Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,150 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Massive golf! Some final hole. Well done Rory!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

5 and a half hours for 18 is ridiculous, but what a morning/afternoon of golf.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 38,526 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rory now attempts to become the second player in the 41 times the Scottish Open has been played to win it and the Open. Mickelson is the one who has done it.

He'll have a lot if confidence that he's back to his very best links golf which is a great thing going into the Open.

Where's that guy who quoted me yesterday and said that the wind would be difficult for Rory?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

On a side note, do a lot of golf fans/viewers suffer from ED?

lot of adverts for pills to fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

TV angle very poor for final putt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

He had a good look at birdy on 16 too. That was a phenomenal back 9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭blackcard

Brilliant shots at the last 2 holes by Rory, didn't fancy his chances after missing out at 16. Great for his confidence going in to the Open

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Respect, clinch approaches and putts on 17 and 18, don't remember Rors winning in that fashion before

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,630 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭boardise

That last round had everything -a few streaks from the pack , faltering and alternating leaders -culminating in an epic finish.

Rory doesn't always deliver when expected but he shows again he has all the shots and that nothing is beyond him. Thought he would do well to par the last and get in the play-off - with only 2 birdies at 18 out of 70 odd previous -by far the hardest hole averaging 4.68 ! The skill and mental strength he showed especially on the final two holes was extraordinary. Hats off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Probably more to do with the age profile of people who watch golf 👴👵

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Exactly. Golf audiences are typically older. And older guys typically play with less stiff shafts than younger guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Sky sports is a f**king disgrace. I couldn't watch it live as I was playing golf - you know, like a golf fan.

So I watched the recording from lunchtime and enjoyed every minute of it - for 6 hours and 3 minutes! - after watching every minute of it all weekend - right up to the point where Rory stood off from his drive on the 18th tee. And then, the coverage just cut off!!!

If this was 2 sh!t bag football teams you had never heard of playing in the Europa conference league, they would have an hour of talking bo11ocks at the end of the scheduled program in case it went to extra time!!!

I pay these fukkers a lot of money to watch this - really annoyed!

But, well done Rory - a steely performance, that might shut up the 'bottler' brigade until next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Just targeted ads on your laptop. Enjoy your weekend 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Noticed something where the programme ended at 1.30, then the next programme was more coverage. Seems insane it was set up as not linked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I was travelling to the West and keeping track on my phone. I stopped along the way for lunch and put on Sky Go. The only live coverage was ladies golf, so I clicked on that and managed to see Rory’s approach shot to the 18th and his winning putt.

But I have often been caught by events running late and I usually would remember to record the program after the program I was recording, just in case. But I sometimes forgot to do this and it always seemed to backfire on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

According to data golf Rory had a 4% chance of winning outright standing on the 17th tee!

Hopefully he can carry that form into next week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭boardise

My head is still fizzing from the enormity of what Rory did at the end. Up to then there had been only 4 birdies at the 17th and two at the 18th.

Yet with the wind blowing and under the pressure of the context he played the two holes in 5 shots.

The context had layers to it -he had lost out several times recently when in contention, he had led this tournament by 2 at stages and by general agreement had missed umpteen feasible chances to have it in his pocket before rd.4, he was the world no.3 who was in danger of being upstaged by the world 109 , if he lost out he would carry that psychological burden into the Open . His response was clutch play on another level. Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Open is next week, let’s not get too carried away about a tournament some might see as just practice time on links before the big one.

Great to see him win, but the real business starts Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Its a Rolex series event its a big tournament! and the way he done it was next level stuff Plus has never won like that in his career. Reminds me of 2014 when he won a Major & world golf event the following week was just unstoppable! Great viewing 17 & 18 was just unbelievable golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

A really great win by Rory. He needed this regardless of the open next week imho. He had left a few wins behind him since his last win.

It reminded me of how he won the Irish open all those years ago when he played 16 & 18 (iirc) so brilliantly. The way he played the final 3 holes yesterday was excellent, but those final 2 holes were golfing nirvana. It doesn't get better than that!!

P.s. this win coming right before the British open in 'links' type conditions will do him a lot of good. He's won 1 of his 4 majors when winning the week before, so it augurs well too imho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

It was a big win in the context of how he did it - particularly given he hasn't closed out well recently. Losing another tournament having led going into the final round wouldn't have been the best for his confidence. Obviously this week is the important one but I think he'll be very satisfied with how he closed out that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

5 shots for the last two holes. Versus 19 shots for Fleetwood and Kim combined. Incredible finish!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

they were expensive around the green shots and putts on 18 alright, especially Kim who looked flustered like he was putting out of turn

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Rory must have thrown some party. As of 14:40 on Monday, none of the Irish lads who played through the weekend (i.e. all bar Seamus) have booked practice slots for Monday or Tuesday in Hoylake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

They would have played the course over the last few weeks plus would know it well. Doubt he threw a party wouldnt be like shane..

Advertisement