Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jean Kleyn N/IQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd say Noel Kelly contacted World Rugby to bring in the new rule.

Then he contacted Rassie and asked him to consider bringing Kleyn back to play for SA, then Smith contacted Farrell to get him to drop Kleyn from all Irish training squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Doesn't matter what Kleyn says publicly. I suspect the first conversation about playing for SA happened a good while ago but either way it doesn't matter, he can make his own choices in life.

How many times did Rassie say he was going nowhere?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don’t see any reason to disbelieve Kleyn. He had already played for Ireland.

There are still people who suspect the world is flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No reason to disbelieve him.

Equally people often say things in interviews that aren't the whole truth.

Only Kleyn knows the truth. The question is whether it matters. He made his choice, he's moved on, best of luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

No reason to disbelieve him.

Just like there was no reason to disbelieve Declan Rice when he was kissing the Irish badge and saying 'There's no decision to be made. If I didn't want to be playing for Ireland, I wouldn't be here'.

Situations change in life and people change their minds all the time. Jean Kleyn made what he thought was the best decision available to him when he moved to Munster, when he accepted a called up from Ireland in 2019 and when he accepted the called up for South Africa this year.

Good luck to him but don’t be putting him up on a pedestal saying that the thought of switching back never occurred to him until he was named in the South African training squad out of the blue.

On the balance of probabilities, with everything we know, I think that’s far more likely he’s telling the truth.

Nobody’s putting him on a pedestal by pointing that out.

Why are people taking the opposite views of what Kleyn says, is there an agenda to lead them to disbelieve him.

A pedestal!!!

I mean wtaf, where is this coming from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Complete different scenarios. Rice was negotiating with 2 different unions who both wanted him to play for him. Kleyn was asking to be selected for Ireland, Ireland rejected him (stupidly Imo). SA offered him a place and he took it.

If Kleyn was going to lie, he would have pretended he was already in talks with SA and then there would have been pressure to bring him into camp before it was too late. It makes zero sense to secretly negotiate with SA and lie about it in interviews. Literally nothing for him to gain.

• Advertisement

Or course he’s being put up on a pedestal. Some posters are adamant that there is no way that he might have said one thing publicly and be thinking something else privately. Things aren’t that black and white.

The Declan Rice scenario is a good example of this happening recently. His circumstances changed as did Kleyn’s.

One poster is accusing others of ‘calling him a liar in a round about way’ for suggesting he might have had contact behind the scenes from SARU to see if he would still be open for a call up. But why wouldn’t he? He’s South African. No one is criticising him for it, but it’s strange to see the lengths that some posters go to to defend him to say that it definitely didn’t happen due to something he said publicly.

there would have been pressure to bring him into camp before it was too late

I think if Kleyn told the Irish management that he was in talks with SA, it's extremely unlikely they would have felt pressured to bring him into camp. Why on earth would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 easymoneysnipa

State of the people trying to act like the guy is some liar. “Eh, im just asking questions.”

Some poster are adamant that there is no way

some posters go to to defend him to say that it definitely didn’t happen

If you’re including me in this, I’ve literally used the phrase “balance of probabilities”…

Exactly the emotive language some seem to be using to defend him. Strange.

Do you think there’s only emotive language being used by those defending him? Out of interest.

Ah here, stop digging.

Using quotes of a player and saying it's not unreasonable to think that he's telling the truth is a long, long way from putting him on a pedestal

Taking someone at their word is such a leap that it involves putting them on a pedastal?

It really is telling about how some people approach truth and honesty, in a purely transactional way.

I'll usually give someone the benefit of the doubt that they're being truthful until they show me that they can't be trusted.

Especially when they have nothing to gain from not being honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Whether it was a surprise to him or not is irrelevant, the issue is that he was effectively released from Ireland and lots deserving players given a spot ahead of him, not a good strategy to win a world cup I think

For what it's worth I think he wasn't informed until very recently as secrecy is golden with these deals

It's not irrelevant to the aspersions about kleyns character

• Advertisement

Especially when they have nothing to gain from not being honest

But maybe he does.

We don't know when he made the decision to switch.

If he only made it after the Irish RWC squad was announced, then no reason to fudge things.

If he made it months ago, and was planning to join the Boks all the while people are berating Farrell for not picking him, then that isn't a good look for him at all.

Again. No one here knows when he agreed to join SA. Unless I missed it, Kleyn has not said when it happened.

Also again: it doesn't matter and I don't care. Whether he's fifth in line for them or fifth in line for us, it's unlikely to impact either country and it shouldn't be a stick for disgruntled people to beat Farrell with. But that's exactly what it has become.

There is absolutely zero evidence of that.

Kleyn said he was surprised by the call up.

There's zero evidence of anything.

I don't think Kleyn said when he actually got the call. Maybe he was surprised back in February.

But it doesn't matter. Good luck to him. People will twist it to stick the boot in on Farrell regardless. That's my beef. Marginal selections of fringe players being blown up into something they're not.

Edit: and the guy making the call would be Rassie Erasmus, who's entitled to precisely zero benefit of the doubt when it comes to honesty or doing the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Sinister actions behind the scenes.

Stick the boot in Farrell 😮

Talk about using emotive language 🙊🙈

I didn't say anything about emotive language.

But I'd have said "sticking the boot in" is a pretty mild description of some of the stuff we've seen here the last few months. From a very small and very disaffected group of posters.

Each to their own and all that.

Such preciousness 🤣😂

I think someone should ring Joe Duffy about bold those fans are.

Talk about pedestals 😂

I'm not remotely precious about it. I'm here long enough to know exactly where the priority lies for some posters and exactly how they'll react to perceived slights. And sure grand, it's not written in stone that being Irish must mean the Ireland team is your primary concern.

I have criticised Farrell for favouring cohesion over everything else, and for not building enough depth in all positions, and for relying too much on Sexton for the last 2 years when his chances of surviving the RWC without getting injured were low....

Which of those meets the criteria of sticking the boot in to Farrell?

• Advertisement

Which of those meets the criteria of sticking the boot in to Farrell?

It doesn't, that's the whole thing here, one or two posters seem to dislike any questioning of Farrell and why a player hasn't made a training squad.

I really don't get the uno duce, una voce mentality that some posters have around the national team, yet, when it comes to other players/teams it's railroad everything ahead and sh1t all over them.

Advertisement