Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

The people who inhabit large swathes of Ukraine are Russian-speakers but that does not make them Russians or even Russian sympathizers any more than speaking English makes one a British sympathizer or supporter in the past in Ireland. The same holds for other colonized nations including Spanish speaking Latin America and most of the Anglosphere. It should be obvious to you that Zelensky himself is a native Russian speaker.

As for heinous acts, the eviction of the Russian occupiers from Kherson city and other areas they claimed as part of Russia has revealed enormous amounts of testimony from the inhabitants of these districts about the brutalities inflicted upon them by the Russians. It seems the Russians don't regard them as part of their nation either,as does the fact that they have never stopped shelling Kherson day or night since they were driven out. https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/18/europe/ukraine-kherson-russian-brutality-allegation-intl-cmd/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No ,

But some of us have been discussing Ukraine since pre 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Especially since Russia started flattening their cities, abducting their children, sexually abusing women and children and sending their men to die in their droves as cannon fodder.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

This is not a juvenile my side is better than your side argument. War is horrible. Atrocities are committed and those who commit them should be held to account as well as their political leaders and NO country should be exempt from that.

• Advertisement

You post about Minsk and NATO yet pretend to know nothing about Budapest and NATO Russia founding act.

Your claims have no credibility.

The vast majority of warcrimes are carried out by Russian forces. That is documented beyond doubt by the UN and others.

The invasions by Russia are a war crimes in themselves and ultimate responsibility for every death lies with Russia.

Any attempt therefore to draw a moral equivalence between invaded Ukraine and invaders Russia is therefore pro Russian. It is a position of moral bankruptcy that implicitly gives succour to Russia to commit further war crimes. Therefore any posts that do not reflect that reality of Russian responsibility only encourages more war crimes, more abuse of innocents, more abuse of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Over forty years ago some posters on here would have supported the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and be telling everyone that the Mujadeheen were tools of the CIA...heck you could even go back to Czechoslovakia in in 1968.

The CIA invaded Czechoslovakia and started shooting at Russians and the Russians invaded to protect western invasion ,

We know that didn't actually happen but this is what will be claimed by some

I doubt it.

People weren't that bothered with Afghanistan when the Soviets invaded relative to the US invading Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Man that is a lot of ammo to take a small bit of land against a supposedly weaker army. You would think with that edge they would have actually won the war in a few weeks.

Russia have always been the most artillery focused army. Hence the edge. This war is showing that while it has its uses it is not near that decisive.

They an shoot all the artillery they like but it needs to generate results. Fighting for more than a year against Ukraine is an embarrassment for a supposed world power.

• Advertisement

According to that poster Russia also has the clear advantage in manpower, resources, interior supply lines, air superiority, missile superiority... may as well throw in naval superiority for the craic.

But cant explain why Russia hasnt won yet and has been pegged back.

Their claims have no credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭jmreire

Google Igor Girkins I started the war in Donbass ( or Strelkov as he was also known as ) when he shot down flight MH17.

Sure people lie.....but Russia are Olympic Gold Medalist's at it. There's none better!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Taking a position of moral absolutism only blinds yourself to egregious flaunting of truth relative to others, something we've seen plenty of with Russia outside of this invasion. The country is a mafia state whose media and approach to reporting is that of a dictatorship. And as someone keen to Whatabout, you should know the guilty aggressor tends to fashion a fantasy justification for its invasion. Fewer still write essays about why a country never should have left the homeland.

Nobody's naive or ignorant about Ukraine's faults - you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here admitting it a paradise - but we've seen a conscious attempt to weed out corruption, fast track decoupling itself from Soviet rot - while the wealth of non traditional media and information has made it much easier to find the truth of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This is a trope. Bad faith actors, who spread a lot of disinfo and false information, use this technique to insinuate that everyone does it on the same level they do.

for example, under Putin, the state controlled media apparatus uses a propaganda technique called the "firehose of falsehood" which involves rapidly spreading a high amount of messages and narratives from many sources with no regard for the truth in order to confuse people.

It's effective, they don't know who to trust, so they are less likely to trust the truth when it emerges.

