Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Yes, and I see in todays press that the town traders (very predominantly nationalist) issued a warm welcome to hosting the twelfth (not surprising given it that it and The Oul Lamas Fair are the two biggest crowds of the year for the small town. Meanwhile the sf concillor tries to manufacture bad press

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'd be curious to see that statement, Downcow. Directly from local traders was it, or someone second hand making claims about local trade?

I know that back in my home town, most of the local businesses close for the day, so there certainly isn't a boost in trade for any there except perhaps pubs and takeaways.

sorry to raise again the faux concern of several posters on here about the safety of young unionists in the 3-4 months of activity leading up to the eleventh bonfires.

Just saw this tweet and wondered if this was a young loyalist talking about his involvement in building bonfires over the last 10 years - “So many stitches and subsequent scars, 2 concussions, front teeth knocked out, hurley (pallet) broken across my back at 16 which has kindly manifested in back problems in my 40’s. But all part and parcel of the game, and no-one’s fault. Awful precedent to set, insurance costs will soar!”.

the whole thread is worth a read. A catologue of life changing injuries and the main concern is will the insurance demands end the sport. I hope not, but when you think that many who love that sport are shining a torch at every indescretion and risk in bonfire building. Maybe it will come home to roost!

would you not smell a rat of unionist politicians were constantly raising their deep concern that young people might get injured at Gaelic sport? Interwoven with their concern about the environmental impact of moving teams around Ireland in coaches?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Oul Lamas Fair

Is that the fair where the UVF planted 3 bombs?

The town traders and residents allowed the parade to happen despite previous problems and banning of THIS band, there is no doubt about that. This band have now probably put that conciliation in doubt. All the rules from the Parades Commission broken are underlined here.

BTW Did you apologise for posting a tweet about the SF councillor that was from a few years ago and was not related to this incident downcow?

@blanch152 you never commented on the black and tan military uniforms these guys were wearing with the Parachute Regiment pins and Iron Cross symbol while carrying UVF banners. A few days before this parade they were marching to honour Trevor King (look that lovely fella up) Didn't you find that 'chilling'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Safety in sport IS an issue, Downcow. One that receives much publicity globally (look into all the talk AND ACTION around concussions and head injuries in the sporting world recently). While you'll certainly have some old farts complaining about kids these days being soft, I welcome progress made to ensure young people's safety.

If I was to talk about the relative risk of injury, I'd warrant that climbing a hundred foot unsecured tower of pallets with no safety equipment while carrying a five gallon jug of petrol probably carries a higher risk than contact sports, be it soccer, hurling or rugby.

Whether you like it or not, the fact of the matter is that a closer eye is being kept on things like this now, and we are seeing absolutely horrendous injuries given media coverage. The immediate and traumatic nature of these injuries is going to catch people's attention more than someone talking about how a Junior B Hurling game 40 years ago gave them back problems, so no amount of whataboutery is going to deflect enough to make it not an issue.

• Advertisement

Francie you continue to try and concoct a story around this. Unless you can evidence otherwise then you are simply telling lies. The Parades Commission website says that the parade was not ‘sensitive’ and there was no ‘protest’ planned. I see no reference to eg hymn music only etc.

as for me using an older pic, I specifically said that that was my point ie same spot, same team of shinners, different year!

The shinners couldn’t even get have a dozen locals to complain. So they turn up with their most notorious and disrespected (and well known) councillor. They stand in the crowd wearing GAA tops. They could get zero reaction. So with the last of the 30 bands passing, it’s **** or bust, so they start walking backwards and forwards through the band. Everyone can see exactly what is happening. How you can continue to try and place the blame anywhere other than the illegal sf protest and agitation is incredible and doesn’t do your credibility any good.

I havent bothered looking up the other stuff, sounds like straight out of this mornings Sunday Lies.

I have no idea why you are raising Uvf bombs (that if I recall we’re not even viable) but since you have, here is some of what the Ira got up to in this sleepy seaside village. The sf agitators standing in the crowd would have be closely alligned, in minds of spectators, with these tragedies - all the more provocative.

