Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

With Coscaran racing Sunday and Adeleke Friday in Diamond league events against world class fields I wouldn't be surprised to see two new NRs. Looking forward to both of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭GolfPar

Coscoran has been training at altitude for a few weeks. Will be interesting to see what he can produce now he's back racing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

With the great Ingebrigtsen out front who knows what can happen. The rest of the field are all going to go at a good clip. Habz going under 3.30 already this year, Kipsang, mcsweyne and a couple of others in the chasing group a low 3.32 is there to be taken.

• Did anyone buy tickets for Paris Olympics? I entered the draw and got offered some track events but I couldn't justify the cost as well as travel for the event which would be price gouging on another level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yes, got tickets for the night session on August 6th and the morning session on the 7th. They forced people buying tickets to split them across a couple of sports, so I had to buy a football ticket that I'm not going to use. The three tickets came to a total of €400, which I think will be worth it as a possible one in a lifetime experience to attend the Olympic games.

Also got the opportunity to buy more a few weeks later, but considering all that was left was single session €700 tickets I gave them a swerve. Still hoping to get more tickets in later sales though.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

And a 5000m national record for Brian Fay! Hopefully sub 13 will be on the horizon soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Great 1-2 for O'Sullivan and Healy at the Euro Under 23s. Just burned off the rest of the field with ease on the last lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

An Irish 1-2 in the Womens 1500 in the Euro U23’s. Sophie O’Sullivan led home Sarah Healy in a PB of 4:07:18. Healy led all the way and Sophie took the lead in the home straight. I thought Sarah would come back at her but O’Sullivan held her off.

Mc Phillips was 7th on the 800, felt back in the home strait. Laadjel was 4th in the 10,000. It been an entertaining championship.

And a new 1500m National Record for Coscoran today as well as Olympic qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sarah Healy ran a great race too and was actually closing again on Sophie at the finish.....she lost nothing in defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Very impressive run by Andrew Coscoran, shaving two seconds off his own NR. He should absolutely be targeting the final in Budapest.

Shout out also to Sarah Lavin who ran 12.79 in horrendous conditions in Santry at the Morton games on Friday. The 12.6xs and Derval O’Rourke’s NR is there for the taking in more optimal conditions.

The women’s 400m was also interesting today in Silesia. Mariledy Paulino, one of the favourites for gold in Budapest didn’t look great at all, nor did Sada Williams. On the other hand, both Natalia Kaczmarek and Lieke Klaver announced themselves as potential medalists, running 49.48 and 49.81 respectively. Rhasidat Adeleke will face both of them in Monaco. Will be fascinating to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Anybody else feel that both the depth and the breadth of Irish athletics have moved forward significantly in the last couple of years?

We have continue to perform strongly in the middle distances, now joined by very good sprinters. We’re now even starting to making inroads in the field events e.g., Nicola Tuthill (hammer), Ruby Millet (long jump). Seems like a really optimistic time for the sport in this country..

Definitely - the overall standard of athletes coming though is way ahead of what was happening in Sonia's and then Derval O'Rourke's time. I suspect the quality of local coaching has gone up considerably in the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Heading to the diamond league meeting in London next weekend. Andrew coscoron is running in it.

Must look at the line up and see names to watch out for. Anyone here know athletes worth keeping an eye out for

Rhasidat has announced this evening that she is going pro - busy day in Irish athletics!

She seemed a bit down after the race and said she was disappointed in her post race interview. I wasn't getting the sense that she was taking much if any solace from it being an Irish 1-2, or that there was a huge amount of camaraderie between her and Sophie O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sophie says post race that she tends to get distracted mid race. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭GolfPar

@AndrewCoscoran from Chorzow

stunning 3.30.42 with splits

400   57.5

800  56.3 (1.53.8 )

1200 55.6 ( 2.49.4 )

1500 41.0 ( 3.30.4 )

• The women's 5000m should be an exciting race with Hassan running and watching how McColgan comes back after her injury plus her improvements in the past year. I'm not sure I'd follow the headline and say it will be a 'Hassan vs McColgan' though but this is a British headline. I would love it to be competitive and see Mc Colgan making more strives...

• Advertisement

• I'm probably going to get hammered for this but sometimes I dont think she takes her running seriously. She can appear very animated and look distracted before the gun even goes off sometimes.

Maybe I have it wrong and she just has a sunning disposition.

I think at least some of that may be down to her very obvious Australianness - having spent most of her life there, followed by the US scholarship, she has a very different personality to most Irish athletes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Likewise I may get hammered but I see what you are getting at. It's hard to read her, she has a big personality and a different way about to her to a lot of the Irish athletes we may be more accustomed to.

I found the post race interview slightly uncomfortable viewing, I thought the body language was tense coming from Sarah. I guess she was very disappointed going in as the hot favourite. She's come on a lot this year and I sincerely hope this doesn't set her back, she's was well capable of winning gold today just maybe didn't quite get her race tactics right on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I thought they should have interviewed them separately.. Hard on Healy to stand there when it kinda seemed like the race had been hers to lose. And yeah, knowing she has suffered with confidence previously I hope this won't set her back. Looks like there will be a rematch in two weeks at Nationals anyway going by the entry lists...

Sarah seems quite a serious person, reserved as well. She's not exactly the bright and bubbly and outgoing type.

I didn't think she ran a bad race at all. She actually had a good last lap, quickened up the pace considerably and the only runner she didn't drop was Sophie.

I agree on the last point - she and Sophie don't look close or as if they are bosom buddies.

I'm not sure what she could have done differently though. She quickened and quickened on that last lap and dropped all the field, bar one - it didn't look like she had messed up tactically.

• Maybe not leading the race from the start and sitting on the shoulders of the first two or three until the final lap or two...

Its a lot of pressure going into the race as favourite though and I agree they should've been interviewed separately, I would've been sickened if I was Sarah standing beside the winner and having to swallow a bitter pill in front of the camera.

Either way she did great and hopefully will redeem herself soon enough.

Isn't that her usual style though? She tends not to come from behind but rather to lead out on the last lap.

I'd be a tiny bit critical of her stance during the interview tbh. You have to learn how to lose graciously as well as win graciously - there are lots of races where tactics don't quite go to plan and you don't do as well as you expected.

• I was answering your previous question about how she could've been more tactical and to add to that if she's running every race the same way then perhaps a change of tactics is required. Sophie would've known her style and put the boot down on the home straight.

It's all well and good being graceful in defeat but if you were training all your life then you'd understandably be upset by a defeat after putting in the ground work.

She didn't exactly take a hissy fit, she just acted disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm not experienced in race tactics but Sarah seemed slow to react to Sophie's move and when she did it was too late. I thought maybe Sarah lost concentration and didn't respond to Sophie's kick quickly enough? It took Sophie to run a PB to claim the gold whereas Sarah seemed to be well within herself for Silver. Either way the Nats will be interesting. Sarah should definitely be out to right the wrong...

Advertisement