Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The post I replied to

It's not about keeping women safe from women in sport, it's about keeping women safe from women who were once men

What I am saying is that if all the concern in this thread is only about women's safety in relation to trans women only then the logical conclusion is that its about discrimination.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It's not logical. It's about fairness and mitigation of external physicak risks(in contact sports).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Yes, because Men who Identify as a Woman are still a Man, Humans can not change sex, and we separate sport bases upon sex due to the well recorded and known differences between the sexes.

Some discrimination are necessary. I'm married, so wouldn't date or engage in a romantic/sexual activity with anyone else, so I am discriminating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re as well off to unfollow when you miss the point that it’s because it’s a physical contact sport that people are injured, it’s nothing to do with anyone’s sex.

The weak argument is predicated upon the idea that men by virtue of their sex are thugs and it would be like throwing women to the wolves. Let’s pretend we can’t mitigate the risks of injuries to any of the players, and if they get injured it’s not our responsibility, their body, their choice, equal rights, and lefts! 😒

Since when, is poker considered a physical contact sport?

https://nypost.com/2023/05/03/florida-man-wins-womens-poker-tournament-insanity/amp/

Non-binary transgender identities always get forgotten in these debates.

Yet absolutely everyone agrees that they must enter sport based on their biological sex.

We need to be consistent and apply that principle to all gender identities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I’ve just come back here to point out that for 154 pages here, 3 or 4 men have spent a lot of time and energy arguing that biological men have no advantage over women in the field of sport, that disagreeing with that is bigotry, and that in order to avoid a biological man having his feelings hurt, biological women should put aside their feelings of injustice and allow biological men to participate in their sports. That is all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Discrimination is unjust. Not allowing people who don't qualify to compete in a category of sport to compete in that category is not unjust.

Allowing transwomen to compete in women's sport is discrimination against women.

Hell I only came back here because in response to a player having to be hospitalised and discussing whether or not to allow the game to continue, another player on the opposing team responded with “Let them eat shìt” -

Speaking to Colombian supporters who had gathered outside Meakin Park, Ireland’s training base for the Women’s World Cup, Caracas said: “They are just girls, one little foul and they started complaining. They were having a chat among themselves to continue or not so we weren’t going to hang around waiting for them.” She added: “Honestly, let them eat ****.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/15/republic-of-ireland-players-feared-for-their-bodies-in-colombia-womens-world-cup-friendly

But perhaps you’re right - men are the problem, because they’re men.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The concern doesn't stem from the fact the person is trans but that they have physical traits that cannot be changed through transitioning from male to female.

The most obvious being physical size along with bone and muscle density which are massively advantagous in sports.

If women find they are unable to compete with trans women for these reasons their opinions should at least be listened to without constant accusations of bigotry.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Referees would be tasked to step in, but given it was a training match behind closed doors it's unlikely to be officially ref'd (and it's likely the Ireland team wasn't comfortable with how competitive Colombia made it just a few days before the official matches vs. there being anything wrong with how they were playing, the World Cup is a big deal to a lot of players who will have been handling themselves very carefully for the past number of months).

Not that it's likely to happen as most sportspeople are good sportspeople, but if a team of professional men football players decided to "let them eat ****" against a team of professional biological female football players you could very easily have a few career ending injuries come out of it (and if it somehow did happen, it would likely be the immediate end of mixed contact competitive football).

Hence why most of the arguments tend to be for non-contact sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What has anything you've said in the post I've quoted got to do with transgender people in sport?

I think they were paraphrasing the comment.

Plus I think a lot of posters don't understand what logic is.

Not that it's likely to happen as most sportspeople are good sportspeople

What’s that, the ‘no good sportsperson’ fallacy?

There was clearly a lot wrong with how they were playing when a player was injured and Pauw had to approach the opposition bench to get them to calm things down as the players were getting aggressive. Obviously she was thinking of the bigger picture, that they all wanted to get to the World Cup, whereas the player who said (paraphrasing) - they’re only girls, let them eat shìt, it’s clear where her interests were in only thinking of herself -

The behind-closed-doors match was abandoned after around 20 minutes when a fierce challenge led to O’Sullivan being taken to hospital, with the Football Association of Ireland issuing a statement saying the game was becoming overly physical. “The players, [for] the first time since I am coaching them, they feared for their bodies,” added Pauw.

The head coach said she approached the opposition bench in an effort to keep things on the field calm, telling them: “We all want to go to the World Cup.” O’Sullivan appears to have escaped serious injury after an X-ray and a scan revealed no break or fracture to her left shinbone. Pauw is hopeful that O’Sullivan will be fit in time for the World Cup opener against Australia in Sydney on 20 July.

Were a player in the men’s game at professional level to display that attitude towards their competition in front of supporters, they would be sanctioned by the governing body of the sport and face disciplinary action for bringing the game into disrepute. There would be excuses made for their behaviour by some, but they wouldn’t wash.

Were a player in the men’s game at professional level to display that attitude towards their competition in front of supporters, they would be sanctioned by the governing body of the sport and face..

Shithousery is a big part of the men's game and often goes unpunished (and teams supporters often applaud it rightly or wrongly). There has also been lots of training ground bust ups between players and sometimes managers, here's a few "fun" ones to read about:

Football's nastiest training ground bust-ups ranked - Thomas Gravesen to John Hartson - Daily Star

The clubs themselves usually sanction or fine the players (some players never play for particular managers again).