The key is to look at a situation and objectively decide what the level of deception is. With e.g. Russian state-controlled media, there is a high level of propaganda. It's systematic. With e.g. Scandinavian free press with high standards, there may be some cases, but it is low. It's isolated and rare.

When someone starts implying "both are the same" and "everyone lies", alarm bells should be ringing.

Yes. . . The Americans always tell the truth. Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Auntie

Start of my post: "Quote:- Sure, people lie. " Unquote. I never claimed that that any Country is honest and truthful, but for sure, in todays world, Putin's Russia are the greatest liars on the planet, bar none. Throughout their history, Russian's have been noted for their dishonesty, a tradition Putin upholds 100%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Russian army actually being competent and having modern equivalent to western equipment.

• Advertisement

I'm talking about a verified whopper lie. Not something licked of the front of the Irish Times

I said "WMD beat that". "Russian are the greatest liars on the planet, bar none" is an opinion you hold which you presumably heard from the same people that gave you the WMD lie.

You presumably can't see the circular nature of your position: known liars-par-excellence.. told me that Russia are the greatest liars

I'd prefer you explain in your own words, how your thesis about occupying armies (more likely) committing war crimes fits in the face of Russian occupying ethnically Russian areas?

You just hit on another one there.

E.g. "the government always tells the truth", "the mainstream news is never wrong" intended in a sarcastic way. These are projected slogans to insinuate someone holds some extreme position (which few do)

In this case, US intelligence on Ukraine is not infallible, certainly not perfect, but during this conflict it has been relatively accurate. At the opposite end of the spectrum there is Russian intelligence which contains a high level of systematic disinformation.

Attempting to compare the two is disingenuous. And again, is part of the "both sides" thing.

Post edited by Dohnjoe on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Iti is a verified whopper of a lie; simply see how they performed in their attempt to take on a country much smaller then themselves with inferior equipment. Remember Ukraine did not start with Western equipment; they had hand me down Russian equipment at the time and they still held of the might of the Russian army trying to invade and take over their whole country. Do you even remember Russian's T-14 Armata's tauted as superior to Leopard 2s? Or how about the BMPT Terminator tank? You know; the automated tank that was going to help in Urban warefare and protect their tanks in cities by automatically engage soldiers in high rises etc.? How about their supersonic missiles that Western AA would not be able to shoot down? Want me to continue to list more Russian claimed weapons that turned out to be complete duds?

It's not a theoretical "more likely". So that's fallacy #1. It is documented fact by the UN, and posted to the thread. Vast majority

Russian are occupying the ethnically Russian areas. Fallacy #2 is that Russian is there as some sort of liberator or protector of ethnic Russians when they are just there to plunder and rape and press gang cannon fodder. It is imperialism.

Slight fly in your ointment. All of the above requires us to believe a Western press which has been reporting along those same lines from the get go.

I'm talking about a verifiable whopper. Not rubbish from a captive Western press in the middle of a war between Russia and the West.

You have a verifiable whopper yourself on the thread. You are a proven liar and I can cite the posts to prove it.

Your claims have no credibility.

As for Russian lies, have you just emerged from hibernation in the middle of the war? Russia has been lying about this war from the very beginning. They've been lying from before the 2022 invasion. They lied about the contents of the Budapest agreement. They lied about the contents of the Minsk agreements, at one point they even tried to lie about who had signed it!

I'm sure you could find dozens of instances within 5 minutes - if you wanted to. So there is no point us doing your own research for you, as you will just ignore any evidence presented to you that you dislike.

Your posts are proof you have no interest in any truths from Ukraine that contradict your prejudged position.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

Whataboutery.

Putin is invading Ukraine. Reaching into the past to cherry-pick something some ex administration did decades ago does not validate or excuse it.

• Advertisement

In order to consider their lying, you have to have a truthteller. Pray tell who is this truth teller? The Guardian? The BBC?

I don't think you appreciate that reporting information you've gleaned from one side in a war is problematic until demonstrated otherwise.

I said a verifiable lie. Such as the verified lie that the US/British et al propagated for the WMD war. No weapons of mass destruction were produced. The Global Policemen is a verified liar.

If all you have is "I believe the Western media" then I've a bridge in the Crimea to sell you.

Advertisement