• “On that day, the Irish Republican Army bombed five hotels in different seaside towns in Northern Ireland, including Ballycastle’s Marine Hotel. William Whitten, a 65-year-old Protestant hotel guest, was seriously injured in the blast; he died three weeks later.
    • Spence McGarry (46), an off duty member of the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC), was killed when a Provisional Irish Republican Army booby trap bomb attached to his car exploded in Castle Street car park, Ballycastle on 6 April 1991.

full marks to the twelfth revellers who didn’t get drawn into the sf trap

😁😁

'Concoct'?

Everything I posted is true.

Previously banned = check

Wearing miltary uniform in contravention of PC rules = Check

Wearing Para pins = Check

Excessively loud = Check

Displaying UVF banners = Check

Previously celebrating a Loyalist killer = Check

Did the UVF previously try to bomb the Auld Lamas Fair = Check

They broke the rules multiple times in Ballycastle which is why SF (local elected reps BTW) wish to meet the PC about this band.

I haven't heard anyone say they want to ban the parade.

Fionn you are doing it again. You say “and we are seeing absolutely horrendous injuries”. The facts don’t support this. We have tens of thousand of people involved, and republican keyboard warriors scanning social media to find injuries - and they can find little. It’s very tragic, but it needs kept in perspective. We had the first death, I have ever heard of, last year. We had a lad fall and get significant injuries this year, but no more than many sports men get and not life changing. Do you realise how often we have young people killed on horses, skateboards, bikes, etc.

i was nervous this year that someone would get badly injured or worse on the fires, and I have purposely not watched the young lad falling. I realise there are risks. I wish the fires were not as high. In fact the fire closest to me is enormous but it is a big mound, if that makes sense, so no one can take a serious fall off it - the benifit is that more of the community can help with the build.

I genuinely wish republicans would get out of this space. The more they call for less fires and smaller fires, the the more and the bigger fires will get. And they know that - so they are just doing with fires what the sf councillor was doing in Ballycastle. Their mocking of the young lad falling was a disgrace

I am not going to play anymore with you on this one. You posted up a supposed declaration from the parades commission on this parade. We have found it to be made up.

you resort to spinning to all the stuff I did not bother checking and is historic. We could do that with any group - try me if you like - do you want some stuff on the GAA, sf, whatever?

you even say, “which is why SF (local elected reps BTW) wish to meet the PC about this band.”

I assume you do know it was “SF (local elected reps BTW) tried to provoke the band at the parade oh” oh

• Advertisement

I am not going to play anymore with you on this one. You posted up a supposed declaration from the parades commission on this parade. We have found it to be made up.

I said nothing about it being a 'declaration on this parade'. That is a general list of rules from the Parades Commission found here:

untitled (paradescommission.org)

you resort to spinning to all the stuff I did not bother checking and is historic. We could do that with any group - try me if you like - do you want some stuff on the GAA, sf, whatever?

You haven't checked, yet you claim I am spinning? 😁😁

you even say, “which is why SF (local elected reps BTW) wish to meet the PC about this band.”

I assume you do know it was “SF (local elected reps BTW) tried to provoke the band at the parade oh” oh

The band were provoking by even a cursory glance at the PC's terms long before the fella crossed the road.

And I suspect the PC will have no option but to once again ban them as their behaviour is leading to the possibility of disorder.

The OO will never learn that to be given permission requires them to behave with respect.

Jesus, 'we are doing it because of the Shinners' is some reflection on you.

Good lord, where are the adults on this stuff?

Look at what republican/nationalist communities are doing to persuade youngsters that this is just obscene and toxic behaviour.

Toxic to you francie. I heard kids interviewed a few weeks ago and they said the eleventh night was better than Christmas. I think you actually know what this means to loyalist kids and how it absorbs many of them for 4 months.