Again, if those were occurring in gender mixed football, what might be a yellow card against a man might be a career ending bone break against a female.

Well the argument against their participation in sports in accordance with their preferred gender is because they’re men.

TT’s point is that they only came back here to point out that 3 or 4 men have spent a lot of time and energy arguing that men have no advantage over women in sports, that disagreeing with that is bigotry, that in order to avoid a man having his feelings hurt women should put their feelings of injustice aside and allow men to participate in their sports.

There are numerous things wrong with that argument, but I was only explaining what I was doing back here, pointing out that it’s not because of their sex that men are a threat to anyone, and that kind of attitude and behaviour towards others isn’t because they’re men, it’s because they’re scumbags, no package check necessary on the Columbian player who came out with the attitude - “Let them eat shìt”.

Perhaps that’s the way to go?

Nah, I don’t think so either.

Can we both begin from the first principle that shìthousery shouldn’t be part of any game? That it has no place in sports?

Again, if those were occurring in gender mixed football, what might be a yellow card against a man might be a career ending bone break against a female.

Career ending injuries are caused, not because of anyone’s sex, but because of the attitude and behaviour of the person who inflicts an injury on others. The vast majority of people in sports don’t seek to inflict injury on others, in the same way as it’s not just coincidence that in years of participation in all sorts of sports, I never inflicted injury on another player, got injured a few times alright, but nothing career ending, which are incredibly rare injuries, not just because they’re prohibited by the rules, but because the vast majority of people participating in sports aren’t interested in inflicting injuries on others.

The assumption that men will inflict injuries on women because they’re men and women are women is predicated upon the idea of making assumptions about men, when in reality the vast majority of men simply aren’t inclined to behave like scumbags, and the vast majority of women aren’t wilting wallflowers who need to be protected by men, from men.

It's not that at all. Career ending tackles can be innocuous challenges, badly timed ones...not because they're nasty.

The Colombian game was nasty. The Irish women can well handle themselves. It went well above that.

Your last paragraph again is rubbish. It's not men protecting women and being white knights. The women have been raising concerns all by themselves...God bless them.

This is about fairness. Not sex based.

Are you transgender? I'm sure the vast majority aren't wilting wallflowers that need to be protected by you.

• Advertisement

Are you transgender?

Good for you that you’ve decided to drop all pretence of civility and at least now you’re being honest. In answer to your question though, no, I’m not transgender, I’m guessing you’re not either, but I already made that point that it doesn’t disqualify us from expressing an opinion on the conditions under which anyone is entitled to participate in sports.

I also explained that using your rationale, both of us would be excluded from that conversation. You’d know that though if you’d bothered to read my earlier response to your earlier comment instead of skipping by it and expecting me to repeat myself, slowly, in bullet points so that I meet with your approval, which you clearly aren’t the least bit interested in.

I’m not interested in seeking your approval either.

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that the fact that neither of us being transgender doesn’t disqualify us from giving our opinions, but that’s where you’re going in arguing that the only people who are qualified to have an opinion are either those who have played sports, or those with relatives, or both. 

I would suggest you’re attempting to stack the deck in your favour, but at least you’ve not gone so far as to suggest that only elite transgender athletes are qualified to offer an opinion on whether they should be disqualified from participating in sports. That would exclude both of us for starters!

Your “logic” is that biological men should be allowed to enter biological women’s sporting competitions and the biological women should not complain. Isn’t that your position in a nutshell?

BTW, this requires a yes or no answer. It either is your position or it’s not. Be brave. Just answer yes, or no.

It's that some mean and some women will engage in that unsporting behavior. The danger is multiplied when a man engages in that unsporting behavior against females.

For some sports it doesn't need to be unsporting. Stick a men's rugby team against a female team and the female team will be subjected to multiple dangerous injuries, the men would steamroller them.

For contact sports, this isn't even an argument, it's just dangerous for females and would lead to 0 females participating in that sport.

For non-contact sports it comes down to fairness of competition vs. inclusivity.

Hence why no one is really engaging on the Irish women's world cup team, it's a non-argument in the trans-debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,512 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Some discrimination are necessary. I'm married, so wouldn't date or engage in a romantic/sexual activity with anyone else, so I am discriminating.

and some demanded generic apologies for observing there was bigotry within the topic 🤷🏻‍♂️ and thanked by TEN here at post time. Yeah @astrofool?

So you agree that biological men should be excluded from biological women’s sporting competitions and that women’s sporting competitions should be exclusively restricted to biological females?

You will now have a back and forth debate due to the literal meaning being taken for "in a nutshell" :) God help you if your post had a typo.

You will notice they never give their actual positions, which, in fairness sometimes, can have some nuances to it, but rather than explain it succinctly, it will be danced around instead.

What?

Civility? I have been very civil.

You attack and attack without answering anything. Just walls of text with little value in the posts.

Your posts contradict what you attack other posters on. Us men protecting women. Going to answer my question?

It's about fairness and I hope everyone gets involved.

Also, there's no rules against a woman playing for a men's team if capable enough.

• Advertisement

That’s not what you asked me the first time, you summarised a position which I didn’t hold and asked me whether or not it was my position. You encouraged me to be brave, and just answer yes or no, so I summoned up what courage I could muster and gave you what I hoped would be a satisfactory response to your question. Still unsatisfied? Join the queue, there’s a long line 😂

Advertisement