before they might get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I pulled the units out from OpenChargeMap earlier, for what it's worth. OCM does get used by some of the navigation providers, such as ABRP. Normally the providers sync to their DB via API once a week.

According to plugshare app entries for some of these sites some of these are already powered off with no advance notice.

And south since 17th July. Maybe they just gave up fixing them recently but bad form to have no announcement and no attempt to fix.

Might be that someone hit the E-Stop and never disengaged it. I've had to do it a couple of times when the charger sh!t the bed and locked the connector into the car. I always remember to switch it on afterwards

Also heard of a few people ending charging sessions that way, they must have some selective sight to miss the "emergency" part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

I tried Lusk Southbound week before last and it was dead. Seems they basically stopped maintaining them a while back when they went offline.

I'm guessing they ran out of parts and didn't want to order more if the chargers were going to be removed soon anyway

Still bad form, they could have decommissioned the chargers anyway and replaced them with newer units if they ended up staying in those sites

Of course if they decommissioned them they'd have to report fewer chargers in service, but if they're broken then it can be swept under the rug 🙄

I suspect they did not bother to fix them knowing they would be taking them out a couple if weeks later. A paper sign on the charger would be the least they should have done, along with flag them in the app as broken. I expect they may be removed this week. If not broken they can be used elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Some positive news, looks like an 8 car hub might be planned for Blanchardstown shopping centre

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/fingal/application-details/95289

The application doesn't mention Ecars specifically, but the picture of the charger and graphics for the spaces match what they'd normally do

I suspect this hub will get plenty of business from people in the area looking to charge, the current chargers there seem to always be busy

Not sure if they'll get a lot of people pulling in from the N3 though, traffic around there is usually pretty bad and they'll have the option of the Maxol charger in Mulhuddart soon. And the Airtricity hub in the middle of nowhere in Ballycoolin, if they're willing to chance it

Advertisement