I could start about eg the concerning elements of the Irish competitive dance scene etc, but I don’t care. That’s up to the moms and dads to sort out and I’m sure they’ll do the right thing. I guess I’m not jealous of or infatuated by that scene so I can let it slide by.

francie stop focusing on unionist culture. Irish culture has lots going for it as well. Focus on building it. Yeah is it

Burning stuff will attract youngsters everywhere downcow.

That doesn’t mean diddly squat.

Look at what other communities are doing to enrich lives rather than encouraging hate and sectarianism. Instead of looking for deficiencies in other cultures take a long hard look at your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Arent you the fella that blamed the parents for wanting theit children to have an education fot causing the holycross situation. Did you ever apoligize for that remark and loyalist scum throwing piss at young children

What do you expect, as soon as you're approaching belfast central station you are greeted with union jacks, uvf flags and israeli flags. Hardly welcoming for a tourist to see various terrorist flags. Should be taken down and burnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

That’s a pretty nasty accusation. No I am not that guy. So maybe you would do the decent thing and retract that ridiculous comment

the comment you are quoting is about the Shankill. Not sure how you manage to go through it on your approach to Central Station. Or maybe you just lumping all them’uns in together.

I haven’t seen the flags you refer to but it doesn’t sound like any of them are illegal?. Would you just have a wee list of all the flags that upset you and they should not be allowed? Two of them wouldn’t be my choice of flag to put up, but it’s a free country so work away.

Francie here is what your community is doing for sectarianism and hate.

booked again. They know that this ensures unionists will not attend the festival and they know how much the up the ra chant hurts victims every year. Will they do the tiniest bit for reconciliation? Absolutely not

• Advertisement

You made them on one of the other threads,,maybe one of the many threads you are banned from. Shows the type of your ilk

From the poster who a few pages ago was saying people need to harden up.

Feile is a damn sight more cultural than burning stolen pallets and effigies of people and getting sodden drunk in a field. And it isn’t on Loyalists streets and interface areas. You can choose to go or not or indeed listen or not. IE you have to go out of your way to be offended.

It also caters for a whole range of cultural pursuits but that would be lost on you.

I have no problem with robust argument, and indeed I have a very think skin when I comes to the abuse I take on here. I rarely report a post but if you do not either unambiguously retract this accusation or provide a link to evidence, I will have little choice.

I don’t need you to be correct word for word, but I need you to provide the link to me even implying such nonsense. It is so far from what I believe. I actually believe that, unless someone is setting out to offend, then they should pretty much be allowed to walk where they like.

so I wait for you to play fair on this.

o deary me. Looks like we might all be in the same boat.

seems you are either not a Celt or you are an occupier!

maybe us occupiers can join together in a UI and ask forgiveness of the original inhabitants. We should find it easier to tolerate each other if we can clarify that we are all invaders of the Emerald Isle

Francie I have no problem with west Belfast festival continuing to have the up the ra band as their big event. Fill your boots. It’s the hypocrisy I smile at

Bottom line. You have a choice with Féile downcow.

The people of Ballycastle (over 70% Nationalist)and in many other places, don't have a choice. You people are not happy (see boinfires, trying to cause conflict over Drumcree etc) unless there is taunting with banners, music and burning.

Francie seems like some other good soul just happened to have their video running. The internet is awash with accusations of the troublemaker being attacked by bandsmen. As I said earlier, not a finger laid on him. This video only begins after he has crossed from the other side, through same band. And he had crossed backwards and forwards many times. This was his last chance as this was the last band. 10 secs later the street was going to be clear.

we’ll see what parades commission says. Francie reckons the band will be banned for not all jumping out of the shinners way in time as he walked into them

downcow, that is the result of taunting and provocation.

The guy shouldn't have reacted but there is clear evidence this band are no saints and will have a case to answer under PC's rules. They were banned before and if they don't reform, they will be again and hell rub it up them.

The traders of ballycastle welcomed them francie. It’s just that rump of belligerent republicans that had a problem.

• Advertisement

They seemed to be impeccably behaved from where I was looking. Could you enlighten us what they were doing that upset you? Breathing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement